Poll: If money were no object, which amp would you prefer?
Poll Options
View poll results: If money were no object, which amp would you prefer?
Framus Cobra
16 44%
Soldano SLO
19 53%
Other [specify in post]
1 3%
Voters: 36.
Page 1 of 2
I've played both at Guitar Center several times through both Celestion V30s and Greenback-filled 4x12s. I like them both. But, they're both so different-sounding, and I'm having a helluva time deciding between the two. I'm wondering, if both amps were the same price, which would you choose and why? Please reserve votes and comments for those who have actually played these amps.
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Feb 4, 2008,
hey, just out of cuiousity, what GC are you talking about? I have never seen either brands at the GCs here in Los Angeles.

Seems like all they sell is LIne 6 and ****ty Fender amps. and Marshall MGs
I'd go the Soldano.

It has this classic sounding heaviness that's just awesome
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
FRAMUS ftw
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Quote by richgray5
hey, just out of cuiousity, what GC are you talking about? I have never seen either brands at the GCs here in Los Angeles.
Guitar Center Hollywood on Sunset. They JUST recently got a Framus Cobra in. They've had either a Soldano SLO or an Avenger, at one time or another, on demo for the past several months. They also have VHTs and Diezels.
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Soldano...the thing is built like a tank, and sounds AMAZING. Framus build quality is, ehhh so so. Framus is way overpriced for what they are
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
I've not played a Framus Cobra, but haven't heard a bad word about them. The sound clips I've heard, & YouTube videos (I know the sound quality suffers there) are pretty good, but if they were the same price, I'd go with the SLO all day, no question. I'll tell you one thing-it's very difficult to get a BAD sound from an SLO, unless you don't have your chops down-then it will punish you. I plug straight in to mine most of the time, & there's no reverb, echo, chorus, & wah to hide behind.
I got mine for $2400 US on ebay in mint condition (& purple tolex!). There's a Cobra on craigslist right now for $1200 US right near me (San Jose), so whether an SLO at $2400 is a better deal than a Cobra at $1200, well that's hard to say.
The SLO DOES come with a transferable lifetime warranty, too.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by TheShred201
Fireandflames, the VH4 is still a grand more than the SLO....a 30% or so increase is still quite a large jump.

Ahh, well that's true.
I'd rather have the SLO, no contest. It's one of the best amps I've ever played.

The Framus is nice sounding, but the electronics inside it are crap and the rest of the build quality isn't worth its high price tag.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by TheShred201
What are you planning on playing on them. For those two, that's the determining factor imo.
All genres of metal. Don't need cleans.

Quote by FireandFlames
If you're willing to do a Soldano SLO, you could probably go a bit higher with a Diezel VH4...
Tried that also, and I didn't like the Diezel at all, compared with the Cobra and the SLO.

To all:

Thanks for all your comments. I think your opinions are all very valuable. To me, the Framus just seemed much more versatile than the Soldano. To me, at least, the Cobra's cleans sounded brilliant, with plenty of headroom (even though I won't be using cleans that much). At least to my still-novice ears, the Soldano seemed to be a one-trick pony. A very, very NICE, one-trick pony, but one-trick nonetheless. That signature Framus "sizzle" and the "whoomp" of the Cobra really got me hooked. Can't get that sound out of my head. But that smooth-sounding, dark-rich, Soldano tone is quite haunting and similarly unforgettable, but in a different way.

Quote by TheShred201
Imo, The cobra is better for metal rythm stuff, but the SLO wins for leads. As Matrixclaw said, the quality of the SLO is much Higher.
EXACTLY my feelings as well! Of course, my thinking is that I wouldn't be ENTIRELY happy unless I had BOTH! Both of those are expensive-ass amps, so I have to choose one or the other. Could you imagine, having BOTH a Cobra AND a SLO, bi-amping your guitar out of two separate cabinets? How motherf*cking cool would THAT be?

ya, I mean a lifetime warranty, can't really go bad, and resell value will be much higher
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
I don't think I could have the SLO as my only amp. As incredibly awesome as it sounds, the lack of versatility would leave me feeling hamstrung.

We've discussed the pros and cons of the Cobra before, so I won't get into that.

Definitely not going down the FJA route?

Quote by fireandflames
If you're willing to do a Soldano SLO, you could probably go a bit higher with a Diezel VH4...

Completely different amp.
Quote by Nolly
I don't think I could have the SLO as my only amp. As incredibly awesome as it sounds, the lack of versatility would leave me feeling hamstrung.

+1
That's another reason I bought a Mojave! So now I have 2 ponies that do 2 TRICKS. Still need several more ponies. Gotta have the old SRV tone, too.
Gives me a reason to get up in the morning & go to work!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

I'm also in favor of the Soldano.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by Nolly

We've discussed the pros and cons of the Cobra before, so I won't get into that.

Definitely not going down the FJA route?.
Thanks for your advice, Nolly. No, I haven't ruled out the FJA mods at all for my 6505. I'm just not sure what to tell Jerry to mod. I've already discussed this with him via e-mail. He doesn't want to hear, "Make my amp sound like a [insert favorite boutique amp here]." So, I'm not quite sure what to say to him (plus, I have to decide what I want in the first place).

I'm sure, with the right tweak, Jerry could turn the 6505 into a very Soldano-ish amp. But I'm not so sure he could make a 6505 sound more Cobra-ish. I have to say, I'm a bit surprised at the popular response in favor of the Soldano over the Cobra in this thread. I was throroughly impressed with the Cobra upon first playing it, and I was kinda leaning toward the Cobra myself. As I said, I'm still having a tough time trying to decide.

Quote by LEVEL4
Thanks for your advice, Nolly. No, I haven't ruled out the FJA mods at all for my 6505. I'm just not sure what to tell Jerry to mod. I've already discussed this with him via e-mail. He doesn't want to hear, "Make my amp sound like a [insert favorite boutique amp here]." So, I'm not quite sure what to say to him (plus, I have to decide what I want in the first place).

I'm sure, with the right tweak, Jerry could turn the 6505 into a very Soldano-ish amp. But I'm not so sure he could make a 6505 sound more Cobra-ish. I have to say, I'm a bit surprised at the popular response in favor of the Soldano over the Cobra in this thread. I was throroughly impressed with the Cobra upon first playing it, and I was kinda leaning toward the Cobra myself. As I said, I'm still having a tough time trying to decide.

If it helps, the modded 5150 I heard had the bias/clarity mod and the custom transformer. Certainly had a Soldano-y edge to it, but mainly just sounded like the best 5150 you'll ever hear.

I stand by my original statement as far as whether to go for the SLO or Cobra - Cobra if it's your only amp, SLO if it's joining another amps with decent clean and crunch. Even then, if you're gigging, you're not going to want to have to lug two amps around when you could get away with having just one.
If money is really no object, you can certainly get something even nicer-though you won't find any at GC. Fuchs Frost-100, etc. Just a thought. Of the two you mentioned the SLO would be my pick, it's a little more refined, a livelier sound if that makes sense. The cobra seems to be especially dynamics-challenged.
I'd go with the Soldano. Like that guy said before...they've got a solid build and are one hell of an amp.
Quote by tarlkea
When I say offensive I mean offensive like dressing up as superman in a wheel chair offensive, not penis suit offensive.
i haven't tried either, but i should point out that in europe the framus goes for half (if not slightly less than half) what the soldano goes for. Of course a lot of that is that we're gipped on the soldano price (they're looking something daft like $5k here), but worth bearing in mind.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Roc8995
If money is really no object, you can certainly get something even nicer-though you won't find any at GC. Fuchs Frost-100, etc. Just a thought. Of the two you mentioned the SLO would be my pick, it's a little more refined, a livelier sound if that makes sense. The cobra seems to be especially dynamics-challenged.

LEVEL4-This is really a great suggestion. Fuchs amps sound unbelievable, although I've not heard the model Colin mentioned. The ODS 100 screams. Before you spend $3500 on an amp, it would be worth it to check a few more out, including the Cornford RK 100 like I checked out at NAMM. THAT is one rocking amp, too.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard

yeah, at that kind of money you have a lot of options. never tried a fuchs (hear good things), but cornfords are pretty sweet. not just as metal as some of the others though, if you're after metal. (the ones i've tried anyway) have more of a jazz fusion/shred/organic woody hard rock tone than br00talz.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah, at that kind of money you have a lot of options. never tried a fuchs (hear good things), but cornfords are pretty sweet. not just as metal as some of the others though, if you're after metal. (the ones i've tried anyway) have more of a jazz fusion/shred/organic woody hard rock tone than br00talz.

