I know this has probably been asked a million times, but heres 1 million and 1. Ive been playing guitar for about two years now on a crappy squier strat. while i really love that guitar i think its time for a new one. however i have absolutely no idea what to get. ive played almost every guitar under 1000 dollars (my budget). I need to get a guitar that is really versatile. Anywhere from Zeppelin, to Iron Maiden, Van Halen, or Red Hot Chili Peppers. THe one thing that i do know is that i want humbuckers. im also unsure of the locking bridges ie floyd rose and such because i hear that they are a pain to tune down, which is a must. any and all help is appreciated!
http://www.hagstromguitars.com/superswede.html

Try her. Basically a Les Paul with coil taps and a very thin and fast neck. Unless you wanted a trem arm of some sort, in which case I do have some others in mind.....lemme just find them...
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
^+1238078934 just simply add a Kahler Hybrid locking trem system, and just use the tuners to tune the guitar and tighten the nut when you plan to play it. =D
I got some good guitars, yo.
Quote by Wulver
http://www.hagstromguitars.com/superswede.html

Try her. Basically a Les Paul with coil taps and a very thin and fast neck. Unless you wanted a trem arm of some sort, in which case I do have some others in mind.....lemme just find them...

where can i find one of those? Would guitar center carry em? also, would those really be able to play metal that well because i play a lot of that.
This doesn't perfectly fit your styles (even though it's very versatile and I play those bands with mine), but the Ibanez S series have great floating trems. Easy to use and stay in tune forever. You can down- tune one string and the others will stay in tune. That is if you want a trem-bridge. I got an S-prestige, they are simply great.

Otherwise what ^^^ said sounds great good, even though i've never played them.
“If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?”
- Scott Adams

No they don't, and UG is proof...
I would advise against a locking trem if you change tunings often. That will just become more trouble than it's worth. For your budget and needs, I think a Fender HSS Strat is in order, such as this one. One of the most versatile guitars ever made, and you are already used to the strat.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Quote by 51VH50
where can i find one of those? Would guitar center carry em? also, would those really be able to play metal that well because i play a lot of that.

I've yet to see them in my GC, but that's not to say yours won't have them. Also, many of the online dealers like MusiciansFriend and, yeah, GuitarCenter carry them. You also see B-Stocks on eBay rather often.

And, yeah, I would think they're capable of playing metal. You could always change pickups if it didn't work for you.

Also consider these, maybe: http://www.hagstromguitars.com/ultraluxseries.html

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
I'm sorry- but that guitar (the hagstrom) is a ridiculous choice for the music you mentioned- I strongly urge you NOT to get it. It is a great guitar, but it is not what you want- For what you are looking for, a superstrat type guitar seems to fit best- The following guitars are right in your price range, and most are very versatile.

-Jackson- Dinkys, soloists, etc- Highly reccomended

-Ibanez- most of what they make is highly versatile

-fender fat strats (a strat with at least one humbucker)

-Esp LTd'- I'd only do these if you really wanted a metal axe.
epiphone les paul custom, or maybe the gibson les paul faded special or sg faded special.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
To WasteofSpace: I actually realized that same point, which is why I provided a second link. Which, believe it or not, are Hagstrom Super-Strats. Apparently new models.

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
No offense taken. He should still keep your suggestions in mind, though, since I haven't seen any of those super-strats in the online stores and such yet.

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay