Ideas? Yeah.

What's your budget, what guitar do you play, what music do you play, name, postcode, list of fears, willingness to do anal?

Ignore the ones you dont feel like answering.
From what I understand, the valveking has better cleans. And that's about it. I personally can't stand the VK's distortion, and the Randalls I've played have sounded pretty sick.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
From what I understand, the valveking has better cleans. And that's about it. I personally can't stand the VK's distortion, and the Randalls I've played have sounded pretty sick.

It's dirty channel is pretty ugly..

That Randall sounds sweet, although I've never played one.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
They bougth cost same, i play rock my guitar is jackson MG Series DKMGT .
Quote by Andrievs
They bougth cost same, i play rock my guitar is jackson MG Series DKMGT .

Randall.
Quote by Andrievs
I cant chose, can some help me? They bought are similar. Any ideas?

Randall if you want t3h br00talz distortion.

Valveking if you want to sound like a fat man crushing sugar puffs between his cheeks.
Quote by uldhppi
Guys, not to be argumentative but I can get that out of my VK112 no problem, maybe a little more. You really ought to try a bunch of amps.

It's not that clear :|.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Quote by uldhppi
Guys, not to be argumentative but I can get that out of my VK112 no problem, maybe a little more. You really ought to try a bunch of amps.

Exactly. Most people who bash the VK don't know how to EQ, and so get a worse tone out of it than those who do. It's a tweaker's amp i'm afraid, just like Mesa/Boogie's amp range (although of course a Mesa would kick the VK from here to Shanghai tonally), and you have to fiddle with it to get good tone.
Quote by bartdevil_metal
Exactly. Most people who bash the VK don't know how to EQ, and so get a worse tone out of it than those who do. It's a tweaker's amp i'm afraid, just like Mesa/Boogie's amp range (although of course a Mesa would kick the VK from here to Shanghai tonally), and you have to fiddle with it to get good tone.

I love my Mesa F30, hate my other guitarist's valveking (he uses a GT-8 through it, it sounds awful without it), and I liked almost every Randall I've played.

No amount of fiddling will fix the "meh"- ness of the VK.
Quote by bartdevil_metal
Exactly. Most people who bash the VK don't know how to EQ, and so get a worse tone out of it than those who do.

Load of bull. You can't know how not to EQ an amp. You EQ it to your tastes, you're not EQing to the Democratic Equalization Commitee's Guideline Standards, are you?

Once you EQ it to your tastes, and you don't like the way the amp sounds, that's it. You don't like the amp.
Quote by Don_Humpador
Load of bull. You can't know how not to EQ an amp. You EQ it to your tastes, you're not EQing to the Democratic Equalization Commitee's Guideline Standards, are you?

Once you EQ it to your tastes, and you don't like the way the amp sounds, that's it. You don't like the amp.

yea but most idiots dont even know their own tastes hence not knowing how to eq properly so "you cant know how not to eq" is false.
You do however have to know how to maximize the strengths of a particular amplifier and a particular instrument. I just got out my LP Studio and imitated the video's dynamics (played some different stacatto runs and did a little tapping) and there is very little difference in the tone. I did this at bedroom volume. The player in the video is much faster than me, but I got close. Clear, articulate with great pinch harmonics and sustain. I don't know why others can't do it if I can. Maybe at gig volumes the speaker flubs up a little, I don't know since I play older forms of rock. No disrespect intended but maybe the limitations are not with the amp, but with the skill levels (both eq and style) of the player. If you have a VK 112 and you can't get pretty close to that tone you may look elsewhere for the difficulty. A tool is only as good as the artisan.
Quote by tr3nt
http://youtube.com/watch?v=VQ0IhD55NBc
--

I wish I could do that out of my VK ..

^ boost pedal Maxon OD-808 would make VK have more gain than the randall

Valve King
Way better cleans
price so low, a boost pedal would make them cost the same
and would actually have more gain than the Randall

Randall
Not so good cleans
Decent gain
cost more, and breaks more often

overall, VK with boost pedal (Maxon OD-808) for the win
Last edited by xWhitechapelx at Feb 5, 2008,
Quote by xWhitechapelx

Valve King
Way better cleans

Randall
Not so good cleans
Decent gain

Where I live, buying used, the Randall is actually cheaper than the VK.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by xWhitechapelx

Valve King
Way better cleans

Randall
Not so good cleans
Decent gain

I have a VK man, and the randall just sounds much better. Also, nothing can break more then the VK. It's made horribly. Everything that can happen wrong with an amp has happened with mine. Carrying it one day and the handle broke off and messed up some wiring in the amp couldn't use it for 2 weeks.

