Hello, In School this semester i am taking I.A. and i thought it would be a good opportunity to build a guitar,only a body b/c theres a wood limit. Also the school were going to for I.A. has limited wood. So i was wondering if anybody could tell me which woods to use and which ones to stay away from!!
stay away from agathis, any kind of presswood or something you've never heard of.

Generally look for mahogany, alder, basswood Theres more but they are less common.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
the best would be- mahogany, alder, basswood, ash, poplar - etc but walnut or maple will work too.
Since you're going to be building it, and possibly thinking up weird and wacky shapes maybe?

go for a softer wood, i.e. basswood, since mahogany is quite a dense wood, and will be harder to get to the shape that you want.
Fender Highway 1 Strat
Agile Septor Pro 725

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Axe-Fx Ultra

Trust me, I'm a medical student
For an amateur attempt at a guitar body definitely go for basswood. If you somehow get that down then try something made out of mahogany.
Actually, first ask yourself what you want as far as tone? What kind of music do you play? We can rattle off wood types all day, but each wood will provide you with a different type tone. Plus different woods will weigh more. Mohogany for instance provides a warm deep tone, but is dense and weighs almost double what the same body in ash would.
Washburn N4
Gibson Les Paul Standard 60's neck
Warmoth Strat w/ SD and fender PU's
Carvin VL212
ADA MP1
Boss GT-10
Quote by wadeschmidt
maple is a common on. lots of lp's are made of flamed or birdseye maple

It is very rare though to build a whole guitar of maple, due to it being hard to work with and very heavy. TS, I would go with Bsswood. Its a fairly neutral wood tonally, and easy to work with, plus its cheap.
Yea, generally the birdseye and flame maple are just the guitar tops.
Washburn N4
Gibson Les Paul Standard 60's neck
Warmoth Strat w/ SD and fender PU's
Carvin VL212
ADA MP1
Boss GT-10