Alright here it is. I'm new to playing guitar, I've learned chords and what not. I have my rhythm down and I want to step up to an electric. I have no intentions on starting a band or anything, I produce and record music and I think if I learned how to master the guitar it would broaden my musical horizons.

I've been nosing around guitar shops looking for the right guitar but not sure what I'm looking for.

I was interested in the Epiphone Limited Edition G-400 Custom but I'm still not sure.
And I was thinking maybe a marshall amp?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thank you
MY MOM LIKES MY MUSIC! SO EAT IT!
well what kind of music do you play?
sex, drugs, and rock and roll have turned into aids, needles, and techno..
Well I have no specific genre. So I'll name some of the top artists.
Mattafix, Metallica, Zeppelin, Weezer, Kansas.

But I guess i play a variation of reggae metal..I have metal riffs but its chopped up like reggae..lol..not to specific but it may help.
Find one that feels good to you. And just get a little practice amp or modeling amp. No need to buy any kind of expensive gear if you're just learning. Hell man, my 1st guitar had a speaker built right into it, Hahaha. Was a piece of chit, but I learned a lot from that damn thing. A good axe to buy would probably be a Squier Strat or a cheap Ibanez maybe. But that's just my opinion.
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Some of my buddies told me to go cheap, like buying a squire or a no name guitar. But I'm also wanting it to mean something to me, cause I don't plan on buying another one.
I'm setting my budget limit at $800 for a guitar and amp. I'll go more if I have to.

I'm wanting the best quality I can get within my price range, sorry if I'm not making much since. But like I said I'm the studio guy, I'm guitar illiterate.
O.o have you played on acoustic? also check out used gear, You can get great stuff used "when really it's been touched like twice" due to people buying and never playing their gear.