hey guys im binning on this Fender hot rod deville 212 amp online, and on the back plate as pictured below it says 180w. Does that mean watts??? i know that these amps are 100% 60 watt tube amp power, but it says 180.... im confused.

Co founder and fifth member of the "I watched The cptncacklefanny Soap Opera" club. pm Theplague925 or PapaSmurph to join.
Last edited by ozzy102691 at Feb 4, 2008,
That is how much power the amp needs to run.
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
You fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way
so when someone says there amp is like 50 watts, that has nothing really to do with what that number says?
Co founder and fifth member of the "I watched The cptncacklefanny Soap Opera" club. pm Theplague925 or PapaSmurph to join.
Quote by ozzy102691
so when someone says there amp is like 50 watts, that has nothing really to do with what that number says?

That would be the output power. This is the input power
yea, what the hell this is so complicated. ok so let me get this straight. this amp is 60 watts, but it needs 180 to run... right??
Watts = Volts * amperes

60 watts is how much power is outputted to the speakers. No amp is 100% efficient and in this case the amp requires 180w to run (in this case I think somewhere around 30% of the energy is wasted).
Quote by TastyMooglePie
Rape everyone involved: the girlfriend, the mom, the dad, and throw in the dog for good measure.

Quote by Prankster1990
NoFX_Fan182 is awesome mkay. He just rocks my socks
Quote by ozzy102691
yea, what the hell this is so complicated. ok so let me get this straight. this amp is 60 watts, but it needs 180 to run... right??

Yah. A lot of it just gets dissipated as heat I think.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
phew alright, thanks i think i finally understand it. thanks alot guys.
Quote by ozzy102691

True.

EDIT:
Quote by ozzy102691
phew alright, thanks i think i finally understand it. thanks alot guys.

Anytime