Does anyone else think that he may be the best modern lyricist? Im not talking about his singing skills, although i like that too, but his writing skills. I am yet to find another band that writes lyrics that keeps me so interested during every song. I feel that his vocabulary is very extensive as well, which is not always seen in hardcore/metal/metalcore etc..
Current Gear

ESP Ltd EC 1000
Schecter C1 FR

Jackson Dinky
Crap Acoustic
Crate Excalibur GX2200H
4x12cab
I think he was either an English student at University or Lecturer? Or something similar, but I agree with you whether you dig ETID I not, he writes pretty incredible lyrics...
though Jordan Buckley once commented something like this "I laugh when I see people sing back lyrics that an alcoholic wrote 4 days before recording" which is pretty lol.
Gear Now:
Epiphone G400
JCM 900 4100
1960a cab
SD - 1

Next:
EQ Pedal

Go! Go! Bronco

You won't ever see me falling to my knees
I won't live for something I can't see
okaykiddo: I think he was either an English student at University or Lecturer? Or something similar, but I agree with you whether you dig ETID I not, he writes pretty incredible lyrics...
though Jordan Buckley once commented something like this "I laugh when I see people sing back lyrics that an alcoholic wrote 4 days before recording" which is pretty lol.

That is funny, and if true still pretty amazing. When Im drunk I dont think I even finish my sentances
Current Gear

ESP Ltd EC 1000
Schecter C1 FR

Jackson Dinky
Crap Acoustic
Crate Excalibur GX2200H
4x12cab
^^I was waiting for somebody to say that line, so predictable
Current Gear

ESP Ltd EC 1000
Schecter C1 FR

Jackson Dinky
Crap Acoustic
Crate Excalibur GX2200H
4x12cab
He really is a good lyricist, I really like the Shakespeare influence in the earlier cd's. Im pretty sure he does have a degree in English. The new cd is pretty killer too, We'rewolf and Pigs is Pigs have some really good lyrics.
He's alright. Seriously though if you think he may be the best you really need to listen to more hardcore.
Quote by xKurtx
He's alright. Seriously though if you think he may be the best you really need to listen to more hardcore.

That's what I was getting at. He's not terrible but definitely not the best.
Wes Eisold
Ibanez SZ720FM
Ibanez GSZ120
VOX AD50VT
BOSS DF-2 Super Distortion & Feedbacker
well i would group him in one of the best atleast.

xKurtx and WaldorphPRS41, What would be some bands you recommend that i listen to that have a better lyricist? Thanks.
Current Gear

ESP Ltd EC 1000
Schecter C1 FR

Jackson Dinky
Crap Acoustic
Crate Excalibur GX2200H
4x12cab
Quote by Lettherebeshred
well i would group him in one of the best atleast.

xKurtx and WaldorphPRS41, What would be some bands you recommend that i listen to that have a better lyricist? Thanks.

American Nightmare
Quote by mr.joopy987
American Nightmare

aka Give Up The Ghost

Wes Eisold is the singer, who I posted
Ibanez SZ720FM
Ibanez GSZ120
VOX AD50VT
BOSS DF-2 Super Distortion & Feedbacker
Here's a quick list of bands with amazing lyrics:

American Nightmare
Ruiner
Killing the Dream
Boysetsfire
This is Hell
Converge
Die Young
Four Walls Falling
Modern Life is War

IMO all of these bands have better lyrics than ETID. Everything up there is still in print and pretty easy to find if you want to give a band or two a try.
Converge for sure.
"We wanna have fun and we wanna get wasted." - Andrew W.K.

Quote by baltour;39385525
I think devildriver, lamb of god and killswitch are the best black metal probably ever.

Quote by andyq777
the clean vox weren't bad a lot

XBL: Tim The Hero
John Henry from Darkest Hour.

"...its not always what you think, knee-deep in the belly of the beast, offering us anouther cut-rate version of your dream come true..." - Full Imperial Collapse.
ETID is fantastic with puns. Guitarred and feathered....genius.

