I am wondering if it's likely to get ripped off on craiglist, especially in terms of stolen goods? I highly doubt I would get one that's not working, as I will be going over to seller's place...
i got pretty good bargains of stuff i bought and i sold stuff for really good prices too

line 6 half stack was listed for 550$ and i bought it for 355$
i sold my epiphone lp100 for 215$ and i bought it for 215$ lol (it was a floor model with a slight neck twist)
My Gear:

Jackson King V KVX10
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Line 6 Spider III HD75, Line 6 Spider III 4x12 Cabinet
Marshall MG30DFX
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Boss BF-3 Flanger
its likely to get ripped off no matter where you go. I sold a GNX3 on CL and it went well. Ive bought stuff and joined a band and once again it all went well. Now...if your like 12 or something and you wanna sell something, id recommend you do it thru your parents as in you tell them to post the ad and deal with the guy/girl who will buy it and so on. If your at least 16 or 17, then you shouldnt have much of a problem.
if you gettin speackers use a good ear, i almost got sold blown subs and pa's once. so always listen to the stuff first.
Fair enough. I think i will try for it... unless it just doesn't work, it's way better than music stores selling them second hand.
bought a marshall avt head and cab for 350$ on craigslist. sold in on craigslist a month later for 375. worst amp ever. at least i got 25 out of it.

got a peavey raptor strat copy for 50$. things plays and sounds better than my epi lp. its even ballsier somehow.

just got a drum kit for 325$. so far it works. its not amazing, but not total crap either.

its hard to really get ripped off. you go and look at what you want to buy before you decide. then you can haggle if you want.
CL can be iffy...

It's best to meet in a public spot with lots of people around like a parking lot at noon and bring a friend too. I've heard some bad stories with CL deals and all I can say is play it safe.
Quote by moody07747
CL can be iffy...

It's best to meet in a public spot with lots of people around like a parking lot at noon and bring a friend too. I've heard some bad stories with CL deals and all I can say is play it safe.

Yea, I usually make people meet me at a Zaxbys near my dorm, during daylight hours.

The trick to CL is DO YOUR RESEARCH. Google anything you plan on buying. See what other people paid for it used, see if they're still made, see what they're going for new.

I've found that you can make notable cash offa CL buy buying guitars, giving them proper setups, and selling them back for 15-100% profits. But that's just me.
Quote by Jestersage
I am wondering if it's likely to get ripped off on craiglist, especially in terms of stolen goods? I highly doubt I would get one that's not working, as I will be going over to seller's place...
I buy and sell on CL all the time. Just check it out when you go get it. No guarantees other than that. Hard to know if something is stolen.
Well go and check it out first of all. And only you will be able to tell whether its fine or not and whether your gonna be happy with it. Simple.
craigslist is really good for guitars and ****. i've used it for a while,but it does make me paranoid, usually the selling. i don't know if ppl will rip me off so i meet them in places like the guitar center and such.
I love Craig's List. I've bought, sold, and traded on CL with great results.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by moody07747
CL can be iffy...

Now i would bet your more likely to get ripped off in a public place.
Depends on what ya buy really i guess....but if it was say computer parts such as memory/harddrives ect....you have no way of telling if it works or not until you get home.
I always meet at their house or mine...that way i know where the F'er lives if he sold me junk. If they want to meet in a public place..i tell them to screw..plain and simple.
I'd prefer to sell stuff in a public place rather than have them over to my house, actually. But where can I go and just hook an amp up in public? The park or something?
i don't define myself by what silly groups i join.
Anyway, I saw craiglist habe two items I want:
Hotrod Deville 410 -$400
Powerblock + 4x10 cube - $250

I probably will go for the HotRod, since a new price is 749... but problem is I am worry it's one of those "too good to be true" deals.
Just try it out before you buy it that's the only way I do it unless it's something like a pedal or pickup I've even had some small things shipped to me before because they lived like 2 hours away. I've never had a problem and I've sold stuff for more than I bought it for when I got it too. I look at it every day in case theres some really good deals like once I got a boss equalizer with power supply for $30 that looked like new.
%50 of street price is always a good target for CL items. It's difficult to have a buyer looking for any item that you place on CL at the time the ad is placed. The target audience is local. So if you want to sell for what something is worth, then it will happen in one of 3 ways....

1) The price is super cheap and people who would like the item but don't need it will still buy it. For example a Boss GT-6 went up for $100. I called right after the ad went up but a hoard of people all wanted it.

2) You get lucky that someone is looking for the item when the ad is placed or perhaps it's a really popular item.

3) You keep placing the same ad week after week for what it's worth until the right buyer is looking.

Something in good or excellent shape is probably worth %70 - %90 of the discounted street price. But getting that on CL is not always easy. You need to keep placing the ad. Getting something for %50 of street price is a deal and it will probably sell pretty quick. However, older models of things like multiFX generally sell even below %50.
I like Cragislist if I know I can go over and try it myself. Like there was a guy with a JCM800 stack for $1000 about 15 miles away. I don't have $1000 so I didn't buy it, or try it, but still, it would've been nice.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Well, I think I may have found a good deal: YBA-1 Bassmaster (aka Canadian Bassman clone) for 300... and Traynor don't make them anymore. I will see if I can get it.

On a sidenote, what keywords should i punch in? Usually I type in fender, traynor, mesa (no marshall since all I see is valvestates or stacks) Anything else?
As long as you don't meet in shady places, I always try to meet in public places, around other people. I plan it well, and you can get some pretty good deals that way, and you can try it before you but it most of the time, Its pretty good I'd say.

Also good for meeting other people that play an instrument in your area.
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive