Hello,
What would you all recommend for a very high quality distortion pedal for under 250$? I am not looking for multi-effects board. I am looking for a Paul Gilbert, Vai, Satch, Becker tone. What pedals would you all recommend that would help me achieve some/all of these tones. BTW: running it through a solid state...I know i know.
That 250 could go to the purchase of an amp that can nail those tones without any pedals. If it's a spider, an mg, or a frontman you definitely want to get a new amp.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Kevin Saale is the first member I have ever recognized as seeing a posting from before.
Quote by Kurt-Corgan
In gr.8 we got into purple nurples so much that the school would suspend anyone they saw doing it. We had really good aim.
Quote by anodetodrivebys
Kevin Saale is the first member I have ever recognized as seeing a posting from before.

Huh?
Quote by GuitarEvan07
Hello,
What would you all recommend for a very high quality distortion pedal for under 250$? I am not looking for multi-effects board. I am looking for a Paul Gilbert, Vai, Satch, Becker tone. What pedals would you all recommend that would help me achieve some/all of these tones. BTW: running it through a solid state...I know i know.

Either get a new amp with the money or get a used Damage Control Demonizer. Should do everything you need.
No,I have a decent solid state. Not one of the ones you listed. I'm not a noob, just take my word for it. I know quite a bit about tones and such, just not a lot about who uses what pedals. Just recommend me a pedal based on the knowledge of me having a killer Solid state amp.
I recommend you save the 250, the sell your prestige...THEN buy a carvin v3
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
What is this said killer SS? Honestly the only SS I've played I would label as killer is the Roland JC120 and thats for cleans. I have never heard a GOOD SS distortion.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by soul_power
What is this said killer SS? Honestly the only SS I've played I would label as killer is the Roland JC120 and thats for cleans. I have never heard a GOOD SS distortion.

That is why he is getting a pedal.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Damage-Control-Demonizer-Tube-Distortion-Preamp-Pedal?sku=154700

^Used one of those orrrrr

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/AMT-Electronics-TPL-Tube-Platinum-Valve-Distortion-Guitar-Effects-Pedal?sku=156619

Never played them but have heard clips of the demonizer and it was very good.
Last edited by acdcrocks0323 at Feb 4, 2008,
All those guys use some sort of an OD in front of a tube amp to achieve their tone, I'm not really sure what to suggest for an SS amp. I guest maybe try out some OD likes a tubescreamer and it's clones, maybe something more along the lines of a straight up distortion like a DS-1 or something. Just try as many pedals as you can with the same amp and guitar you use.
Well, the old Randall RG100s and the original RH100s have a pretty killer distortion and they are SS. You could get a George Lynch tone, but not Satch, Vai; etc
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Why are people not answering the question? If he wanted a damn amp he would have asked about it.

I dont know what I would do with that much cash, but I know Vai uses a modded Boss DS1, but both Analogman and Keeley claim he used one of theirs. I think you can get a new modded one from either for like $120US, but if you look DS1's go for like $25US and I think the modding service is like $60-$90 depending on what exacty you want done. If you know how to use a soldering iron and do a little googling you can do it yourself for <$30 I think even with good quality parts. Being a car guy, I like to **** with things and just so I have something to do, I am going to mod/experiment the nuts off my DS1 and when I finish that I will get an SD1 and play with that too. Just a thought though...
Chain:
Fingers -> Schecter Damien FR -> Fulltone OCD -> ABY Box -> Bugera V22 / Peavey 6505+
i got a tech 21 sansamp gt-2 pedal for sale, pm me for details and stuff.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Quote by soul_power

Ahhh, you've never tried putting something simple like a DS-1 into a JC.

TS, Damage Control. My vote.
I'm pretty sure satch uses a DS1, and they're pretty cheap. check on that website that i've forgotten the name of to see what the others use. the one with the picture of everyone's rigs...
Member of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

Last.fm
Quote by flambe chicken
I'm pretty sure satch uses a DS1, and they're pretty cheap. check on that website that i've forgotten the name of to see what the others use. the one with the picture of everyone's rigs...

I'm pretty sure he has a sig Vox distortion he uses now, but he did most of "Surfing With The Alien" with a cheap Rockman multi-effects box.