Page 1 of 2
Mkay.....so i used the search bar and nothing, so here goes...

What do you think are some energy issues? I'm not talking about the laws of energy and stuff, but electricity energy. Power plants. Energy consumption. Efficiency. Is nuclear energy the way to go? Should we abondon coal? How can we use less energy while being more efficient? <--- That kind of stuff.

This may fall into pollution and eco-stuff, but let's try to keep it at energy-related issues. Even though i don't mind if you say "We need to find a more efficient alternative to oil, or coal, or whatever natural resources we're depleting."

Er....this is kind of for school, but i thought it would be interesting to discuss. We have threads on obesity, the environment, why not one on energy?

So, discuss.
Quote by SOADrox429
'Bring me the still-beating heart of a newborn child, and the world's rivers shall run red with the blood of the innocent.'

<\/> Fleshgod Apocalypse <\/>
Perpetual Motion
Quote by soulflyV
Prepare to have every orifice in your body occupied by a dwarf.
solar power at the moment is way to expensive and wind is inefficient. natural gas is renewable but to a certain extent it takes millions of years for it to form. nuclear gets a bad rep because people think melt down and it means BOOM dead bodies no in fact there is no boom and a melt down that actually causes an explosion is extremely rare so it should be the energy of the future
I think that people will only learn to conserve once it hits their pocketbooks. We take our earth for granted.
Don't bash Hip-Hop or Rap, it just makes you look like an idiot.
Quote by Chobes
Solar ftw! Renewable, no pollution, already invented, etc.

Yeah, but for it to be really effective, you'd need lots of panels and those things are costly. Unless there was a way to improve them, mmm?

Z0MG!!! M3H GOTZ TA EATZES TEH BR000TAL DINN3RZ!!! LOLROFLMAOMFGBBQSAUCE!!!!!!!

^ I hated typing that.
Quote by SOADrox429
'Bring me the still-beating heart of a newborn child, and the world's rivers shall run red with the blood of the innocent.'

Quote by Chobes

agreed.

even though it can be somewhat costly now, in the end i see this as the future. as it becomes more mainstream in the coming years, it'll be mass produced and most likely a lot cheaper than it is now.
the game
Quote by OfficerSxyPants
solar power at the moment is way to expensive and wind is inefficient. natural gas is renewable but to a certain extent it takes millions of years for it to form. nuclear gets a bad rep because people think melt down and it means BOOM dead bodies no in fact there is no boom and a melt down that actually causes an explosion is extremely rare so it should be the energy of the future

True, but good luck making them forget about Chernobyl.
Quote by dylpikle9
Good luck making them forget about Chernobyl.

this was an extremely rare event with the new safety methods it is almost impossible for that to happen again
Quote by OfficerSxyPants
(Nuclear) it should be the energy of the future

Try storing the waste.

Quote by shuriken
as it becomes more mainstream in the coming years, it'll be mass produced and most likely a lot cheaper than it is now.

Agreed, the technology will most likely improve thus lowering the prices.
Quote by OfficerSxyPants

New wind turbines can now produce +7 megawatts, which can power 5000 homes. Sounds pretty efficient to me.
Quote by Chobes
Try storing the waste.

Agreed, the technology will most likely improve thus lowering the prices.

i never said it was the best way but it will more than likely be the next energy source. solar is much cleaner and better but its going to take a long time before we can make it efficient enough to use as our main source. this was one of maybe 3 things i learned in my environmental science class in 8th grade
How can an energy source that the US has stopped building since the 70's all of a sudden become the next main energy source out of the blue? Scratch that, I looked it up, governments are making an attempt at building more nuclear power plants.

Still most people don't want a whole new nuclear power plant right next door even if they have become safer, the image of Chernobyl still sticks out.

I would be fine with more nuclear power though.
Last edited by Chobes at Feb 4, 2008,
Quote by Chobes

I would have to agree on this.
We sailed through endless skies...

Quote by King Twili

if someone sigs this i will be fairly displeased.

