Hi
I'm thinking of buying a VOX Amplug and use it as a head for a micro cab that I'd like to build.
I'm thinking of building a cab from a pair of computer speakers that I not longer use and connect that cab to the Amplug instead of headphones.
I'll use it for my Jazz class so I don't need it to be too loud, just enough to be heard for 4 or 5 people in a room like 11 x 11 feet .

I've got some questions:

1. Will an Amplug have power enough for drive a pair of cheap computer speakers? or will I need the amplifier that comes with the speakers?
I want it as simple as possible and as small as possible.

2. How is the deal with the Ohms? Do I need to match that?

3. What is better, use the 2 speakers (they are like 1.5" x 3" each) or just 1?

Thanks
get a line 6 pocket pod and use it with the speakers
Quote by chs170
Quote by Carl6661
Quote by chs170
Wow.

This is deep
Was the pun intended?
Actually no

E-married to Nikki82
From what i can determine, the amplug goes straight through headphones.

This means that you do not have to match any ohms. Instead, just build the cab and the computer speakers should have a jack plug already which should just plug in.

I have no idea how loud it will be.
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Quote by Madsalty
From what i can determine, the amplug goes straight through headphones.

This means that you do not have to match any ohms. Instead, just build the cab and the computer speakers should have a jack plug already which should just plug in.

I have no idea how loud it will be.

That's right, the amplug goes straight to the headphone and the computer speakers come with a 1/8" jack plug, so they would go straight through the amplug
You will most likely need a small amp to do the job.

What about using a set of amplified computer speakers and ripping the guts out? You could replace the speaker/speakers with some other small speakers that suit your build, and they come with a nifty little amp that will most likely do the trick. (without any major construction)

I played the Amplug at NAMM. It was very cool. I liked the AC30 version myself, but thats just my taste in Vox amps. It wasn't extremely loud through the larger headphones they had on them, so my guess is you would need an amp of some kind.
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music
Quote by zeroyon
You will most likely need a small amp to do the job.

Ok
I'll probably use the amplifier that comes with the speakers.
I want it simple, so I'm not gonna put a volume knob in the cab.
I guess I should leave the volume all the way up, is that ok?
Quote by zeroyon

You could replace the speaker/speakers with some other small speakers that suit your build, and they come with a nifty little amp that will most likely do the trick.

A car speaker would work?
Just buy those speakers that connect to headphone jacks
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Impedance matching does come into play in this situation. A typical car speaker is 8 ohms. Your computer speaker could be much more or much less, who knows? You'll have to open it up and check it. If the values are close, it should work alright. If the speakers are 1 ohm and you put 8 ohms on there, it will not be loud.

Yes, the volume should just be all the way up, and you use the Amplug to control volume. Sounds like a plan to me.
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music
i connected my amplug directly into some speakers a friend of mine uses on her laptop,
worked perfectly
it was pretty loud
just make sure the speakers are good (dont want to sound like sh*t right?)