Sorry if this is in the wrong place.
Well the science fair is coming up at our school. A friend and I wanted to do a project related to guitars. We decided to experiment on how different woods make different tones. Any suggestions on how to approach this? If you guys have any other suggestions for a project, feel free to tell me.
To answer: Get a bunch of guitars with different woods, load them with the same pickups. It's going to be a pricey experiment. I'd say that you should do something about how the guitar pickups work. That would be an ace science fair thing.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I'd say that you should do something about how the guitar pickups work. That would be an ace science fair thing.

+1
The wood thing wood (see what I did there......I'll get my coat) be awesome but I can see it being as hatebreeder said, pricey. Pickups would definately be the simpler choice. Or you could even do the difference between solid state and tube amps .
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Thanks guys, I'll have to discuss with my friend.
Can this be done without doing anything to the guitars themselves? My friend and I could probably head off the local guitar shop and try the guitars with EMGs, since most of them have the 81/60 combo
Quote by dk2
Thanks guys, I'll have to discuss with my friend.
Can this be done without doing anything to the guitars themselves? My friend and I could probably head off the local guitar shop and try the guitars with EMGs, since most of them have the 81/60 combo

EMGs will not be the most ideal thing for testing the differences between tone woods.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Simple. Get cuts of different wood, exactly the same size, mount them all between two metal brackets, get a hammer and lightly tap each one. Measure with an occilliscope and a DB meter.
Quote by uldhppi
Simple. Get cuts of different wood, exactly the same size, mount them all between two metal brackets, get a hammer and lightly tap each one. Measure with an occilliscope and a DB meter.

This man will get you an A+ TS.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Well, unless standards have changed, don't you have to come up with a hypothesis or something and try to prove/disprove it for a good science project? Personally, unless its something you can measure and make fact of, tis not gonna fly. Science and experiments is about facts, not opinions. Unless you could find a way to measure the EQ response, I can't see it getting a very good grade.