Graduation is coming up, and my parents said they would get me a new amp. I have been looking at the new AC30s, at about $1000 they seem to be a pretty good deal. What do you guys think about this amp? Last time I checked, they didn't have any in stock at my local guitar center so I couldn't try it out myself. However, I do like the 60s brit sound so I don't think that will be a problem.

There was a thread on here that was about the Peavey Classic 30/50 that basically had nothing but good things to say about them. Which do you like better, the AC30 or the peavey?

One last thing, I will be moving away to college and living in a relatively small apartment with a roommate, so noise is a problem. Is it even worth it to invest in a nice tube amp if I will have to play it at such low volumes? Oh and I play classic rock, blues, and some higher gain stuff.
My Gear:
MIM Fender Strat HSS

My Influences:
1) David Gilmour
2) SRV
3) Jimmy Page
4) Jimmi Hendrix
5) Slash
I'm just going to comment on the dorm situation. It's still worth it to get a great amp, especially if you plan on having a band with people. I brought up a 5w amp thinking noise would be an issue, but within weeks i brought up my peavey because I needed the power for my new band. If your room mate is cool, you can usually play guitar pretty loud in the middle of the day til the late afternoon without too much hassle from others in the building. Assuming your Spider is a 15 or 30w, bring both to college, and use teh spider when volume is an issue, and the ac30 whenever else you can.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
If your parents buy you a $1000 amp then I think it's great.

Do you ever play in a band or at shows, or is this going to stay in the dorm room as a practice amp?

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
You may even think that the ac30 sounds better at lower volumes than an ss anyways. You could always get an attenuator. I got a 50w miniMASS on the way ATM
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
yea thats what I was thinking, that its worth it to get the amp anyways. Thanks for the reply. ANyone else?
My Gear:
MIM Fender Strat HSS

My Influences:
1) David Gilmour
2) SRV
3) Jimmy Page
4) Jimmi Hendrix
5) Slash
Quote by jthm_guitarist
If your parents buy you a $1000 amp then I think it's great.

Do you ever play in a band or at shows, or is this going to stay in the dorm room as a practice amp?

I don't play in a band but me and my friend jam together all the time. he plays guitar as well. I hope to get a little band thing going pretty soon though
My Gear:
MIM Fender Strat HSS

My Influences:
1) David Gilmour
2) SRV
3) Jimmy Page
4) Jimmi Hendrix
5) Slash
i was dead set on the ac30cc1 a while ago, but now that i have the dough, im gonna get a blackhear (5w) amp, just cuz the ac30 is ****ing loud!

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Ac30 is great. It can do basement/bedroom volumes. It still goes for only $849.00 (Head) here in Atlanta..... and at that price point it's easily the best Tone amp you can get for the money.

If you're thinking Combo..... I would think about looking for $500 extra to get the combo with Blue Alnico's ($1499) versus the regular speakers for $999.

There isa HUGE gain in tone between the 2 amps. Those Vox's and Blue Alnico's were made for each other.

But the $999 version is still a good amp.
96 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop
95 Strat w/ Lindy Fralins
Ibanez JS1000
Orange AD30HTC
Vox AC30
Blue Alnico Cab
Budda Wah
Barber Tone Press
Keeley NOVA Wah
Pederson Strobo
Keeley TS-808
HBE Chorus
T-Rex Delay
Red Witch Moon Phase
^with the cc1, you save money though, cuz there is (weber, tone tubby afaik) 30w alnico blue replacements

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
I love the Vox AC30!

I think its main drawback is that it is big and heavy. It is also really loud!

If your living quarters are small, or you intend to drag it around to jams and gigs, you may want to consider a smaller el84 amp. I went with the Mesa Express 5:25 as an AC30 alternative, except with more gain on tap and far greater portability. I'm sure others could suggest more alternatives.
The AC30 I played sounded positively amazing. I'd love to get one when I get enough money and I get out of the house for college.

But yeah, it looked really heavy, and I'm sure it gets really loud. So if it's for just practicing in your dorm room, then you might want to look at something smaller. But if you plan on doing some gigging, I think it'd be a great idea.
Quote by bigreno
There was a thread on here that was about the Peavey Classic 30/50 that basically had nothing but good things to say about them. Which do you like better, the AC30 or the peavey?

I used to own a Classic 50 then I upgraded to an AC30 and I haven't looked back. The classic series is great for the price (esp. used) but the AC30 kills it as far as clean and crunch go. The advantage of the classic series is that you can get more gain at lower volumes.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
look at the ac15 maybe?
or and orange tiny terror + a small cab