I have been playing guitar for 3 years now, but I can't tap yet.
So I wondered how many of you guys who could tap.
Check my profile for seeing my avatar a little bit bigger... u won't regret... it is no waste of seconds... ten seconds of your life... 30 heart punches of 1 000 000 000.
That's the spirit!!
I think most can. It's one of the easiest techniques.

But it's easiest on a low action guitar with good pickups.
You need to remember its like when you hammer on, you dont do it so light the strings die and stuff..

The Gear I Use Most:
Gibson guitars, Les Paul, ES-335, SG and more.
Dunlop Crybaby | Dunlop Volume | Boss TU-2 | Ibanez TS-9 | Maxon AD-999
Planet Waves Custom Leads
Marshall JCM900 (model: 4100 + 4101)

TooJoo The Band
3 years and no tapping??? Sounds like you've got quite a bit of catching up to do!
Nicks and dents are battle scars...they give a guitar history.

Quote by Homer Simpson
When you think about it, mud is just wet dirt.
Quote by flesh fries
3 years and no tapping??? Sounds like you've got quite a bit of catching up to do!

Hah a yeah, i rememebr learning how to tap the first few months. i didnt know it wsa tapping i just thought it would be an interesting way to play guitar. That hepled when i learnt properly after seeing van halen (and others, but he's the most well known) do it.

The Gear I Use Most:
Gibson guitars, Les Paul, ES-335, SG and more.
Dunlop Crybaby | Dunlop Volume | Boss TU-2 | Ibanez TS-9 | Maxon AD-999
Planet Waves Custom Leads
Marshall JCM900 (model: 4100 + 4101)

TooJoo The Band
I really have! I refused to practise at all, the 1 1/2 years! But I'm really on the right way now, because I am playing like 24 hours per week.
Check my profile for seeing my avatar a little bit bigger... u won't regret... it is no waste of seconds... ten seconds of your life... 30 heart punches of 1 000 000 000.
That's the spirit!!
Don't learn its a waste. I taught my idiot friend how to and now whenever we go to Guitar Center, he picks up a guitar and taps the same 3 notes over and over again I want to shoot him.
I <3 Drugs.

The universe works on a math equation-
That never even ever really ends in the end-
Infinity spirals out creation.

Myspace
Tumblr
"Band"
Learning to tap is about the most anticlimactic experience ever. Once you know how to do it there's a huge "now what?" feeling. It always sounds the same no matter who's doing it, widdly widdly widdly widdly widdly........
Tapping is wicked if you move it around. Otherwise, listen to Ez0ph. It's like sweeping in that if you use it sparingly, it's totally awesome, but I see too many kids just doing the same thing over and over again on the high E string.

Low action, good pickups, and make sure that you hit the string nice and hard with your pick hand finger. You should be able to figure it out halfway in less than a half-hour.

Two handed tapping is a lot harder, and has a different feel to it musically. Still entirely possible, though. I suggest practicing it standing up, because it's a pain in the ass to do it sitting down IMO.
Quote by raise_the_dead
I wouldnt be surprised if the first thing Varg did was sign up for WoW so he could kick some Judeo-Christian ass.

Final Fantasy

Cid Highwind of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM me, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
I can tap pretty well, but I'm not someone that gets crazy as hell with it either. I got a buddy that does some crazy 2 handed multistring tap/bend stuff, it's impressive as hell to see, but really it's not something that I really implement in music or really practice at all anymore.
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
wow... i could tap after less than a year.... just practice... its not hard at all...

make sure you turn the distortion up and dont hit the strings below or above the one you're tapping. I sometimes mute them with my palm or wrist.
Quote by Ez0ph
Don't learn its a waste. I taught my idiot friend how to and now whenever we go to Guitar Center, he picks up a guitar and taps the same 3 notes over and over again I want to shoot him.

thats why you switch it up and make a really fast accending and descending lick... and use differant strings too.
Practice on the high E first.....Hammer-on with your index or middle then rake it downwards to sound the string.....Don't abuse it...
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
If you wanna try something to test your skills, you could try Thunderstruck by AC/DC, think it was recorded with picking, but it can be done with one handed tapping.
SG Commando #8, PM YOUNGBLOOD to join
Dunlop Original Cry Baby
Boss DS-1
Boss DD-6
Waiting On Vox VT15 or VT30
Tapping's really easy,you just gotta practice awhile.It's also very fun.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Its like playing Dust in the Wind, you just get in the motion and its hard NOT to do it.
Gear
Ibanez RGR521EX1
Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500R
Roland Cube
Spider II 30
-Crybaby GCB-95
-SansAmp GT2
-Boss DS-1, RC-2
Damn ive got alot of catching up to do too LOL. I cant tap yet, i always just played rhythm, (im pretty awesome at it though) im starting to learn lead guitar. Ive had a guitar for 5 years....i wish i had practiced more. I would be AWESOME.
Yeah, I've been able to tap for a while but at the moment I'm working on moving tapping ideas across the strings rather than just doing any given tapping figure on one string and tapping out of sweeps into something other than another arpeggio.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
you can tap
u just have to be patient
start slowly
then you will naturally speed up
start simple
I can't tap at all, but I'm not playing for very long and don't find it that useful :P it's cool if you can do it fast though :P
Quote by Prankster1990
I can't tap at all, but I'm not playing for very long and don't find it that useful :P it's cool if you can do it fast though :P

Tapping quickly is easy the difficult thing is making it interesting.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I can tap most of the arpeggios in Knights of Cydonia on bass so I'm not bad I guess.
Quote by Weybl Himself
Learning to tap is about the most anticlimactic experience ever. Once you know how to do it there's a huge "now what?" feeling. It always sounds the same no matter who's doing it, widdly widdly widdly widdly widdly........

unless you learn how to buckethead tap

But just practice tapping, once you get it down, its easy
Quote by The Daver
What does tapping mean??

You sound a note with only your finger....Like a hammer-on with no note beforehand and you can use your right hand to tap as well as your left hand...
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Rocking-Rob
unless you learn how to buckethead tap

But just practice tapping, once you get it down, its easy

8 finger tapping

Anyway, yeah I can tap, its not hard at all. All you do is take at least 2 fingers of one hand (fretting hand) and one finger of the other hand and you just push on the string and basically pull off the next note and so on and it repeats over and over again.
Guitars:
Epiphone SG
Schecter Damien FR
Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amps:
Epiphone Studio 10S Practice Amp
Peavey ValveKing 212

Effects:
Vox V847 (NOT V847A) Wah Pedal
DOD FX55-B Supra Distortion
Tapping is seen by many people as only being useful for neoclassical triplets.

But is SO versatile. Look up some Bumblefoot.
I think it is a middle skill of the guitar. You see a lot of talent players who are really slick technically, but musically they leave a lot to desired. If you have a skill it is hard not to overuse it. For every guy who can tap three end notes there are ten who do for three hours!
Stop showing off and play the music!