So I'm in a bit of a dilemma

For around a £400 price range which is a better guitar?

The Ibanez S470 which is around £330

Mahogany body, a single coil pickup as well as 2 humbuckers and a ZR bridge

http://www.saturnmusic.net/catalog/ibanez-s470-electric-guitar-p-405.html

or the Schecter Hellraiser FR? around £425

Mahogany Body, better pickups (EMG's), Original Floyd Rose, 24 frets

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Hellraiser-C1-FR-Electric-Guitar?sku=513134

If I buy the Ibanez I will still have some cash left for pickups, but I would like the 24 frets of the Schecter, but then again I'd like a single coil as well for a more versatile guitar. Help me choose UG.

Thanks.
PiT LURK3R

Quote by _Mayday_
Fellow Transformers, it has come to my attention that we have the mighty Megatron in our midst!

Ninja of the Ninja Club
the new Schecter Hellraiser 2008, has some new EMGs with single coil mode in the bridge...so +1 point for the schecter?...but the new models will only be shipped in the middle of Feb.....hope it helped a little
sorry man but you wont get that schecter for that price in the uk

and the schecter is miles better

EDIT: how do you guys find all this info out about the new schecter line i could find nothing other than the new hellraiser V
Last edited by the agony scene at Feb 5, 2008,
My .02

Schecter is a great axe for the money. EMGs are something you have to think about though cause its a very specific sound. I love mine but also use a Kramer Nightswan as well so I am constantly switching between guitars.

Ibanez is good guitar as well but in my experience, I prefer the more expensive models with higher end pickups. Single coil is a nice option especially if you play a wide variety of music.
schecter.

but to be honest, i'm not too thrilled with of both of the options.
My name is Charlie.

Gear
Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet
Fender Deville 410
Electro-Harmonix USA Big Muff
Digitech Whammy IV
MXR Micro Amp
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
personally i dont really like schechters that much
some of the more expensive ones are nice but i played a few with locking nuts and flyod rose tremelos but they werent the best things but they did look really hott
some ibanezs can be bad but o think that they're better than schecters
Gear:
Jackson SL-3 Soloist w/ licensed Floyd Rose
Peavey VK 100 Head
Earcandy Boa 2X12 Cab w/ 70 watt Speakers
Fender Frontman 15 Watt Practice Amp

I'M SELLING A HOHNER HR1000 GUITAR. PM ME FOR INFO.
Quote by led,rainsong
personally i dont really like schechters that much
some of the more expensive ones are nice but i played a few with locking nuts and flyod rose tremelos but they werent the best things but they did look really hott
some ibanezs can be bad but o think that they're better than schecters

what didnt you like ? just curious
I didnt get on to well with the Hellraiser FR when I had one...it was just.....clunky, great specs obviously but you need more for a good guitar, the good hardware was all it had going for it really, I would take the ibanez just for the better feel of the thing, but thats just me!
Diezel, Motherfucker
Thanks for the replies guys

I'm playing through a Roland Cube 60

I play a lot of metal but also other genres which is why I wanted a single coil pup.

I also prefer the thinner Ibanez necks, I've heard that the Schecters are chunky, fat necks. Oh well, still no closer to deciding >_<
PiT LURK3R

Quote by _Mayday_
Fellow Transformers, it has come to my attention that we have the mighty Megatron in our midst!

Ninja of the Ninja Club
I own the exact same Ibanez....it's a great guitar, but I'm thinking about replacing the pick-ups on it and my Dean guitar. I can't hit enough pinch harmonics with it on a single coil in the middle, and would be lucky to even hit any placed at the front and back of the bridge of my Dean guitar. Honestly, though, I don't see where you could go wrong with the Ibanez, especilly the S470. It's light as a feather, has a smooth neck, and carries a big punch on distortion. It's great on lead, too!
i love my c1 hellraiser fr. the neck profile is a c that to me isnt thick but if you have small hands it may differ for you.

i play hardcore/dethcore and its amazing and using the 85 i the neck with the volume down u can get some awesome cleans.The 81s cleans are really harsh though if EQ'd well there nice but as you probably know the 81 was made for distortion.

ive had this guitar a month and its just a really great guitar
If I can't decide I might just keep saving my money until I have enough for an Ibanez prestige something. Would it be worth the extra money? Are the prestige models far better than the basic Ibanez models?
PiT LURK3R

Quote by _Mayday_

Ninja of the Ninja Club
Quote by Lord-Hypnos
If I can't decide I might just keep saving my money until I have enough for an Ibanez prestige something. Would it be worth the extra money? Are the prestige models far better than the basic Ibanez models?

