hey my amp doesnt have a master volume knob so does anyone have a diagram/schematic for a volume knob that just has inupt output and one knob. no bypass switch needed. I would run this at the end of my effects loop.
If its not fender than whatever]
So you want a master volume knob on your amp? You should be able to hook a pot (prolly 100K) to the speaker. Connect the pos. speaker terminal to the middle lug of the pot and connect the [pos.] signal to lug 3 (looking at the pot from the back). Connect lug 1 to ground (not to the back of the pot body). That should do it.
its a fender fm 212r.... i dont want to acturaly put a volume knob IN the amp i just basicaly want to make a stomp box with one knob for volume but no stomp. Complatly external.

BTW i probobly will get a volume pedal but for practice and what not its nomaly too loud i need a little more controll. hence master volume
ya.... um how do i do it with just the input jack output jack and knob?

NO SWITCH NO LED NO POWER
Use two mono jacks..

Just wire the two tips together but break thr path with the pot. Ground the sleeve to the back of the pot, all though that is not reallt nessicary.
but this really is no different from the volume knob on your guitar
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
i dont need to replace the "ground wire from bridge" with anything do I?
Quote by ICANSEEYOU7687

Exactly, but the topic starter seems to think this is a master volume.
Quote by ffud
i dont need to replace the "ground wire from bridge" with anything do I?

You can ignore that wire. To use a wire to ground the pot casing to anything else would be rather superfluous.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Quote by ICANSEEYOU7687
Actually there's a big difference between this and a volume knob on the guitar. Volume knobs on guitars generally affect the tone as they are turned down. The output impedance on the pups and controls varies significanty as the vol is reduced. Putting a volume pot after the FX loop doesn't have an affect on the tone because the circuit is fully buffered at that point. The 250K pot in the JPG is too high a resistance to be used in a buffered circuit. Although it will work a 25K pot is generally used in what are called "active" volume pedals. The term active or passive wrt volume pedals refers to the device in front of the pedal and not whether the pedal has active circuitry. A guitar would be considered passive and an FX loop would be considered active.
So what if you used this application in a pedal that ran in front of an amp. Say like a tube amp. If one was to wire up a pedal with a volume knob and a footswitch, and had the guitar's volume cranked and the pedal's volume much lower and lets just say for instance a 15watt single channel tube amp with the gain cranked and the master volume at a playable level, would this just kind of make it so you could switch from a more crunch sound to a cleaner sound? Kind of like a reverse overdrive channel footswitch without an actual switchable channel? Just curious if that would actually work.
Quote by kurtlives91
Exactly, but the topic starter seems to think this is a master volume.

my amp is just not controllabole enough? what else do you suggest?
so which channel are you talking about on that amp? the overdrive channel has a master volume (well a gain knob and a volume knob), the clean is the only one that doesnt. so just match your volumes and just play at a lower level. the funny thing about fender amps is they use linear taper pots insted of audio taper meaning that 90% of the volume increase happens in the first 30% of the rotation. what you could do is replace all the 250k linear pots with 250k or even 500k audio pots, but that requires getting in the amp and soldering and stuff. the problem with doing a volume pedal in your effects loop only really affects the preamp power and not anything after that (well in most effects loops anyways). so what you really need is some type of attenuator but since its a solid state it really isnt going to do much. just my thoughts anyways
its not that the two channels arnt balanced (i mainly play clean on amp) its that im controlling 100watts with only one knob... gets too loud way too fast
Quote by ffud
its not that the two channels arnt balanced (i mainly play clean on amp) its that im controlling 100watts with only one knob... gets too loud way too fast

thats because of those linear pots. my fender does the same thing until i switched them out. you could take it to a tech and have him switch them out for 500k audio taper pots and it will be a lot more controllable