ok so im new to the whole music theory thing... ive been playing guitar for about 3 years and im in a band, i want to make some solos but heres the problem. how the hell do i make them fit? i know very little about music theory, im starting lessons soon. so please try and explain it to me as you would a down syndrome child
just put your attitude into the solo, throw some licks together, stick in the key relatively, its not really about theory so much, but that helps
dont take any guff from these bastards man

Quote by Fenderhippie69
I only smoke when I've been drinking and I only drink when I've been smoking.
The best way to start off is to learn the 'rules'.

Learn what chord progs are in what key. And play in that key.
Try starting with general minor pentatonics. They're what have been rubbed into our minds since before rock started. Pentatonic solo's.

The Gear I Use Most:
Gibson guitars, Les Paul, ES-335, SG and more.
Dunlop Crybaby | Dunlop Volume | Boss TU-2 | Ibanez TS-9 | Maxon AD-999
Planet Waves Custom Leads
Marshall JCM900 (model: 4100 + 4101)

TooJoo The Band
Practice improvising on simple blues songs (IMO the easiest to solo over) using the pentatonics. Just stay in the right key.
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
ok well i honestly need help figureing out what key my song is in, i know the chords im soloing over are really basic, its F#5, A5, D5, and E5 in that order reapeating, if that helps, what key would that make it, and how could i tell (just for future refrence)
Quote by handlerb
Practice improvising on simple blues songs (IMO the easiest to solo over) using the pentatonics. Just stay in the right key.

They can also be very hard. You can wank all over blues and stuff , but putting feeling in and choosing the right notes to convey a musically message is the hard part if you don't know how.

The Gear I Use Most:

TooJoo The Band
Quote by dark_bard
ok well i honestly need help figureing out what key my song is in, i know the chords im soloing over are really basic, its F#5, A5, D5, and E5 in that order reapeating, if that helps, what key would that make it, and how could i tell (just for future refrence)

GO to all-guitar-chords.com for help. anytime you need, then you dnt have to ask.

The Gear I Use Most:

TooJoo The Band
alright thank you so much everyone. i need this solo for a show in three days so i was really in a bind, but i guess i came to the right place
Quote by dark_bard

F# minor.
I'd start by reading the Crusade articles on the front page
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by dark_bard
ok so im new to the whole music theory thing... ive been playing guitar for about 3 years and im in a band, i want to make some solos but heres the problem. how the hell do i make them fit? i know very little about music theory, im starting lessons soon. so please try and explain it to me as you would a down syndrome child

Figure out the key of the song and then choose the appropriate scale or use your ear.