Hey,
A tube in my Crate Palomino went bad today and im looking to replace them all. It is Class A Cathoid Bias which i belive means i do not have to bias it, and it uses 3 12AX7's and 2 EL84's. My question is, is can i put any brand of tube in for the 12AX7's and the EL84's such as JJ or Mullard? Or do i have to stick with the brand it came with(Groove tubes).
Thanks.
Schecter Blackjack
Mesa F-30
Line 6 Verbzilla
Bad Monkey
FAB Chorus
u can use any brand as long as they are the same tube type
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
Any brand you like.

BTW the cathode bias only applies to preamp tubes. The power tubes either have to be pre-biased or you have to bias the thing yourself.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
You can, and should, go with a different brand. JJs are nice.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
Quote by Kevin Saale
BTW the cathode bias only applies to preamp tubes. The power tubes either have to be pre-biased or you have to bias the thing yourself.

The power tubes can be cathode bias too, many amps are including the Palomino
Wow, how does that work? I guess that's pretty cool, though I'd rather be able to adjust it myself.
Quote by Whole Lotta Led
http://aikenamps.com/WhatIsBiasing.htm 3rd paragraph under Biasing Methods explains it.

He explains it a little better than I would

Thanks, that makes sense. I'd still rather be able to adjust it myself as I feel it makes a difference in the tone and feel of the amp.