i remember i saw an ad a long time ago for
active pickups that don't need batteries. does
anybody know what they are, and if they are
any good?
Quote by Jackintehbox
Pedophilia all the way man. Go for it.

Quote by deathbat831
hahaha i thought you wrote Philidelphia all the way, i was like yeah philidelphias cool i spose

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
I'm always too embarrassed to buy condoms. Saran wrap is cheaper, anyway.
That doesn't make any sense... Active pickup with no batteries lol? Probably was talking about a passive pickup that sounds more like an active pickup. I think Dimarzio was advertising something like that with their D-Activator pickup. That would be my best guess.
they may be the dimarzio d-activators, they are not active but they do have the gain of an active pickup
Quote by Post?Organic
That doesn't make any sense... Active pickup with no batteries lol? Probably was talking about a passive pickup that sounds more like an active pickup. I think Dimarzio was advertising something like that with their D-Activator pickup. That would be my best guess.

ya, that's exactly it. are they any good?
Quote by Jackintehbox
Pedophilia all the way man. Go for it.

Quote by deathbat831
hahaha i thought you wrote Philidelphia all the way, i was like yeah philidelphias cool i spose

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
I'm always too embarrassed to buy condoms. Saran wrap is cheaper, anyway.
"Active" implies that the pickups have moving bits, namely a battery. I'm afraid I don't know.

Edit: but someone has already answered...
Quote by clay pots
ya, that's exactly it. are they any good?

Never played a guitar with them installed so I can't really give a good opinion. I've seen fairly good reviews and Dimarzio generally produces high quality pickups so I can't imagine them being horrible. You'd have to try a guitar with similar specs to yours and see if you like them though, because it's all subjective.
i know that ad

it has a hot chick in a tight nurse costume with huge pliers cutting off the batteries to a guitar pickup
The dudes from DRagonforce use em... doesn't really mean much, though...
TRANSFIXUS SED NON MORTUUS
There are a couple of guitars with passive pick-ups and then with a pre-amp in it. Basically if you have the pre-amp on, they are supposed to function like active pick-ups, but if the battery dies you can turn it off and they still work completely fine like any passive pick-up would.

I haven't had a chance to try one yet, but it was a neat idea if it works fairly well.
I've got a D-activator in my Bich. I can't really coment on if they sound like an active like they adervtise. but they can handle alot of gain. Really can't give the best review but if you like alot of gain and i mean alot of gain they do quite nicely. need to get some for my other two guitars....
the gear:
Jackson RR3 Trans red
LTD EX-260 White with black bevel
Ibanez RG3ex1 quilt red
Agile Ghost Pro 727 White
Krank Rev Jr.and cab
Blackheart 5W head
DigitechRP500
Quote by Matheau
There are a couple of guitars with passive pick-ups and then with a pre-amp in it. Basically if you have the pre-amp on, they are supposed to function like active pick-ups, but if the battery dies you can turn it off and they still work completely fine like any passive pick-up would.

I haven't had a chance to try one yet, but it was a neat idea if it works fairly well.

Charvel did that a fair amount back in the 80's on all Model 4 and 6 guitars, along with a few others. It was also a fairly common option on custom shop Jacksons too. They had an active midboost circuit. Good on paper, but once the battery ran dead or the preamp died (which is common) it sounded like crap due to the fact the pickups had to have lower output and a fairly flat EQ range for it to work well. Kind of like how the old MG series had EMG HZs paired with a Jackson Turbocharger (renamed EMG Afterburner); same deal.