i tried reading the tube sticky and it didnt really help. i have no idea what im looking at when it comes to tubes. i have a peavey heritage vtx 120w amp because i got it at a steal. it doesnt do so well with my playing style (hard rock, metal) its very very muddy. would new tubes help this or should i consider just getting a new amp? i love the head in it, the different settings and features are awesome, i just wish it would sound a little sharper and cleaner. if it is better to get a new amp, what would u guys suggest? im not looking to spend over $300-$400, i def want all tube, and i dont care about onboard effects. thanks.
anyone?
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
If you got it used its likely it needs a retube. Some players don't like the Peavey speakers. Black Widows, Blue Marvels, etc.
Generally a speaker change will make a more noticeable difference than a tube change. Going from 6L6GC's to KT66's will help with the muddiness, but to be perfectly honest you will probably want to start shopping for a different amp.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
May want to try and EQ in the effects loop before dropping a lot of cash, it can work wonders. Danelectro Fish n Chips is the cheapest and works just as well as more expensive units, just don't stomp on it real hard. Use some short patches and tape it to the top of the amp.
Its an open-backed combo, right? If it is they tend to have a looser bass response. Might want to experiment with temporarily closing the back.
^Actually, the Behringer EQ700 is cheaper. It's probably worth the money to get the Fish n Chips instead, since it's so cheap.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
im gonna be honest, i was never positive what the effects loop does and how it works. i was thinking maybe an eq pedal at the end of my line? and if speakers make a bigger difference than tubes maybe ill look into that as well.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC