I played one through a Blues Junior at a store, and it seemed incredibly versitile, save for metal and the like. However, is a MIM worth a pup change? If so, what pups to get YJM's tone? Think of a budget between 700-800 bucks CDN.
Yes the MIMs are great. Just get a Dimarzio HS-3, and a Dimarzio YJM.

He used to just cut the middle pickup because he never used it... But now i think he puts a Dimarzio HS-3 in the bridge and neck and a YJM in the middle. I don't like him that much, i just like his pickups so i don't really keep up with him anymore haha.

but there used to be an old video on youtube with him talking about his gear.
I can't find it now but if you look you might can find it.
Woohoo.
I have an MIM, and did a pup change. I love my MIM, but ive heard they can sometimes be hit or miss- sometimes they are sweet but sometimes they suck. just be really careful looking over the guitar. check for messed up hardware and crappy frets.
check the seymour duncan website for some good replacement single-coil sized humbuckers for that YJM tone, even though he uses dimarzios.
Quote by Iplayblues
Yes the MIMs are great. Just get a Dimarzio HS-3, and a Dimarzio YJM.

He used to just cut the middle pickup because he never used it... But now i think he puts a Dimarzio HS-3 in the bridge and neck and a YJM in the middle. I don't like him that much, i just like his pickups so i don't really keep up with him anymore haha.

but there used to be an old video on youtube with him talking about his gear.
I can't find it now but if you look you might can find it.

He still has the YJM in the neck. Methinks he has an HS-2 in the middle.

A MIM with a pickup swap would be pretty rockin'.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
So is there any difference between the MIM's and MIA's besides pups/electronics? I'm talkin' body wood, tuners, etc?

The MIAs are made of less pieces of wood. Some people claim it matters. Beats me. The MIA aren't slathered in a half inch of poly paint though and their necks get rolled edges. They also have two point trems.
MIM have less quality hardware. My tuners are starting to get all messed up (its been 5 years though) and the bridge isn't as nice as the MIA. But they arent bad either...
What's a good bridge to get put on? I'd put Schaller locking tuners on it, but I'm not sure as to the bridge. Could I get more springs added to make sure it stays in tune more frequently?
my strat stays in tune perfectly with the stock tuners. then again, i don't have the tremolo bar attached, but it still holds the tuning very, very well. you might not need anything at all besides the dimarzios.
Fender Delux Locking Tuners..... easy pop on fit to factory holes and only cost about $60.00
Fender American Stainless Bridge..... but you gotta make sure you find one that is a match to your bridge bolts in the back. You'll need the bridge with 2-point bolts at the base of the body.

as for pickups..... to each his own. I have a MIM and an MIA both with Lindy Fralin Vintage Hots. Both guitars sound practically identical once I did the swap work on the MIM. MIA is just a little "sweeter" but truth be told the Neck on my MIM is 1-1,000,000. Plays easier than the MIA.....more vintage style frets and also 14 years worth of breaking in it's just right.

You may also opt for having the pots and switches upgraded when you get the PUP's replaced. Tech should be able to do switches, pots, and insulated wiring all for around $30-$50 in top of the PUP charge.

As for tuning stability...... i don't use the trem on my Strat.... I got a Satriani Ibanez for that. So I have all 5 Bridge springs in place and coupled with the locking tuners....... proper stringing technique and streching.......... I would venture to say that my strat has been holding tune for close to 2 years now.

No joke..... without factoring in going from 90 degree to 60 degree type changes..... I rarely have to tune up.

Not to mention that the locking tuners makes stringing the thing a Breeze. Push, pull, tighten and your ready to stretch and tune to tone.
96 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop
95 Strat w/ Lindy Fralins
Ibanez JS1000
Orange AD30HTC
Vox AC30
Blue Alnico Cab
Budda Wah
Barber Tone Press
Keeley NOVA Wah
Pederson Strobo
Keeley TS-808
HBE Chorus
T-Rex Delay
Red Witch Moon Phase
i dont understand why a MIA is so much more expensive because its just about the same. it even has a bolt on neck
Quote by Xx Andy xX
i dont understand why a MIA is so much more expensive because its just about the same. it even has a bolt on neck

They're just made better. Better finishes, body woods, bridges, and construction.

That being said, I'd take a MIM anyday. You can go anywhere with one of those, other than metal land.

I think, with some trebbly overdrive, you could do Yah-wing-gee with the stock pups.
Quote by Xx Andy xX

The list is long, and only some will appreciate or benefit from those differences. If you can, an MIA is much better. If you're not at that point yet where you still can't tell the difference, then it doesn't matter since the MIM's are pretty decent on their own.
- Fender, Taylor, Martin, Ibanez, Ramirez, Marshall, Boss, Morley, Mesa/Boogie, Univox, Shure, Monster, Dunlop, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Lace, Sperzel, DW, Tama, Zildjian, and a little Johnnie Walker
Check into also maybe picking up a MIM from back in the early-mid 90's. (1994-1997) They actually used top-notch woods and really back then the only major difference was the electronics and hardware.

Still great wood and the finish was definately not up to par with MIA..... but really there's only a couple of finishes where you can tell a difference.

And anyway.... if you put the hours and years on the guitar anyway it's going to get banged up and it's going to fade/wear.

I would personally never go back to an MIM or knock-off of any type but that's me. Still not a bad guitar for the $$.
96 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop
95 Strat w/ Lindy Fralins
Ibanez JS1000
Orange AD30HTC
Vox AC30
Blue Alnico Cab
Budda Wah
Barber Tone Press
Keeley NOVA Wah
Pederson Strobo
Keeley TS-808
HBE Chorus