And rather than doing work for it, here I am in The Pit.

Balls.

While I'm here, might as well ask - does anybody have any good tips for dealing with nerves? Or anybody got any funny stories about giving talks or anything?

I just want an excuse to procrastinate a bit longer.
Pay your friend Jack Daniels a visit before you give the presentation.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
It's better to feel nervous rather than too over-confident for a start. I wouldn't last 5 minutes.
Quote by ctb
It's better to feel nervous rather than too over-confident for a start. I wouldn't last 5 minutes.

Bull****, when I'm nervous I stutter and say the wrong words. When I get cocky and overconfident I nail it. It's just all the mood I'm in that day.
D:
Signature.
I have to give presentations all the time, and once you get up there, it can be pretty nerve-racking but once you're up there, just make the most of it. You're not going to die up there no matter what happens. If you know the material and are confident, you will be fine
Thanks guys - I was planning on having a quick drink beforehand, but had forgotten so cheers for the reminder.

It's for one of my degree modules, and I'm the very first one to do it... ugh. But they take into account when they mark you on how long (or short) you've had to prepare the presentation so they'll be more lenient when marking mine than people who have another 2 months or whatever to prepare theirs...
don't drink mate! what's the matter with you? presentations are a piece of piss. just have a laugh, and, if you don't do it sober, how will you have the confidence to do anything?!
I used to hate presentations, nay - fear them, even in my first two years of uni. But it all comes down to practice, I'm not so bad at them now.
...Bleep Bloop...
Quote by _deeperthewound
Thanks guys - I was planning on having a quick drink beforehand, but had forgotten so cheers for the reminder.

It's for one of my degree modules, and I'm the very first one to do it... ugh. But they take into account when they mark you on how long (or short) you've had to prepare the presentation so they'll be more lenient when marking mine than people who have another 2 months or whatever to prepare theirs...

Looking at your degree course, just thank God you didn't have to give a 30 minute presentation on Nazi Eugenics and the ethics surrounding it, with a biomedical overciew of what eugenics involves

You want to give the best presentation you can. If you only had a couple of weeks whilst others have a few months, I'd ask for more time. Presentations are a great way to build up your own knowledge, and it's unfair that you have to go without those few extra weeks.

Oooh, Glasgow? How is the uni? I have family up in Paisley and Renfrew and plan on doing my PhD up there if it's a good uni. The research proposals look good.
Don't think he actually studies at Glasgow, it's a pretty decent uni though, getting quite well known for its research now. I think the Times ranked it as 82nd best English speaking uni in the world, or something similar.
...Bleep Bloop...
Quote by GHJ
Don't think he actually studies at Glasgow, it's a pretty decent uni though, getting quite well known for its research now. I think the Times ranked it as 82nd best English speaking uni in the world, or something similar.

Oh yeah... silly me for not reading properly Same happened this morning with a room change, whiohc didn't actually involve changing rooms.
If your a good lier it will be fine, just pretend that you know what you talk about, thats how I passed exam
Haha, yeah I've tried to involve myself accidentally in something like a 4th year biomedical lecture before.
...Bleep Bloop...
Quote by Deliriumbassist
It's not quite the same when you do presentations at uni. You HAVE to know what you're talking about.

It's better than not to say anything yeh I know my english sucks, so what?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
And where exactly was your mastery of the English language brought into questioning?

I just said it so u guys will understand why i'm write so much wrong it wasen't meant to be a part of thie thread, sry
Haha, cheers guys.

I'm at Huddersfield Uni, but Glasgow University is great, apparently...

I know a lot about the topic I've chosen (Country Music & Politics with specific reference to the Dixie Chicks... how metal am I?), it's just a matter of filling the 20 minutes and not making a complete fool of myself... I haven't done any sort of presentation-type thing since I was involved in a class debate in 3rd year English (5 years ago...) so I'm a bit out of practice.

I can't ask for more time, because they have to stick to this strict timetable, or whatever. We have this presentation, then an essay-type write-up on the topic which is to be handed in a few months' time. So depending when you do your presentation, you'll have more or less time to do the write-up. I think partly why my tutor chose me to go first is because (and I'm not trying to be big-headed) he seemed really pleased with my project proposal. So hopefully that's a good sign.

I don't plan on getting pissed, just maybe one drink to loosen me up a bit. I'm not great with things like this! But cheers for all the replies (and the remarkable lack of spam/flame! )
Huddersfield? You get Picard himself as your chancellor I'm so jealous My mum's uni has Prof. Robert Winston. Mine has some old Duke guy who owns half of Knightsbridge. Fun. Hell, even Liverpool John Moore's has Brian bloody May.

Anyways, is this a strict 20 minutes? If so, try 40 seconds on a slide or so (exclusing titles, obviously). The trick is to go more in depth than what you have on the slides. AND USE POWERPOINT'S ANIMATIONS TO GOOD USE.
Good luck with it mate, get a few of your friends to act as an audience and run through it with them first. 20 minutes can be filled more easily than you might think, still cant say I envy you though... That said, I have a presentation due for Thursday, its just gonna be easier than yours

Edit: My freshers address was given by Richard Wilson (Victor Meldrew), I believe he was an ex rector or principle or something at Glasgow, not sure - I don't really involve myself in the politics of the uni. Our rector now is Mordechai Vanunu, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mordechai_Vanunu .
...Bleep Bloop...
Last edited by GHJ at Feb 5, 2008,
Yeah, we've got Picard/Prof. X/coolest mofo to ever hail from Yorkshire. He'd better be at our graduation... He wasn't able to show at last year's.

I don't think I'll be marked down for being a couple of minutes below or over the 20. I should be alright for content, once I pull my finger out and actually sort out what I'll be saying! I'm gonna show clips from two music videos and a DVD as well - that'll take about 5 minutes in total I think.

Cheers, GHJ. Good luck with yours.
^We had Biffy Clyro, Goldie lookin' chain and Colin Murray did a DJ set, and a few more acts that I've forgotten.
...Bleep Bloop...
^Very jealous of Biffy. One of my favourite bands!

Our Freshers Week had no bands. Seriously. Well, none that I was aware of... Dirty Pretty Things played a secret gig at a club a few weeks later, but I dun like them so...

This year, the Freshers got The Hoosiers, but I didn't go cos they so ripped off ELO in that Goodbye Mr. A song, and every time I hear it I can't stop myself ranting about the injustice.

Oh, they also got a Westwood DJ set, and whatsherface from Atomic Kitten who's a failed Eurovision applicant and plays loads of gay clubs... Liz McLarnon?

P.S. Daz Samson ftw!
Do your presentation on the pit ?

It would go on for so long!
Quote by urik

Homosexual sex for $200?
Be honest.
I'd do it. I think that I could stand one night with a man for the financial security of my whole life and the life of my children
And no I'm not gay. I'm 100% straight.

Quote by mesa5150
spoken like a true jew