The Frost is double-stuffed brootalz. Cornfords though, I'd agree. It would need a booster.
^

(it's possible the cornford heads sound more modern, though... i've only tried the hellcat and hurricane combos)
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I just read, in another thread, that the 5150 is basically a Soldano SLO rip-off, made to EVHs specs with lots of cost cutting involved, so it'd make sense if the SLO sounded similar to your 5150 (although i'm not sure on the truth in that).
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by TheShred201
Riffhog, did you check out Cameron amps at namm? I've heard some great clips....but yes, as others have said--there are many other amps to look at.

No, sorry. Never heard of them. I may have walked right by them & not paid attention.

Dave & Colin: I'm really not sure how br00talz the new RK100 Cornford would have gotten if I could have turned it way up. It seemed to have a ridiculous amount of gain on tap (I'd guess as much as an SLO or Recto easily, but I didn't really get to open it up !). It just kept getting better. My friends were amazed by that RK100, too, & they're used to hearing very expensive amps. I'm waiting to hear back from Cornford regarding USA dealers for their amps so I can retest one.

Mr. Carrot: IMO, the SLO is just a much more responsive, dynamic version of the 5150/6505. To me, they do seem similarly voiced & sound similar at lower volumes, but the Peaveys lose clarity & definition by comparison when cranked. It's like the 6505 sounds good, but the SLO sounds great. The response is just SO crisp & fast.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard

^

www.cornfordamps.com (i think there's a dealer list on there, it won't let me copy and paste it, but if you scroll past the UK dealers, you'll get to the US ones)
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^

www.cornfordamps.com (i think there's a dealer list on there, it won't let me copy and paste it, but if you scroll past the UK dealers, you'll get to the US ones)

Thanks, Dave! How's this for irony?
There's no dealer close to me (400 miles is closest), but there's one in Las Vegas, & I'm going there w/ the wife for Valentine's Day next week. What do think my chances for survival are if I try to ditch her for a while to check out a $3500 amp?

Edit: If you guys don't see any posts from me after Valentine's Day, you'll know I was stoopid enough to try.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard

Last edited by riffhog at Feb 7, 2008,

glad i could help...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Nolly
If it helps, the modded 5150 I heard had the bias/clarity mod and the custom transformer. Certainly had a Soldano-y edge to it, but mainly just sounded like the best 5150 you'll ever hear.

I stand by my original statement as far as whether to go for the SLO or Cobra - Cobra if it's your only amp, SLO if it's joining another amps with decent clean and crunch. Even then, if you're gigging, you're not going to want to have to lug two amps around when you could get away with having just one.
Thanks again for your comments, Nolly. That actually really helps answer my real question . . . which of the two amps sound most DIFFERENT from my 6505? I guess that's the reason I'm leaning toward the Cobra. By the way, I don't gig—this is primarily for cabinet recording . . . and of course, FUN!

Quote by MrCarrot
I just read, in another thread, that the 5150 is basically a Soldano SLO rip-off, made to EVHs specs with lots of cost cutting involved, so it'd make sense if the SLO sounded similar to your 5150 (although i'm not sure on the truth in that).
I read that post too. If that's true, then, an FJA-modded 6505 should sound pretty good, and my initial comparisons seem correct. Just can't get that Cobra sound outta my head.

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Feb 7, 2008,
Quote by LEVEL4
Thanks again for your comments, Nolly. That actually really helps answer my real question . . . which of the two amps sound most DIFFERENT from my 6505? I guess that's the reason I'm leaning toward the Cobra. By the way, I don't gig—this is primarily for cabinet recording . . . and of course, FUN!

I read that post too. If that's true, then, an FJA-modded 6505 should sound pretty good, and my initial comparisons seem correct. Just can't get that Cobra sound outta my head.

http://cgi.ebay.com/FRAMUS-COBRA-HIGH-GAIN-HEAD-tsl-dual-vh4-slo_W0QQitemZ150212982553QQihZ005QQcategoryZ10171QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
BID NOW!!!!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard

Page 1 of 2