Poll: how do you play power chords?
Poll Options
View poll results: how do you play power chords?
A
15 12%
B
78 64%
other
22 18%
i dont
7 6%
Voters: 122.
A)
_____XXX
1 | | | | |
| | | | | |
| 4 4 | | |
| | | | | |

B)
_____XXX
1 | | | | |
| | | | | |
| 3 4 | | |
| | | | | |

EDIT: i just realized that the thread title could be misinterpreted. Sorry about the horrible diagrams. basically:

A)=you bar your little finger accross 2 strings.
B)=you use your ring finger and little finger to play the 2 strings.
sup?
Last edited by ldl67 at Feb 5, 2008,
uh, neither. both are dischords.

EDIT: ok, I get it now, those are fingers not fret positions.

in that case B, if you do A you'll sound like a mess if you accidently hit strings 1-3
Last edited by freedoms_stain at Feb 5, 2008,
Quote by Pat McRotch
I don't play power chords cause I am afraid of getting electrocuted...

I got electrocuted by a combination of mp3 player and guitar strings.
My mp3 player was on charge and I was using it, crappy design, a current runs through the whole metal casing of the mp3 player so when I touched the strings of the guitar and the mp3 player I got a shock.
I don't.

/bassist

Edit: Okay, I realized that I do have to sometimes play power chords, and I usually use B.
Quote by Trefellin
You know a music scene is fucked up when it becomes difficult to keep track of who killed who, who committed suicide and who alledgedly engaged in cannibalism.

LastFM
Last edited by metal4life592 at Feb 5, 2008,
B ftw.

When i looked at the title, i thought you were really asking how do to play power chords. x)
Quote by Andrusho
B ftw.

When i looked at the title, i thought you were really asking how do to play power chords. x)

yeah, i didnt realize it could be interpreted like that until after i posted the thread. i should have made it "how do YOU play power chords?" or something...

Quote by freshtunes
The proper way is "B".

no, there isn't a "proper" way, there are different ways, and people play whichever they find most comfortable. it really annoys me when people tell you what is "proper" about music.
sup?
Last edited by ldl67 at Feb 5, 2008,
Quote by ldl67
no, there isn't a "proper" way, there are different ways, and people play whichever they find most comfortable. it really annoys me when people tell you what is "proper" about music.

+oneoneoneoneoneoneoneone
i play B when using E, A & D strings, and A for when i'm playin then on A, D & G strings.
"It's funny how most people love the dead. Once you're dead, you're made for life" - Jimi Hendrix

Quote by TheClincher
Is it incest if I had sex with my brother in law's half sister? Because if it is, it was so ****ing worth it.
Quote by Guitar_Obsessed
Like Wise. I find it so much easier.

me too
Quote by aig91
"It doesn't get much beter than that! Ok, maybe a free ibanez guitar and marshall half-stack in perfect condition would be better, but free pancakes comes right behind that"

Quote by neptune1988
"My tone should be like me........FAT! "
Sometimes I bar with my 3rd finger, sometimes I bar with my 4th finger.. Sometimes I use both fingers. Depends on the situation.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Generally B, although i often play the bass note with my thumb. I'm a power chord technique maverick, and i'm dangerous.
Originally Posted By tortillamaster
GUITARS: jugga jiga wa jugga jig wa jugga jiga wa jugga jig wa meedley meedley meedley meedley meeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

My dmusic

I love you but I've chosen darkness
B... unless the chord asks for something like x1333x then I put my index finger on the root note and bar with my ring finger.
I have my both guitars in drop D, so i use just one finger.

██ ██
██ ██
██ ██

just use your index and right finger... no need to use the pinky.
"Even though I've found God, I still love blow jobs, and I still say fuck." - Dave Mustaine

You know, when you, like, you grab a woman's breast and it's... and you feel it and... it feels like a bag of sand when you're touching it.
Quote by loxer
I have my both guitars in drop D, so i use just one finger.

You see ladies and gentlemen, this is what we call a cheater.

hue
I used to ply with my index and ring, then bar with my ring to hit the octave if necessary, although I tried to train myself to use my little finger to hit the octave, now I just hit the 5th with my pinky and bar with it too. It looks cooler :P
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
WHen I first started playing, I would use 2 fingers (A), although after a while I realized that it felt faster to use 3 fingers (B). So thats what I do 95% of the time now