can you guys please help me out? i know this isnt the right forum for this but you guys are the most helpful usually.

Im playing an epiphone les paul with a Palomino V8 and a ds-1 distortion and im trying to get the sweet child o mine guitar sound. when i play the intro it just sounds like crap.

so what pedals could i buy or settings to use? thanks
Sweet Child isn't in standard tuning its Eb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb and you won't get close to replicating Slash's Sound.
Well, first things first:

1) tune down half a step to Eb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb
2) Switch to your neck pickup
3) Roll the tone nob all the way back to make the sound nice and mellow
4) Probably turn down your distortion, you don't need that much

That said, a DS-1 is not really the right type of pedal to re-create slash tone. Kurt Cobain used it on his recordings so that gives you an idea of what it's for. You'll want something a little bit smoother. Also, adding some reverb will help (a little).

Slash has said in his biography that he's been unable to recreate that sound since he recorded SCOM, so don't try too hard. Instead, worry about playing the notes correctly.
Main setup:

ESP Eclipse
PRS Torero SE
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster head, 2x12 cab
FX: Crybaby Slash Wah, Ibanez TS9x, Mesa Boogie Throttle Box, Boss TU-2, BF-3, DD-3, PS-6, RC-3, etc.
blahblah

switch to neck pickup, tone at maybe 3/4, dont go too heavy on the distortion because you want to hear the individual notes, try to play the riff perfect and avoid or mute unwanted strings and sounds..that should sound pretty decent, if it doesn't, you're just not playing it right
make sure you play through the neck pickup, turn down the tone control down on your guitar too if you think it sounds better. and yes, tune down a half step
yeah, 95% of a guitar players tone comes from his style of play eg:

in an article I read about Van Halen a guitar guru/teacher met Eddie for an interview one time. Eddie was jamming on his gear and the guru asked Eddie if he could try playing on Eddie's stuff because he wanted to play with that signature sound that was impossible to get. To his surprise the tone sounded nothing like Eddie even though it was on eddie's equipment. Then Eddie proceded to play on the guru's equipment, and to his dismay it sounded exactly like the signature Eddie sound. Point being, it only partially has to do with the equipment.
Quote by farcry
yeah, 95% of a guitar players tone comes from his style of play eg:

in an article I read about Van Halen a guitar guru/teacher met Eddie for an interview one time. Eddie was jamming on his gear and the guru asked Eddie if he could try playing on Eddie's stuff because he wanted to play with that signature sound that was impossible to get. To his surprise the tone sounded nothing like Eddie even though it was on eddie's equipment. Then Eddie proceded to play on the guru's equipment, and to his dismay it sounded exactly like the signature Eddie sound. Point being, it only partially has to do with the equipment.

I'm pretty sure that guru was steve vai
Quote by irishman
I'm pretty that guru was steve vai

could've been, I read it in a guitar book. I'll check it out when I get home.
u know i read in a interview slash him self said hes never been able to reproduce that same tone he got in his first recording of the song
yeah it says in slash autobiography that he had a custom marshall head but he lost it or something and he has never been able to recreate the same sound as he had on appetite again
Quote by irishman
I'm pretty sure that guru was steve vai

Yip.
Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
I usually add a lot of reverb, without it sounds crap. I also own a DS-1, I have the tone at 10 O'Clock and the Distortion at 1 O'Clock. I use a PRS SE Singlecut and I use the neck pickup with the tone at 8. This does not sound exactly like Slash obviously, but it is slightly similar. IMO the reverb and the neck pickup help a lot. I hope that helps.