so while watching the superbowl halftime show last night i saw my new favorite guitar. it was tom petty's main backup guitarists, that deadly blue les paul (i am pretty sure thats what it is). I just am wondering is that actually what it is, if not can someone give me the details on it.
Oh, and I am guessing that is customed to high heaven with the paint job and such, where could a guy go to get that done?Thanks
I thought the same thing while watching, I didn't think it was a Les Paul. Anybody know what that guitar was? It was beautiful!
i dont think it was a les paul...

the cut looked small
SG COMMANDO #2041

Guitar:

1967 Gibson SG Jr.
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone MM-30E

Amp
Fender Blues Jr. NOS (tweed, bitches)
Pedals

Modded TS9
Cusack Screamer Fuzz V2
Mid-Fi Pitch Pirate
Line 6 DL4
uhhhh he's talking about Tom Petty's backup guitarIST not backup guitar. Tom Petty started with a Rickenbacker and then switched to the tele. His backup guitarist had a blue Les Paul with like a racer stripe paint job and then switched to a dual-necked guitar.

Which I was actually about to start a thread on. Dual-necked guitar... cool stage idea or lame and expensive gimmick? Discuss.
dual necked guitars are only necessary if you can play very well and can make quick transitions from one neck to another
otherwise they're really just for show
Guitars:
'13 MIM Fender Strat - '05 Epi G-400
Amps:
Fender HRD - VHT Special 6 Ultra -
Jet City JCA20H - Mesa Rectifier 2x12
Pedulz:
Slash Wah - OCD v1.7 - Red Llama MKII -
Big Muff Pi - Carbon Copy - Phase 90 - Ditto Looper
it was a dan electro.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Quote by B. Heath
dual necked guitars are only necessary if you can play very well and can make quick transitions from one neck to another

he used one neck for one song then transitioned immediatly to another song in a different tuning, sounds like it was necessary to me (because of time issues, if he needed a guitar in a different tuning he coulda grabbed one, just not if they were only alotted 12 minutes)
Quote by B. Heath

As was last night.
Quote by yoursweatersux
uhhhh he's talking about Tom Petty's backup guitarIST not backup guitar. Tom Petty started with a Rickenbacker and then switched to the tele. His backup guitarist had a blue Les Paul with like a racer stripe paint job and then switched to a dual-necked guitar.

Which I was actually about to start a thread on. Dual-necked guitar... cool stage idea or lame and expensive gimmick? Discuss.

Start a thread then. Don't hijack this thread.
Be cool.
back on track, due to the body styling and trem, im almost 100% positive its a gretsch
I dunno, the headstock wasn't very Gretsch-like....
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
The blue guitar that Mike Campbell was playing is a Dusenberg. It's actually the "Mike Campbell Signature Model".
i didnt get a good look at the headstock =/

has anyone consulted our good friend, whats his name?, goggle? =P
Quote by Wulver
I dunno, the headstock wasn't very Gretsch-like....

Oh good call. I thought it was a Les Paul for some reason.

But yeah, I'll say this, it did seem like in this particular instance the dual neck was kind of necessary because of the quick transition between the second and third songs (which was definitely due to time constraints... they barely cleaned up the field in time for the 2nd half). I'm sure if they could've gotten away with it the whole band probably would've been pressured to play the same instruments for every song in the set to cut down time, but I guess that was unrealistic. American Girl is a LOT different from Running Down a Dream
Mike Campbell plays Deusenbergs.

See link above/google the company. Very quality. I want a starplayer.