I've been playing the same strings for about a year now and my Ibanez GSR200. I can see the wear on them and the change in color. I figured out the style that i like to play but i still havnt figured out what strings i need or what gauge. Any advice?
What style?
GEAR:
Musicman Sterling
Epiphone Flying V Bass
BC Rich Platinum Warlock Bass
Fender BG-31 MTB Acoustic/Electric Bass
Warwick Blue Cab 60 60W 1x12 Bass Combo Amp
Read the FAQ.
Quote by Yerjam
Could be, but the most important thing to remember is that it wasn't your fault, even if it was.
I guess Ill chime in an Ernie Ball. Hell cant we just say personal preference and be done with it? Its just gonna be said here in a little anyway.
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
Personal preference hehe! But on a serious note, I play ernie ball's and love them. They work grat for almost anything. Rotosounds are amazing aswell!
Quote by killbox2490
HOLY S**T! There is a switch hahahahahha. Thanks Red Wing. Now you're probably going to quote me for being so retarded

CLAPTON IS GOD
Quote by smb
It's like you guys have one brain you toss around between you. Rotosounds are not good for every situation.

Thank you for a shred of sense! I would personally suggest from my own experiences either Ernie Balls, or Elites.

But I say you should try out a variety, and get some idea of what you want on your own.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
It really doesn't matter what sound he wants, rotosounds will do him fine in any situation.

Bahhhhh, bahhhhh

P.S. Buy Elites, they're much better

Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
ELIXER!!! *cough* *cough* .... elixers are for those of us that want a seriously clear bright sound that sounds a little bell like and piano-y but i seriously have never talked to somone that tryed elixers and hated them.
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Elrick, Curt Mangan, D'Addario are what I use for everything, from jazz to thrash to alternative.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
d'addarios'
EQUIPMENT:
Squire P-bass - d'addario EXL230
Fender rumble 15
Epiphone Thunder Bird Reverse IV - Ernie ball super slinky
Vibe V-40b
Jerzey Acoustic bass - d'addario EXL190
KORG AX10B Bass Modeling signal Processor
Russian Big Muff
D'addario's .50 - .105 Find them comfortable to play and can take a beating

oops, .050, hehe, though that would be interesting
Last edited by Danzter at Feb 5, 2008,
Quote by indie-bassist
Bahhhhh, bahhhhh

Bahhh, bahhh? What the hell are you talking about? I never talked about Rotosounds before I got a pair. I'm not a sheep because I tried a type of string that a lot of people like and liked it. That's like saying, "Oh, I like the jazz bass the best, but so many people have it, I'm going to buy a thunderbird instead."

As for Elites, they may be great, but no one in the U.S. or Canada, or anywhere outside of the UK can try them so toss off.
I love my Rotos, but I tend towards their lighter gauge for bass, which most Roto fans tend to shy from. So I guess I'm a sheep but a black sheep at that.
It's amazing the way the string badwagon goes.

When I first joined these forums, everyone loved GHS Boomers. Not too long ago, everyone loved DRs. Now it's Rotosounds.

Make up your damn minds.
A freight train to heaven. *points at sky* CAN I GET AN AMEN!

Anyway, who would ever like GHS Boomers? Unless they wanted roundwounds that would die really quickly. I think the reason everyone switched from DR is that all the DR lovers tried Rotosounds at a recommendation and will never go back.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
A freight train to heaven. *points at sky* CAN I GET AN AMEN!

Anyway, who would ever like GHS Boomers? Unless they wanted roundwounds that would die really quickly. I think the reason everyone switched from DR is that all the DR lovers tried Rotosounds at a recommendation and will never go back.

Amen.

I got Rotosound Steve Harris flats for my T-40, then I put DR Hi Beams on it, and I was pretty happy with the sound. I decided to get Swing 66's based on my experience with the flats, and judging by what people on here were saying.

I'm glad I did.
So far, D'Addario strings have done the best on every guitar I've put them on. I have .45-.105's on my Ibanez and I've ordered some Chromes and Half Rounds to try out on my Fretless. That's just my opinion. If it isn't too much to say it again, personal preference is going to be the biggest factor!
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer
I really like my DR's.....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I'd just put my opinions in on Warwick strings.

Very good life. A very even response (though they do add a touch of growl) and excellent life.

If you are in a string experimenting mood, I'd recommend you give them a shot (I'm a fan of the coateds myself, as they sound almost identical to regular steels, but after 2 months I have yet to notice a decrease in tone.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
why do people always confuse popularity with bandwagon jumping.

the fact is so many people prefer rotos because they are great sounding, great feeling, long lasting strings
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Just to clarify, I used EB hybrid and super slinkies for quite some time. I still think that if you are on a budget, they are great string for the price.

I tried GHS Boomers and I just didn't care for the tone and they seemed to go dead rather quickly.

DRs. I loved the set of Black Beauties I had for a while, but I don't think their quite worth the cash outlay. I hated the set of DR low riders, they felt odd to play and I took them off the bass after about a week.

I just like the Rotos best--tone wise, feel and they last longer than the EBs I was using.
ernie ball
w/o bass n drums, there wouldn't really be rock music.

Schecter is pronounced 'Shek-ter', right? I don't want to walk in and say, "Hey, can I try out that Sketcher?" and have the helper reply with "Wtf, we don't sell shoes!"
Quote by skater dan0
why do people always confuse popularity with bandwagon jumping.

My guess is the Thunderbird loving crowd/politically correct hippies have an "everyone hates it on this forum, therefore it's not that bad (they're just hive-minded)" attitude, and conversely a "everyone loves it on the forum, therefore it's not that good (they're just bandwagon jumpers)" attitude that rubs off on people even more than the popularity of an item (Fender basses, Rotosound strings, Carvin/Avatar, etc) does.

Every time someone recommends a popular item these people roll their eyes and say "See? They're doing it again. Tsk tsk tsk." while totally and completely skipping the validity of the item in question and solely focusing on the commentors, not the truth of their comments.

Uhh... yeah.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Feb 6, 2008,
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Bahhh, bahhh? What the hell are you talking about? I never talked about Rotosounds before I got a pair. I'm not a sheep because I tried a type of string that a lot of people like and liked it. That's like saying, "Oh, I like the jazz bass the best, but so many people have it, I'm going to buy a thunderbird instead."

As for Elites, they may be great, but no one in the U.S. or Canada, or anywhere outside of the UK can try them so toss off.

It would appear I touched a nerve.

I'm winding you up Balesy, I know you didn't just assume their greatness.

<3

Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Elixir. They'll last a year, and they're awesome.
"Acoustic Guitars are totally lame and not metal"- Nathan Explosion
I actually think Hartke strings are really good (unless you own a 5 string).

String gauges serve a few purposes. Heavier guage strings are more stable at lower tunings, so if you play drop D, a hybrid guage with a heavier bottom string is best, and a tuning like DGFA or CGFA would require an overall heavy guage.

Also, heavier strings, more metal, more sound, bigger, bassier tone. Lighter strings more biting tone.

One of the other reasons is feel. Some people may be smaller and less experienced, so light strings may assist in keeping the fingers from shredding up (case in point, Stevie Ray Vaughan famously played .13 gauge strings, and because he bent so much and played so hard he would wear his fingers out and gradually have to get lighter strings throughout the tour until eventually at some points I believe he was using .08s).