right now im playing with an EMG H-4 in my ESP, I'm the lead guitarist in my band, and my other guitar player has EMG 81's in his guitars...i need that extra puch for my solo's and stuff like that but im concrened about the fact that my guitar is in fact basswood, its already enough that the guitar is alexi laiho's sig. i dont want to sound exactly like him... i just love his guitars, so what do you guys think would be the best pickup for my guitar and amp set up? i play mostly metal, thrash, melodic... you get the idea
Guitars: ESP - Alexi Laiho V
Jackson- RR3
Amp: peavy 5150
Stack: Crate 4x12 & Fender anniv. 4x12
Quote by DamienS
right now im playing with an EMG H-4 in my ESP, I'm the lead guitarist in my band, and my other guitar player has EMG 81's in his guitars...i need that extra puch for my solo's and stuff like that but im concrened about the fact that my guitar is in fact basswood, its already enough that the guitar is alexi laiho's sig. i dont want to sound exactly like him... i just love his guitars, so what do you guys think would be the best pickup for my guitar and amp set up? i play mostly metal, thrash, melodic... you get the idea

Get an OD or boost pedal. Maybe a modded tubescreamer?
i dont like to use effects or anything like that i am a guitar-cable-amp kinda guy
Jackson- RR3
why does everyone point away from an active pickup in a basswood guitar? espically an EMG i mean the passive sounds awesome.
Jackson- RR3
im also trying to stay away from really bassy pickups i use drop tuning and alternate tuning like right now im playing C sharp. so sometimes with those pickups even if the lowe is muted if i accidently hit it when going to a high string or something... it over powers the treble and im trying to eliminate that
Jackson- RR3
I'm running an Emg 81 in my Ibanez and its basswood and love the thing. Also Active Emgs dont really care what guitar or wood there in they all sound the same because the signal is processed so you wont have the bass issues when you pop them in. I was having similar issues in mine i couldn't use my neck pickup because of the amount of bass that was coming out of it. And if you need more boost to get over your other guitarist you can add a After burner.. Its in the guitar no pedal needed...
Quote by IbanezPsycho
I'm running an Emg 81 in my Ibanez and its basswood and love the thing. Also Active Emgs dont really care what guitar or wood there in they all sound the same because the signal is processed so you wont have the bass issues when you pop them in. I was having similar issues in mine i couldn't use my neck pickup because of the amount of bass that was coming out of it. And if you need more boost to get over your other guitarist you can add a After burner.. Its in the guitar no pedal needed...

the signal is just boosted by the onboard preamp, not proccessed.

I wouldn't recommend EMGs but that's because I dislike them anyway.

Dimarzios+ basswood seems to be a popular combination.

EDIT: also basswood doesn't have a lot of low end. the name comes from bast which is the inner bark, not because it has is a bassy wood.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Last edited by Lemoninfluence at Feb 5, 2008,
EMGs work well in basswood, particularly with the 85 in the bridge, though you must have an amp with a lot of character in its voicing and a responsive EQ, or otherwise it sounds kind of meh. The ToneZone works well, though I seemed to have a bit of a tough time getting a good "Chugga Chugga" out of it in my basswood Charvel, though it could just be how I have the magnets set up. Its a very bright pickup for basswood though, so be ready to roll back your tone control slightly. A Duncan Custom Custom or Custom 5 apparently works well too, as they seem to be a popular choice among people with Basswood Charvels.
my guitar only has a bridge pickup... its stright up metal... only a volume pot and floyd rose double locking ... but my main concern is that ive noticed in some guitars with an EMG 81 that solos can sound flat ... not a lot of tone or definition to single nots or sweeps... i was looking at dave mustain live wires... or a blackout, posibly i could buy a lee jackson preamp system to put in my guitar and keep the passive EMG.. but thats like a carbon copy of alexi's set up... i have a original 5150 so my amp is not a problem.
Jackson- RR3
Quote by Lemoninfluence
the signal is just boosted by the onboard preamp, not proccessed.

I wouldn't recommend EMGs but that's because I dislike them anyway.

Dimarzios+ basswood seems to be a popular combination.

EDIT: also basswood doesn't have a lot of low end. the name comes from bast which is the inner bark, not because it has is a bassy wood.

When the signal hits the preamp it is slightly processed and the tone you get is slightly compressed as well due to it hitting the preamp. If all it did was adjust the signal it would not sound like this. I've boosted passives and they never came close to the sound of an EMG. Wood only slightly affects there tone.

And perhaps i should elaborate on what im talking about. Basswood adds midrange and when played it gives you a mid bass response more like a thud then a very low sounding chug.