There are some good lines on Hot Damn as well.
"Drain the lake; you'll find it full of love."
Quote by HuckIt
My weirdest dream would have to be when I dreamed that I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...that was pretty screwed up.
Quote by xKurtx
Here's a quick list of bands with amazing lyrics:

American Nightmare
Ruiner
Killing the Dream
Boysetsfire
This is Hell
Converge
Die Young
Four Walls Falling
Modern Life is War

IMO all of these bands have better lyrics than ETID. Everything up there is still in print and pretty easy to find if you want to give a band or two a try.

I don't think Keith Buckley is the best, but I am going to have to respectfully disagree with most of those but American Nightmare and 108 and Modern Life, just because I get really sick of the banal, vague angry lyrics that just are not convincing.
Quote by LedZeppelin
ETID is fantastic with puns. Guitarred and feathered....genius.

There are some good lines on Hot Damn as well.
"Drain the lake; you'll find it full of love."

I think its "drag the lake, you'll find it full of love"

But none-the-less a great song
Current Gear

ESP Ltd EC 1000
Schecter C1 FR

Jackson Dinky
Crap Acoustic
Crate Excalibur GX2200H
4x12cab
Yeah you're right, I was going to type that but it didn't make sense to me. But I guess it does.
Quote by HuckIt
My weirdest dream would have to be when I dreamed that I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...that was pretty screwed up.
How ****ing funny are some ETID interviews, funniest bunch of dudes ever.

Edit:

"that rat has got it's mother's eyes. breeding ad nauseam, they are pouring themselves into the sea. stop. thief. leave your drunken accident at the prom. it'll grow to mend your broken heart."
Last edited by Paracetamol at Feb 8, 2008,
he does have an english degree. he used to be an english teacher before they're recent success. anywho.... brilliant band. brilliant lyrics. i love them
he is defintely a good lyricist, i dont know anyone into hardcore who would dispute that. a bit different. maybe not the best, but always interesting.
Quote by Keith Buckley

As an English major whose almost inhuman skills in pedantry and sesquipedalianism far exceed the vast majority of knuckle-dragging mouth breathers, I must take the liberty to correct you on an oft made error of lexicon when referring to Ferret as a "niche" label. I believe the term you were looking for was "poop-chomping retards". With that being said, yes, we are very happy with them and are proud to be a part of their family.

Quote by www.dictionary.com
–adjective Also, ses·quip·e·dal /sɛsˈkwɪpɪdl/
1. given to using long words.
2. (of a word) containing many syllables.
–noun
3. a sesquipedalian word.

As a fan of Every Time I Die and a college student who eventually wants to do a Masters in English Literature at University, Keith Buckley is now officially my hero.
keith buckley hands down is a genius with words. i think the music jordan, mike, and andy create help make keith's lyrics and vocals mean even more.

p.s. converge sweetness.
Yeah... I don't know.

It almost seems like a pride issue with Every Time I Die, sometimes. They have had such commercial success and collaborated with like... My Chemical Romance and stuff. And people who are into them are into stupid **** too and they go on tour with Underoath... and people don't really perceive a band doing that as hardcore enough to be into, so I don't think they'll ever really get the credit they deserve from the majority of the community.

On that note, they are probably one of my favorite more commerical "hardcore" (or whatever) bands around. First of all (and probably most important of all), they're fun as hell, and that's what the kids really care about. They write catchy stuff and that hooks all kinds of people... mainly uneducated kids who see them open for their favorite [_____]core band. However, a lot of those kids will look past the fact that they really are a smart bunch of guys. Keith Buckley knows word play whether or not you want to admit it... and while not everything he writes is always going to be top notch ("Hey there girls, I'm a ****!") he writes some pretty interesting stuff. He uses just about every kind of literary device there is, his vocabulary is unbelievably vast, and his imagery and symbolism will have you by the balls. He is trained to write, and he does it so well that he has been trained to train others to write. Like it or not, that's fact.

Yes I realize there are "truer" more underground hardcore lyricists out there who are doing a phenomenal job. But there's no denying Keith Buckley of Every Time I Die is also doing a phenomenal job, and arguably a better job.
I play guitar
Quote by xKurtx
Haha I wish we were!

Seriously though.
I like ETID, but underground or otherwise there are just way better lyricists out there.

Well of course there are always going to be better lyricists. That's not really the argument. But I get what you mean and I don't really see where you're pulling that from.
I play guitar