Does anyone know exactly what Jaco Pastorius does to play the harmonics intro in that song? Looking at the tabs on UG it says to use frets 12, 14, 15 with an A.H. above it. My interpertation of that is to finger those frets (left hand) and rest the index finger (right hand) halfway between the fret and bridge while plucking with the pinky. It seems to work but I just want to know if that's what Jaco does or does he do something else?
Last edited by pwrmax at Feb 5, 2008,
You're using your index finger as a node, he (and I, and quite a few others) uses the thumb as the node, this leaves your index finger free to pluck. Either way is fine, if that way is comfortable and works for you then use it, essentially they are exactly the same techniques.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
The node is indeed half-way between your fretted note and the bridge. However, later on, he finds nodes much nearer to the bridge. But yeah, that's what he does, and if you've good technique, those half-way ones will be quite loud.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
The node is indeed half-way between your fretted note and the bridge. However, later on, he finds nodes much nearer to the bridge. But yeah, that's what he does, and if you've good technique, those half-way ones will be quite loud.

You also need some good EQing. Dial in some mids and put some emphasis on the bridge.
On his modern electric bass series (which you can find on youtube) he demonstrates exactly how its done