Yo ug my computer keeps lagging badly, so badly that i have to restart my comp and even then it takes 20 mins to load sometimes. I have just recently installed a new anti virus because for some reason i could not renew my norton.(the anti virus is called Sophos)

I keep hardly any programs open in fact at best i have 2 programs open. The internet and either WoW or Itunes.

My only thought is that it could be because i now have 2 anti viruses and they could be interfearing with oneanother. Are there any other reasons or is my solution correct?

I have a windows xp packard bell the RAM howevr i don't know it is high for example i still have 70% of disk space left and had the comp for 3 maybe 4 years
Last edited by BassmasterGreg at Feb 5, 2008,
wow might be causing it if its always open, its probably using a lot of memory to run the game. Try removing that Anti virus that you dont use, and if that doesnt work maybe only open wow when you use it.
Quote by Richardii
Just remove Norton from your computer and see if the problem persists.

rofl

Ok, this is what you do. Firstly, get the best antivirus you have, and drop the other. One is enough. Secondly, get an anti spyware/malware (search google spybot SD).

Scan with spybot. delete nasties.

Then, search google for Ccleaner. When you get it, run it, and clean out all the nasty stuff in your temp folder. Do the same for the "registry" tab. CLick "scan for issues" and then "fix selected" it will ask for a backup, make one. Then select all of the issues and pick fix all. Then, you go to the "tools" tab and go to "startup"> Get rid of anything that you dont need at startup (WMP, itunes, etc).

After all of that, uninstall anything you dont want/never use.

Then, search up our trusty google again for "jkdefrag" (seriously, its called jkdefrag, no bs).

Run it, you might want to leave for about an hour, seeing as there is probably a bunch of defraged files.

This is what i do almost every week, as you should.

Hope that helps, please post results.
It's not usuallly a good idea to have more than one anti-virus running, as the way they detect viruses is to keep a small sample on your computer. If you have 2 running then there is a very good chance that they will detect each others samples and kick up a big fuss about that.
PLAY UP POMPEY

POMPEY PLAY UP!

When Windows starts lagging like that, I find the only option left is really to reinstall the whole thing. Copy big files that you can't bother to re-download to an external harddisk, run an antivirus over them, then reformat every single local hard drive, reinstall Windows and start from scratch.
I'm a communist. Really.
Quote by Richardii
Just remove Norton from your computer and see if the problem persists.

+1 It fucked my computer right up. Best thing I ever did was getting rid of that.
[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']^ This man knows everything.

Seriously, don't even try and question him, he'll rip your face off with his awesomeness alone.
Quote by Kumanji
@ yet another win post from Vince. Kudos to you, sir.
ty guys i got the Ccleaner and my comp is ruuning faster i still unsure about the wole defragging thing though
Quote by BassmasterGreg
I have a windows xp packard bell the RAM howevr i don't know it is high for example i still have 70% of disk space left and had the comp for 3 maybe 4 years

That doesn't mean the RAM isn't low. RAM =/= Hard Disk. RAM stores data that programs which are running at any moment use, only when they're being run though. So when you turn off your PC your RAM is cleared. Therefore, it could very well be to do with your RAM. Might be your processor though.

And as for the startup thing, start -> run-> "msconfig". But make sure you look on google or something for startup system tasks to figure out which are vital.
Oh right ty, i spoke to this guy who programs computers and basically builds them for my dads company andhe says it will be that i have 2 anti viruses running at the same time. But thanks for advice guys
(y)
Quote by hightension01

Tell her
"I could be playing this *inserts Job For a Cowboys Doom Cd*
but i'd rather play this *inserts *David Crowder followed by Brewster*"

haha yeah that should work

Quote by Aqua Dementia
richrawr FTW!