So as of tomorrow, a couple of guys and I are going to try to throw together some hardcore material and see what we can come up with. The guy on guitar, Michael Laman, has been playing hardcore riffs since the day he picked up a guitar (only about 3 years ago.) So he can throw out hxc riffs like nothing. This guy from a nearby town, Scott (Unknown Last Name), is going to bring his set and be the drums. He is amazing, and we know he has what it takes already. My brother, Justin Hyatt, is going to do vox. (As well as Michael(Clean Vox), Scott(screams), and myself(screams).) And then myself, on bass.

Well, everything is perfect. We can all play our instruments very well and our vocals are going to be amazing because Scott, Justin, and myself all have a different style of scream so there is going to be a nice variety.

But. Only problem...I don't know how to play bass in a hxc style. I have always practiced on funk and stuff that I am really big on. I am not big on hxc, I just think it will be fun to play...chaotic...But I don't know how.

If anyone plays hardcore, please hook me up with a little advice?

I absolutely refuse to play bland...
444466662222555 crap like that.
Ha.

But yeah...

I'm totally in the dark.

I looked at some bass riffs for Norma Jean and the Chariot...
but they aren't really helping...

Eek!
try thursday. i really like the bass in for the workforce drowning. also, circle takes the square doesnt have a lot of tabs, but their bassist plays more than just root notes.
Hardcore music is pretty fun to play. Make sure you're constantly hitting notes, but avoid basslines lines 00000000111111113333333 etc... What I recommend doing is changing octaves often, do a lot of hammer-ons and pull-offs, sliding, and don't be afraid to use slap bass, although it's rarely in hardcore music. Basically, use all your techniques you've accumulated over the years and see what works and what doesn't.
i would follow the guitar and throw in fills. stay in minor scales or maybe some chromatics. i think norma jean does alot with chromatics if thats the stuff those guys are into. and of course, you're probably going to want to tune down.
I'm in Drop C. Thats what we decided to use because thats what the guitar likes.

I prefer Standard because I like the sharper sound and I dont like my
strings to be loose and flap around. =/

But were in C.

Alright cool. I will see what I can come up with.

One more thing.

When following the guitar do you guys think I should
follow it on the fret board or just in pattern?
no hxc bands play in standard really. ctts does. i cant think of any other though.

i would follow it on the fretboard where you can, and when you're trying to do something a little different, play wherever is most convenient.

if you really want a decent song with some ok bass, thursday's for the workforce drowning really is a good place to start.
Quote by cutslikedrugsx
no hxc bands play in standard really. ctts does. i cant think of any other though.

i would follow it on the fretboard where you can, and when you're trying to do something a little different, play wherever is most convenient.

if you really want a decent song with some ok bass, thursday's for the workforce drowning really is a good place to start.

Almost all "old school" hardcore bands played in standard... Black Flag, Cro-Mags, Minor Threat....

Anyways, for "modern" hardcore, it's probably safe to generally stay w/ the guitar, but then add fills here and there. The music doesn't really call for real flashy bass playing.
Quote by Charlatan_001
Almost all "old school" hardcore bands played in standard... Black Flag, Cro-Mags, Minor Threat....

Anyways, for "modern" hardcore, it's probably safe to generally stay w/ the guitar, but then add fills here and there. The music doesn't really call for real flashy bass playing.

dude, did you even notice my sig?

hxc hardcore is not hardcore punk. two entirely separate things. i cant even consider it 'modern', because the old stuff was about being hardcore into punk, not necessarily hard music, and hardcore punk is still very much alive.

'as your voice fades' by emery has some fun bass. its pretty simple but it does its own thing once and awhile and stands out.

screamo is worth checking out. its what got me interested in taking up bass.
saetia and off minor have some awesome bass lines. and hot cross is pretty good too. maybe some neil perry and welcome the plague year. love lost but not forgotten for a grindier sound. its pretty different from the type of music your bandmates want to play, but the principles behind it should still be applicable.

russian circles too. kind of instrumental hardcore that makes up for lack of vocals by being ****ing sweet.
listen to malyeen they are probably the best i hear not reallyd they are hardcore but they are not sterotypical. the main thing is to try and get noticed and not be so stereotypical. you want evryone to be copying you.
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Quote by cutslikedrugsx

hxc hardcore is not hardcore punk. two entirely separate things. i cant even consider it 'modern', because the old stuff was about being hardcore into punk, not necessarily hard music, and hardcore punk is still very much alive.

'as your voice fades' by emery has some fun bass. its pretty simple but it does its own thing once and awhile and stands out.

screamo is worth checking out. its what got me interested in taking up bass.
saetia and off minor have some awesome bass lines. and hot cross is pretty good too. maybe some neil perry and welcome the plague year. love lost but not forgotten for a grindier sound. its pretty different from the type of music your bandmates want to play, but the principles behind it should still be applicable.

russian circles too. kind of instrumental hardcore that makes up for lack of vocals by being ****ing sweet.

Therecore arecore toocore manycore typescore ofcore hardcore subgenrescore.
Quote by warwaker
Should I follow the guitar?

Try making small variations on the guitar riff just to keep it interesting..
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
try looking at some between the buried and me bass tabs, and maybe some as blood runs black.(gay band but i think the bass is alot more exciting then generic bass.) i think they might give u some ideas.
Follow the kick drum as if your life depended on it, don't be afraid to play stuff that's dissonant (EG chromatics, augmented fourths* etc), it fits in with the usual modern Norma Jean hXc stuff.

