Hey all. I was about to take my Epi SG in for some work because the knobs and the input are crapping out. I had a thought about changing the pickups, and I was just wondering what kind do you think would sound good in it? I play metal mostly, but I really don't want to have to rout the guitar for active EMG's. I'm also playing through a very ****ty amp, which will soon be replaced. I could wait and just get my input jack worked on, but I'm not sure what I should do now at this point. Any suggestions?
Guitars
Epiphone G-400
Ibanez RG350DX
Amps
Marshall MG50DFX
Fender Bronco
Pedals
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
MXR EVH Flanger
Boss MT-2
Boss NS-2

www.myspace.com/readysetbingo

Quote by Baba O'Riley
SGRocker407 you have some epic hair. Most curly.
I would wait until you replace the amp first. Then see how you like the stock pick ups.If you still don't like them then by all means swap them out. If you change the pickups and keep the same amp you will not see any great improvement in your sound.
The Amp is a very critical piece to your overall sound and tone more so than the pick ups.
Changing your other electronics is not a big expense so go nuts on that if you like.
YA GOTTA HIT IT ON THE ONE
pics of gear updated on profile 11/16/09
Just wait for your new amp.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
agree with wait for the amp, but in my own opinion if you do change them. DiMarzio tone zone at bridge and Duncan 59' at neck. Astronomical amounts of tone and gain for metal, and the 59 at the neck will provide smooth but strong sound and tone for anything from metal to blues to jazz...
Washburn N4
Gibson Les Paul Standard 60's neck
Warmoth Strat w/ SD and fender PU's
Carvin VL212
ADA MP1
Boss GT-10
the amp will do a big difference for you.....BUT, even on my good amp my epiphone sounds like junk compared to other guitars....so....DO BOTH! lol
I'd just wait for the new amp and see how things work out with that
Deffo wait for new amp

and if you're still not satisfied after that, see if you can get your hands on some bareknuckle nailbombs