I am looking too purchase a drum machine. Mostly for recording demos, small live performances, etc. For the past two years I have used an old Roland from the 80's which just has pre-set patterns, and I need to upgrade. I am between the Boss Dr. Rhythm DR-3 and the Alesis Sr-16

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Alesis-SR-16-Stereo-Drum-Machine-100303451-i1154731.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Boss-Dr--Rhythm-DR-3-102087848-i1153908.gc

So far I've heard the Boss has better sounds, but the Alesis is easier to use (less of a learning curve).
in the gear ads section somebody is selling the Alesis drum machine youre talkin about.

just giving you the heads up

im interested to see what responses you get here cos im in need of a drum machine myself.
i cant seem to get "software" drums to work on my computer
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

I find software to be a pain in the balls. It is ridiculously expensive (for anything decent), a bitch to work, and you have to have a good computer in order to run all your software. But this is coming form a guy who still uses a 4 track cassette recorder.
I have a Boss DR-770. I don't really have the time to familiarize myself with it but tonally it walks all over both of those.

It was bosses flagship drum machine for quite a few years until the 880 came in.

If you're interested in it I'd be willing to sell it for about $220.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I don't know if you have any percussion background or not. I have been a drummer for years and a lot of the students really enjoy this tool.Not only can you play it like a real set but it does have an unlimited number of samples and presets. Take a look it really is pretty cool.
I feel boss and Roland are by far the best when it comes to their V-drum modules so I would think they use the same sounds in the drum machines they put out.

The Alesis is a nice unit and great at the price but I would probably go with the Boss.

I would have to test each in person like at a GC first to see which I liked best though.

Sound
easy programing
good user interface
good inputs and outputs

those are all I would take into account when looking at these machines.

The Yamaha DD 55 and 65 are ok for home playing, (and only home playing...) since the triggers react slow in these kits. You wont be able to do any buzz rolls and the sounds are only and limited.
You could try trigging a drum program using the MIDI connections which would probably stop the slow triggering but I'm not sure how well it works out.
I grew up on the DD55 and would not get another, once I sold mine and moved up to a Roland kit I never looked back.
Last edited by moody07747 at Feb 4, 2008,