The VK is one of the cheapest 50W tube amps you can buy, and theres a reason for that.

i read an excellent review of the VK in an extremely reputable UK guitar magazine (i think it's on the peavey website). i don't recall reading much about the randall though, but i'm assuming it is very high gain, so it really depends on what sort of moosic you play.
Member of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

Last.fm
Quote by tr3nt
I have a VK man, and the randall just sounds much better. Also, nothing can break more then the VK. It's made horribly. Everything that can happen wrong with an amp has happened with mine. Carrying it one day and the handle broke off and messed up some wiring in the amp couldn't use it for 2 weeks.

The VK is one of the cheapest 50W tube amps you can buy, and theres a reason for that.

you just got unlucky. mines going 1 year strgon with no problems
Quote by tr3nt

has $20 speaker in it to drive down cost, but really the Randall is in the same boat, its a cheap amp too, also not matter what brand amp and model it is always best for you to inspect everything on the amp, put lock tight on screw threads etc, even Peavey 6505's require that. if you read review both the Randall and VK have problems, if you change speaker in VK to celestain it make it cost more than randall right off the bat, but the randalls reported problems are alot more serious if you get a bad one

besides, the VK doesn't sound bad with gain
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aTO0Z-B274
change speakers got better amp than Randall, and this guy didn't change the speakers
randall will likely do metal and cleans slightly better than the VK, but the VK should do most stuff in between that better. also personal preference as to which you prefer is important too. the vk gets bashed a lot around here, and I don't really think it's fair...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The other guitarist in my band uses a ValveKing. I don't like it, and neither does anyone else in my band. But, that is more than likely because I have a Peavey JSX, and compared to the ValveKing, my JSX is the realy ValveKing. Then again, we also play heavy rock/metal(core).

But, I'm also not going to tell you to go with the Randall. I've never played it, so I have no say. The best advice I can give you, is to go out and try them both.
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
the vk sounds too dull and muddy to me every time i try it out
GEAR
- Epi Les Paul Custom (emma)
- Orange Tiny Terror
- 2x12 w/greenbacks
-MXR ZW-44 Overdrivel
- MXR Phase 90
- EB Volume JR.
- Boss DD-3
Quote by Dave_Mc
randall will likely do metal and cleans slightly better than the VK, but the VK should do most stuff in between that better. also personal preference as to which you prefer is important too. the vk gets bashed a lot around here, and I don't really think it's fair...

if you get Maxon OD-808 with valkveking thats still cheaper than Randall and sounds more professional in my opinion, you need good pickups for both amps to sound at their best, not fair comparism as randall has the celestain speaker and the vk has a $20 dollar speaker, change the speaker they both sound good and both need overdrive tube boosters for brotal high gain metal
That doesnt sound too far away from a VK at all, im sure with a proper EQ it should be able to hit that.

RG50TC = $560
ValveKing 112 (You DONT need 100W) = $400

You can mod the **** out of a VK with 160, probably making it better than a RG50TC. New Tubes, New Speaker.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Quote by mike.h
That doesnt sound too far away from a VK at all, im sure with a proper EQ it should be able to hit that.

RG50TC = $560

You can mod the **** out of a VK with 160, probably making it better than a RG50TC. New Tubes, New Speaker.

+1, both would need Maxon OD-808 or some overdrive tuber boost for grit and more gain if needed for the lower volumes
tagged
Quote by Jearl

...dont play Fender just because its Fender.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Squier Bullet (heavily modified)
Mesa Roadster Head & 2x12 cab
Quote by Dave_Mc

Just for the record, The VK has better cleans than the Randall IMHO. And, although the Randall's initial gain range is better, I think that the price difference provides so much more scope to expand the VK. For example, you could do what I did and buy it, replace the speakers and buy a decent o.d for the same price as just buying the Randall. Then you have an amp that is (again IMO) far superior to the Randall.

Just my opinion.
Quote by bartdevil_metal
Just for the record, The VK has better cleans than the Randall IMHO. And, although the Randall's initial gain range is better, I think that the price difference provides so much more scope to expand the VK. For example, you could do what I did and buy it, replace the speakers and buy a decent o.d for the same price as just buying the Randall. Then you have an amp that is (again IMO) far superior to the Randall.

Just my opinion.

yes better for blackmetal and deathmetal and brutal metal and lower gain modern metal and cleans and jazz tones good amp that way

both amps need an OD for boost, so the VK is a better deal
Quote by mike.h

RG50TC = $560

For me Randall is cheaper anyway
Quote by Dave_Mc

dave, you noob

Anyway, go for the Randall..
lolwut?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i think it's alright if you're on a budget and need a wide range of tones...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?