i own a windsor head and the trick to get a good tone out of it is to crank the ..it out of it...however, to do so i must keep the preamp volume low if i dont want to die...but in doing so i dont get enough overdrive as i would like...i heard about the box of rock and well the question is: would it solve my problem?...ive heard is a top quality OD which is what im looking for...also the boost thing was something i was also looking for, which would be nice to get two things i was looking for in one pedal...and just in case, i play hard rock stuff, gnr, vr, stp, alice in chains, etc...would the box get me enough OD for those genres?...thank you
"Prefiero morir parado que vivir siempre arrodillado" - Ernesto "El Che" Guevara de la Serna (1928 - 1967)
Here's something interesting for you:
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=174291

I wouldn't personally buy anything from zvex. He charges way more than his stuffs worth.

EDIT: I also dislike his marketing. No **** it'll sound like a Marshall if you only play it through a marshall
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Plus the pedal isn't very hard to build. I have a schematic and layout for it and will build it sooner or later. You could also check into the Fulltone OCD, which is an AWESOME overdrive.

I agree with xfir, he charges way too much for his stff. Fulltone can charge a lot too, but they are way better than Z Vex IMO. I also know Z Vex himself likes hate the pedal builders community (yes I know he posted the schem to the Super Hardon on a forum, but that was because he disliked the other schematics out there).
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
hmm thank you...i really liked the idea of the od and boost in one pedal...but oh well...i thought this was a top quality od if hes charging 200 bucks...yeah ive heard pretty good things about the fulltone OCD...ill check it out...and for the sake of having more options, anyone can think of other pedals that would help me?...thanks
"Prefiero morir parado que vivir siempre arrodillado" - Ernesto "El Che" Guevara de la Serna (1928 - 1967)
Tone is completely subjective. I've had nothing but good experiences with ZVex products, and prefer the BoR to most (but certainly not all) overdrive/distortion pedals available. Personally, I prefer the BoR to the OCD, but then again that's my opinion.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
haha well who should i listen to now...you said you prefer the BoR to most but not all OD's...what are the other OD's you prefer?
My personal favorite distortion is the ZVex Box of Metal. My favorite OD is called 'The Button' from Tube Depot.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
well then let the public opinion speak...do you prefer the box of rock (which comes with a booster that im also looking for) or the critically acclaimed fulltone OCD?....thank you
well..
i've tried the BoR, the OCD, little green wonder (by mad professor) and the liquid sunshine by SubDecay, when i went looking for my perfect OD..
tried them through a laney VC30 btw, and bottom line - the OCD won. despite being the cheapest.

it was just the most amp-like OD, the most responsive pedal out of them all, and had the widest array of usable settings .

it's not just hype.
Personally I'd take the ocd of the two. One of my friend had a box of rock. It was a good pedal, but I didn't really like it enough to spend that much on it. I have an ocd and it's worked great for me, but honestly it comes down to what sounds better to you. Both pedals are pretty good.
I will say the ocd seemed more responsive with the right settings. But you should really try them out if you can.
thanks....anyone else has any thought on my dilemma and the OD's options?
Quote by Otsugua713
hmm thank you...i really liked the idea of the od and boost in one pedal...but oh well...i thought this was a top quality od if hes charging 200 bucks...yeah ive heard pretty good things about the fulltone OCD...ill check it out...and for the sake of having more options, anyone can think of other pedals that would help me?...thanks

Check out the link I gave you. IMO the Marshall Jackhammer sounded the best (though I havn't tried one in person but I plan to next time I'm at the shop).
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
thank you...after hearing those soundclips i was disappointed with the box of rock, however, i cant seem to decide if i liked the jackhammer more than the OCD soundclips and vice-versa
the Jackhammer aint bad..
anyway, try them. clips dont mean anything
^ well yeah they are if you can't really play these boutique pedals side by side (which you would obviously need to considering how similar they sound).

Quote by Otsugua713
thank you...after hearing those soundclips i was disappointed with the box of rock, however, i cant seem to decide if i liked the jackhammer more than the OCD soundclips and vice-versa

Well if you can't decide then consider that the jackhammer is waaay cheaper.

Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
Quote by Nezek
the Jackhammer aint bad..
anyway, try them. clips dont mean anything

Can't go wrong with the classics
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
i was in the same position you are about 6 months ago
i don't play stuff quite as hard as that
but i ended up with the OCD
and i love it
i can't imagine playing any other od
i only keep the gain up halfway so it should deffinately handle what you want
thanks everyone...ill make sure to try the jackhmmer somehow...if i dont like it then ill go with the ocd
Quote by Otsugua713

But that was the Vexter series wasn't it...aren't they mass produced in Japan or something...so i assume they aren't as good as the regular ones
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
Quote by Bossman123
But that was the Vexter series wasn't it...aren't they mass produced in Japan or something...so i assume they aren't as good as the regular ones

Taiwan actually. and i don't think they're mass produced there, because he always talks about 'handwired' and stuff like that (so i assume they're being handwired by Taiwanese people). after that, they're shipped to America for final assembly. i don't think there's any quality difference, it's not handpainted, that's all.
Quote by The red Strat.
Taiwan actually. and i don't think they're mass produced there, because he always talks about 'handwired' and stuff like that (so i assume they're being handwired by Taiwanese people). after that, they're shipped to America for final assembly. i don't think there's any quality difference, it's not handpainted, that's all.

Ah rite, i just kind of assumed when i saw that it was made in Taiwan that they were a mass produced version.
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
"The manufacturing of all Z.Vex "Vexter" products (non-hand-painted) has been shifted to Taiwan. All critical components used in the Vexter products are identical to those used in US products (for example, the Switchcraft jacks, lockwashers and critical transistors are shipped to Taiwan for assembly because they are not available there).

Quality will remain exactly as before. All Vexter products are completely hand-made, hand silk-screened, hand-polished... everything is done by hand. Extensive prototyping and testing and attention to every little detail has been covered. Many of the parts used in the US product are of Taiwan origin already (as it has been since the beginning of Z.Vex Effects in 1995). The enclosures are custom-molded for me in Taiwan, the potentiometers (controls) are by Alpha of Taiwan, and the switches are from Taiwan. So are many other electronic components... in fact, very few electronic components are made in the US anymore, and the small ones used in my products are almost all made overseas.

All Z.Vex Effects will continue to undergo rigorous testing and inspection in the US before shipping to our dealers.

All hand-painted Z.Vex Effects continue to be manufactured by hand entirely in the US. "