Is this possible, and/or unique? Would it not work at all, or what? Has anyone ever tried this or is it bad for a guitar? Stupid question, but I've wondered it for a while so...
No...the nylon wouldn't affect the magnetic field or w/e that pickups use to pick up sound...
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
dude go for it it will totally work, i do everyday.
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.
Dont you guys think that the lack of tension would cause the neck to warp??
Hello
Quote by Skynyrd890
No...the nylon wouldn't affect the magnetic field or w/e that pickups use to pick up sound...

What he said. The pickups produce the sound by 'reading' the metal strings passing over the magnets, for lack of a better explanation. Therefore, since nylon strings are not metal, the pickups wouldn't 'read' them, and no sound would be transmitted to the amp.
Our band could be your life

Epic Fail.
The thing with tension, is truss rods are adjustable. One would just have to make a truss rod adjustment to deal with the lack of tension, just as if tuning 8's down to B standard.

The magnetic pickups would not pickup up the treble strings, but it would pick up with bass strings, as they have silver winding, which would disturb the magnets.

I would think the main problem would be attaching them as they need to tie onto the bridge.
It also isn't actually unique either, they have been making Classical guitars with pick-ups for awhile (Nylon strings can effect piezo pick-ups because they actually contact the string). So you can do it with piezos, a few guitarists do have piezos on electric guitars, usually to simulate acoustic guitars a bit closer, but they don't use nylon strings.

There isn't any real point putting them on a standard electric guitar though. It is possible, but there really isn't a particular good reason, that I can think of. Just using a classic guitar with piezo pick-ups could easily do all that stuff anyways.
Only if your guitar has piezo pups.
...Bleep Bloop...
Quote by anti_hipsters
What he said. The pickups produce the sound by 'reading' the metal strings passing over the magnets, for lack of a better explanation. Therefore, since nylon strings are not metal, the pickups wouldn't 'read' them, and no sound would be transmitted to the amp.

what he said. nylon isn't magnetic, pickups demand magnetism!
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Quote by bjoern_swe
what he said. nylon isn't magnetic, pickups demand magnetism!

MOST pickups demand magnetism.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
The pickups work by induction, the string acts in a changing magnetic field, the string moving over the magnet creates the changing magnetic field. This induces a charge on the coil and thus gives the signal which is then turned into a sound. This will only work with strings made of a ferrous metal, those containing iron. That's for standard pickups, I don't know anything about Piezo's.

I never thought Leaving Cert Physics would actually come in handy
I use:

Epiphone Les Paul Custom, in white

Epiphone Dove

Vox AD30
With piezos, no problem. With something like a set of RMC saddles, you can set up pretty much any guitar for nylon string operation. Here's another one:

Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!