Prestige is a nice guitar. HSS American Strat is pretty cool as well.
I would go for the ibanez because i like the feel of it and it's more versatile. And I wouldn't really use the 24rd fret that much, but that's me. And you could swap the pups with the money you don't spend on the schecter.
Quote by WtrPlyr
I would go for the ibanez because i like the feel of it and it's more versatile. And I wouldn't really use the 24rd fret that much, but that's me. And you could swap the pups with the money you don't spend on the schecter.

Hey thanks, I think I agree, 24 frets isn't that important and I'll have plenty money left over if I buy the Ibanez, like you said.

Thanks a lot for all the replies guys.
PiT LURK3R

Quote by _Mayday_

Ninja of the Ninja Club
I'd go for the ibanez and consider a p-up swap. the ZR bridge is nice, if you really want 24 frets i think your idea of saving the extra cash for prestige is a good one, you could get the extra frets with an RG, and edge pro's beat floyds imo,
I'd go for the Ibanez + a pickup swap.

Just for the fact that you prefer Ibanez necks, don't need the 24 frets and EMG's won't sound good through your amp.
I'm an Ibanez man all the way, but I'd say the Schecter.
Better pickups.
I don't even shred
i have the ibanez, its great, i love its feel and its look, it also has really good sustain, which i didnt expect, even with the stock pups

the shecter will probably be alot higher priced due to living in the Uk too
I just recieved my S470 today, and it plays like a charm Thinking about changing pickups though.
Gear as 2015:
Ibanez PGM401
Music Man JP6 (for sale)
Music Man Axis (for sale)
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Ibanez EW Acoustic Steel string
Crappy Cort Acoustic 12-string
NI Rig Kontrol 3 & Guitar Rig 5
Schecter
Quote by mrvile

This is UG, we love Schecters and Ibanez and Jacksons, we hate Deans and BCR's, we hate Marshall MG's, and everyone needs a new amp.
Gor for the Schecter if you dont want to change pickups. Butit wont be as versatile as the Ibanez.

If you go for the Ibanez, like you said, you can swap the pickups to better ones, you have a good bridge(the ZR, and I'm not saying that the OFR is bad).

Dont worry too much about the 24 frets, in my opinion, a versatile guitar with 22 frets is superior to a 24 fret less versatile guitar. But that depends on what you play.
OMG LOOK! I'TS MY SIGNATURE

Quote by Hobolad
I think instruments are as hard to play as you make them, y'know?

EDIT: Damn, I fail for posting serious.

the ZR is a big bonus if you;ve never used an FR type trem before, its very easy to set up and maintain, and its versatile for drop tunings
its really not fair to compare a s470 and a Schecter Hellraiser FR.

the ibanez is considered a middle ranged guitar while the schecter is already a higher ranged guitar. And you shouldn't care whether the schecter comes with emgs,simply because you are paying for them...you can simply save the big bucks by getting the s470 and use the money on upgrading the pups...and besides,the ZR trem is really good stuff...

personally,i would say go for the ibanez and use the cash saved in upgrading the pups...the ZR trem is ftw...and don't sweat about the 2 frets that are missing...it really doesn;'t matter much

EDIT:i'm getting the ibanez too~planned it for a really long time...go with it and join the gang!
Last edited by NoobOnZone at Feb 6, 2008,
I will go with ibanez; ZR trem is very good, and 24 frets sacrifice tone for neck access; more over, you can always swap a pick up, but rarely a trem
I'd say you should save up for a Prestige and get a 24 fret Japanese Saber! Now that would be the best of both worlds and pwn both those guitars!

Anyways, as for the guitars...

Schecter Hellraiser; have you played on before? The Schecter guitars that I have tried always felt rather clunky and huge which didn't sit too comfortably with my liking for thin Ibanez necks. However, it did sound alright even though I was plugged through a Spider III. OFR is top notch, no worries there and EMG's are sound too.

Ibanez S470; excellent guitar IMO and the ZR trem is pretty killer. The pickups suck donkey balls but as you said, you've got left over cash. Swap them out for some pickups of your own choice and bam, decent guitar!
Well I have ordered an Ibanez S470 It should arrive tomorrow

And I have enough for EMG 81/85 pickups in it and a pwnage single coil something and I know a guy who will fit them for me.
PiT LURK3R

Quote by _Mayday_

Ninja of the Ninja Club
Quote by buckethead_jr
I'd go for the Ibanez + a pickup swap.

Just for the fact that you prefer Ibanez necks, don't need the 24 frets and EMG's won't sound good through your amp.

+1, What he said about the pick up. If you like the s470 neck go for it, the Hellraiser neck is way thicker, it might not be comfortable.
I play a schecter hellraiser fr through a roland cube 60
Sounds amazing
Everyone said emgs would sound the same as passive stock pickups through the cube (solid state)
Incorrect
I pump crazy metal tone
So rich
power chords are so much better, a lot more chunky and crisp
Single notes as well; have that butter rich sound through the emgs with mahogany wood
omg delicious
I've played high end Ibanez's
I dont like them