Poll: could/would you take someone's music?
Poll Options
View poll results: could/would you take someone's music?
yes, if it meant making my dreams come true
16 19%
no, i couldn't respect myself as a musician if i did
53 62%
if it's a crappy pop song that isn't GOOD, but would make me famous, then fine.
1 1%
if it's a good song, and i would be helping to get it heard, then i'm doing a good thing, right?
16 19%
Voters: 86.
if you had the opportunity to take some random person's (who isn't famous or in the process of becoming famous) song that they composed and use it as your own to become famous and make millions of dollars, KNOWING you would never get caught, and they would never find out, do you think you would/could do it? you're GUARANTEED to become rich. plus, maybe your own music would make some money too, who knows.
That's pretty low mister. If I had a rubber hose, I'd beat you with it.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Yes I would.
Breedlove Studio D25/SM Acoustic
Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/ EMGs
B-52 AT-212 Tube Amp
MXR 10 Band EQ
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Quote by snipelfritz

hey, i didn't say i would, i'm just curious.

although i must admit i'd do it.
I think I'd cave. I mean.. if no one liked any of my other music then I wouldn't... but as far as using it to break in... I'd cave.
I would do it but give the actual writer of the song credit and a portion of the profit

Could you put that option up the please?
Quote by Bartleby
i tune to drop-Z and string my guitar with barbed wire.

Quote by UncleCthulhu
we r all rlaeted bcuz teh bibel sez so we r al innbreads lolo

Prime Minister of Puppets of The Australia FTW Club

One of The 9 Winners of the Official 5th MOD Contest
Oh god, you found out didn't you?!? CLOSE THE THREAD! NO ONE MUST KNOW!!

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
well is it a good song?
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
If I hadn't developed my songwriting skills far enough to write the song myself I would just be cheating myself.

Plus I'd have to REALLY, REALLY love the song.
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
although i must admit i'd do it.

And this whole scenario has been done before, just ask Kanye West.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by snipelfritz

And this whole scenario has been done before, just ask Kanye West.

Read up on the difference between sampling and plagiarism before you act like a punk.
I'd have to say to straight up steal his work, no. But if I could still get famous for playing it, and giving the guy a writer's credit, and it was a song I could see myself writing/is similar to the music I write, then yes.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Yeah sure. It's pretty foolish not to if it's like this : "KNOWING you would never get caught, and they would never find out, do you think you would/could do it? you're GUARANTEED to become rich."

Why wouldn't you?
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
I couldn't base a career in doing what I love on illegitimate practice and terrible lies because that is just deplorable in my eyes.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
Wait... Why don't I just give the guy writing credits so he collects royalties?
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
alright, since so many people are trying to take the coward's way out and ask if you can just send the guy royalties, the situation is now going to be as follows:

you know if the person knew about you using their song to become famous, they'd be really pissed. they obviously don't want you to become famous with their song, or you could have just asked them if you could use it to promote yourself to superstardom.
Paying Royalties is not the coward's way out. It's what one traditionally does to not get sued when they use someone else's material. Does not wanting to be sued make one a coward?
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
i'm calling it the coward's way out because it gives people a way to say they'd use someone else's song to become famous and make money, but still convince themselves they're not doing anything wrong.
Of course I wouldn't. It's not like I ever have problems with songwriting anyway, so it's not going to happen.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
No I would not.

If I really wanted to I'd just cover it, but I'd never try to pass it off as my own.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
I would.... Man to make millions I would do almost anything.

Im sick of being poor and stuggling to make ends meet.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
No, because I don't really want to be rich or famous, and I'd wouldn't feel right about playing someone else's song.

I was in this band for a while where I replaced their lead guitarist but had to play all his songs, which the crowd loved, but I started to get pissed off that they liked HIS music, and we weren't playing any new material (so I hadn't written anything yet). They had a bit of a following, so they didn't even want me to play new solos. I left pretty soon because of it. I imagine it would be way worse if I was in a hugely famous band.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
you know if the person knew about you using their song to become famous, they'd be really pissed. they obviously don't want you to become famous with their song, or you could have just asked them if you could use it to promote yourself to superstardom.

Well, if you do use the song and become famous, then they will know, because, uuuh, you just got famous with their song. So if you asked if you could cover it and they said no, then you could rip it off instead. I don't really see how this changes anything.
Maybe...hypothetically. If I did it would be Dream Theater's Stream of Consciousness.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.