Lady Gaga has a penis! >>EVIDENCE<<

i¯i▀▀▀i¯i‾°δ‾‾Pך]█████████████████████████
^ So crap can be used as an energy source?
Quote by SOADrox429

Wave energy is totally the way to go, it uses kinetic energy from the waves to make electricity thats totally clean and is efficient as well, like wind but more efficient and cheaper than solar
Quote by Machine Gun Cat
Wave energy is totally the way to go, it uses kinetic energy from the waves to make electricity thats totally clean and is efficient as well, like wind but more efficient and cheaper than solar

Won't that only work for coastal regions?
renewable all the way, wind tidal geothermal hydro, but it wont make much difference, oil wil run out in the next 25 years and if they dont find some bad ass energy resource to replace it were all guna b really f u c k'd . . . . .
Quote by FrenchyFungus
I am not a woman as I currently claim

Quote by Rabid
I am actually a woman, unlike Frenchy
Were not really fawked, people lived with no electricity 300 years ago.
Why not again? We've got acoustic guitars don't we?
Now, it's another thing if you consider that our ancestors were fawked since they had no electricity...
Quote by Chobes

except that....not working at night thing
I was actually thinking about this the other day: food. Living things get their energy from food. Food can be grown (food crops and so on). So why can't we just grow a fuel source? I don't mean our future cars should run on hamburgers, but it would surely be possible to create a fuel from some sort of plant - can't you already do that with oilseed rape or similar plants?

I'm by no means an expert on such matters and this is just something that crossed my mind when I was taking a shower. Yeah, I guess I go into deep thought mode when I'm in the shower. So it's just the skeleton of an idea: could anyone who knows more about this sort of thing give a reason why this wouldn't work?
Quote by whirleygig
I was actually thinking about this the other day: food. Living things get their energy from food. Food can be grown (food crops and so on). So why can't we just grow a fuel source? I don't mean our future cars should run on hamburgers, but it would surely be possible to create a fuel from some sort of plant - can't you already do that with oilseed rape or similar plants?

I'm by no means an expert on such matters and this is just something that crossed my mind when I was taking a shower. Yeah, I guess I go into deep thought mode when I'm in the shower. So it's just the skeleton of an idea: could anyone who knows more about this sort of thing give a reason why this wouldn't work?

erm, its already happening, biodiesel, ethanol

except theres that whole starving people problem
^ I did think of the 'starving people problem' - I realise there's millions of starving people in the world, but the fact is we're really not doing all that much to help them as it is. The west has huge stocks of food which just sit in warehouses, never being eaten.

And okay, if it's already being used, why not to a greater extent? There must be a reason that it hasn't caught on as much as solar or wind power.
I forget what the name of it was called, but weren't a group of UN-funded scientists trying to recreate nuclear fusion (The reaction that powers the Sun) on a controllable scale?
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by Ichimaru
I forget what the name of it was called, but weren't a group of UN-funded scientists trying to recreate nuclear fusion (The reaction that powers the Sun) on a controllable scale?

its the "controllable scale" part thats tricky, and getting out more energy than you put in
Zero-Point Energy (ZPE) tapping, everybody should research and read this theory. It postulates that energy can be obtained from any point in the universe. This has already been proven by scientific data (but has yet to be approved by the scientific community) but the problem is the technology to tap this energy is still in its infancy or is unfeasable at the moment. It has yet to be proved whether this energy can be tapped to power our homes and laptops and not just magnetize feathers with our hands.
Last edited by [Sniper] at Feb 7, 2008,
Quote by seljer

Results 1 - 10 of about 6,485 for biofuels.
Results 1 - 10 of about 17,378 for wind power.

I still think it should be more widely known. Thanks for addressing my point in such a thorough way, though
It's great that there are a lot of solutions to finding a new energy source, but what do you think are some problems that we have today that could be fixed with new forms of acquiring energy?
Quote by SOADrox429

Quote by OfficerSxyPants
solar power at the moment is way to expensive

The United States could pay to cover all of Mexico in solar panels for less than they have spent fighting the Iraq war.

It's priorities. The money is there, but nobody wants to be bothered.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
We should get get rid of Wyoming and replace it with a giant solar panel.
Quote by IzRG350
We should get get rid of Wyoming and replace it with a giant solar panel.

See, this man should be in the white house.
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
It's inevitable we will need renewable energy sources but there should be continued research into nuclear fusion.
Screw solar power, it would take a solar panel the size of europe to power a city the size of London.

Nuclear seems to be the most viable solution.
"It's funny how most people love the dead. Once you're dead, you're made for life" - Jimi Hendrix

Quote by TheClincher
Is it incest if I had sex with my brother in law's half sister? Because if it is, it was so ****ing worth it.
Quote by armstrong26491
Screw solar power, it would take a solar panel the size of europe to power a city the size of London.

Nuclear seems to be the most viable solution.

You know that energy solutions require a mix of resources, we can never depend on one source. That being said, solar energy can play a huge role in the world's mix. Solar panels on every roof, and solar farms where possible could create a very significant contribution to the global power grid. Dare I say, 25%?
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Hydrogen would be a great fuel source.
Indie Rock in Spanish. Good idea or not? intelligent feed back would be appreciated.
Page 1 of 2