I am doing these stretching exercises and I have found that some of the really big stretches cause some discomfort/cramping in my thumb.

It's not the thumb itself but the muscle I use to push the thumb into the back of the neck.

At the start of the exercise my thumb is in the middle of the neck and on a slight angle, by the time I get to the higher notes my thumb is very close to the bottom of the fretboard and almost parallel to the neck.

So am I doing something wrong or will this cramp go away?
I must be doing something very wrong if know one has experienced this problem.
When you play the higher notes, you're thumb should be around the middle of the neck. When you're playing the lower notes, you're thumb should move to the opposite side of the neck. It'll give your fingers better reach. If anything hurts when you're playing, you should stop straight away because there's probably something wrong with your technique. If you watch any of Paul Gilberts instructional stuff, take a look at his hands because he has excellent technique.
Quote by ixelion
It's not the thumb itself but the muscle I use to push the thumb into the back of the neck.

That's your problem I reckon; you shouldn't really need to put much pressure on your thumb so I think you need to develop your finger strength a bit more before you go doing crazy stretches.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
It's very difficult to keep the thumb in the middle when fretting the high notes but I will try, I think my main problem was that I was pushing with my thumb rather than with my fingers.

think you need to develop your finger strength a bit more before you go doing crazy stretches.

I think I will focus on the easy ones and keep the crazy ones for when my fingers are stronger.

Can anyone actually do the biggest stretch on the John Petrucci left hand exercise? lol it seems impossible... :P
Quote by ixelion
Can anyone actually do the biggest stretch on the John Petrucci left hand exercise? lol it seems impossible... :P

Yeah but it's quite difficult if you're going to do it with your index finger past about the 5-6th frets

R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I can see your thumb in that picture is fairly low on the neck, so it seems like it's not bad thing since you can do that big ass stretch at the second fret.

Do you find it necessary to angle the neck that much when doing that? Your almost vertical.

I cant do many of the stretches without angling it quite steep as well, it's strange though because Paul Gilbert and all those guys normally play with the neck relatively parallel.

Another thing that I was doing wrong wast that I started the exercise on the lower frets and went up which is probably a more difficult route, I will try it the normal way and see if it's any better.

It's funny I dont notice how bad my fretting hand is until I try to do these :P
Last edited by ixelion at Feb 7, 2008,