*Here's an example of an augmented fourth doublestop

G------
D--5---
A--4---
E------

Also, make sure you go bloody crazy on stage, it just won't look right otherwise.
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
Quote by warwaker
I looked at some bass riffs for Norma Jean and the Chariot...
but they aren't really helping...

Eek!

Thats 'cause you need to go to the source son. Botch and all their followers are where its at.

Most Hardcore bands drop tune, So an ideal bass player should use that droning low note as a pedal tone (ie. let it ring out alot!)

Minor and Diminished scales are your friend, Especially ones that are in tune with your pedal tone. Say you tune to Drop C (seems standard enough for hardcore bands), play in C minor.

sometimes, you can use inversions to make wierd stacked intervals for nice dissonant sounds.

This post probably means nothing to you if you don't know theory....

EDIT: Ah yes, Welshy beat me to it. That b5th is awesome for making dissonance.
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Quote by cutslikedrugsx

No I didn't notice your sig. Shame.

Also, I never said hardcore punk was dead. When I say "old school," not only do I refer to the original bands in the scene, but newer bands that play in their style.

Anyways, "hxc" means "hardcore." Bands like the ones I've mentioned were considered "hardcore punk," yes, but "hardcore" (or hxc as you kids like to call it) is just a shortened "hardcore punk." Hardcore was "hard music" at the time. That being said, how are they "entirely separate" things? Bands like Bane and Comeback Kid may not play in the same style as Norma Jean or Botch, but they are all spawned from the same scene. The newer bands just take the aggression a bit further.
All hardcore is basically the same... You have the melodic hardcore which is more the roots of metalcore, and then grindcore/breakdown based hardcore.

A standard line of notes for melodic hardcore is (on the lowest string, whatever your tuning): --0---8---5---7---
Alot of songs are based on those root notes with guitars doing most of the "technical" riffs and the bass following more as a deeper sound to compliment the guitars.

Grindcore Breakdown based hardcore.... it sucks. its all the same. It is essentially a long, repetitive riff using so much syncopation that it loses its musical quality, and horrible sounding "filler" notes on guitar. The bass will usually play all the root notes in synch with the guitar(s), and then pauses when the guitars play some really high pitched 2 note chord, which consists of a note and a semitone above/below it, then reverts back to synching with the guitars.
Quote by Charlatan_001
No I didn't notice your sig. Shame.

Also, I never said hardcore punk was dead. When I say "old school," not only do I refer to the original bands in the scene, but newer bands that play in their style.

Anyways, "hxc" means "hardcore." Bands like the ones I've mentioned were considered "hardcore punk," yes, but "hardcore" (or hxc as you kids like to call it) is just a shortened "hardcore punk." Hardcore was "hard music" at the time. That being said, how are they "entirely separate" things? Bands like Bane and Comeback Kid may not play in the same style as Norma Jean or Botch, but they are all spawned from the same scene. The newer bands just take the aggression a bit further.

I remember back in the day when Bullet for My Valentine were branded hardcore or something like that. But now, I don't know what they are. All this sub-subgenre changing business makes me dizzy.

So what are some hardcore bands?
signature
Last edited by Bullet-Rule at Feb 7, 2008,
I may have missed where you did, but...can you give me an example of a hardcore band that's inspiring this band? Hardcore is the most vague term imaginable so I really don't know what to tell you. I'd need to have a rough idea of the sound you're going for before I can help.
Quote by Bullet-Rule

Aren't bands like Black Flag and Bad Brains for-real hardcore? And everything else is derivativecore?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Since when do people do that? Make you sound like you know nothing at all about bass...and you probably don't.

Learn scales in all keys and you can play any kind of music.
Its true.

Also, use the growliest tone you have for hardcore.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Quote by Bullet-Rule
I remember back in the day when Bullet for My Valentine were branded hardcore or something like that. But now, I don't know what they are. All this sub-subgenre changing business makes me dizzy.

Bullet For My Valentine are a metalcore band. A really bad, generic one at that.

Yes, there are "good" metalcore bands - Killswitch Engage is probably the most original out of the bunch. Hell, they're one of the first bands I've heard to mix up the singing and screaming.

Like I've stated before, there are different types of hardcore.

"Old school" is stuff like Black Flag, Bad Brains, Cro-Mags, and their contemporaries: Bane, Comeback Kid, Gorilla Biscuits etc. These are more of an offshoot of punk music, and usually don't have any screaming or "chug chug" breakdowns.

"Tough Guy" is Agnostic Front, Hatebreed, Madball most notably. I can't explain the sound, but if you listen to those bands, you can tell the diff b/w them and "Old School."

Then there's stuff like Norma Jean, Botch, Shai Hulud, etc. Bands in this style are almost like "modern" hardcore, but they actually scream, and are much heavier. They seem to take a lot of heaviness from metal influences, but aren't metalcore.

Metalcore is the bastard child of metal and hardcore, where there's a lot of At The Gates style riffage, chug chug breakdowns, and sing/scream vocals.

Quote by thefitz
Aren't bands like Black Flag and Bad Brains for-real hardcore? And everything else is derivativecore?

That's how I'd see it.