Page 1 of 2
This is a completely serious question, so I don't want stupid answers like 'because they are' or 'go and listen to your green day and fall out boy'. I like metal, all kinds, from metalcore to thrash to death, and I just can't like Slayer, it's like all the bits I hate about metal blended into one band.

I'll explain why:

1) Tom Arraya is the absolute worst vocalist I've ever heard. He doesn't sing, I don't even think he attempts to. There is absolutely no rhythm to the way he shouts, he just speaks at random times and it makes it sound ridiculous. He just shouts, he doesn't scream or anything (BEFORE anyone has a go at me for that comment, I am NOT saying that songs are made better by screaming). And.... yeah his voice just irritates the **** out of me

2) The solos are terrible. This is the paradox I always see. People bitch about metal bands like Dragonforce just playing super fast solos with no tune or structure, and then Slayer do exactly that to a worse extent and are hailed as one of the greatest metal bands ever?

3) People say Slayer are the heaviest band ever. Well, if playing as quickly as possible so that you can't actually hear the basic notes is heavy, then Dragonforce (again, I'm sorry for the overuse and comparison of Dragonforce, but everything people have a go at Dragonforce for doing, Slayer do as well)

Not every aspect of Slayer is bad, might I add. The drumming is good, but it is in many other bands as well.

Now, will someone give me an objective opinion i.e. not someone who thinks Slayer are Gods on earth and will not tolerate anyone desecrating their name saying something like 'shutup Slayer are ****ing gods \m/' without actually giving a valid reason.

But yeah, will someone please help me out?
It makes you feel manly. Honestly, and i don't even listen much to them.
Their music speaks to your balls, and that's about as much metal as it gets.
Quote by sSyLc
Looking for a bj from an unsuspecting animal eh?
Member of The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society
Quote by denizenz
I came, I saw, I cleaned it up.
Im the same, with the exception of Seasons (just the song) i cannot stand Slayer, they are just horrible, a bore to listen to
I feel exactly the same about them.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
1. Its all about taste. All people in the world doesnt like the same thing.

2. Its all about taste. All people in the world doesnt like the same thing.

3. Its all about taste. All people in the world doesnt like the same thing. And no, they are not the heaviest band in the world but you dont need to be that too be good.. And many of slayer-fans will agree with me.

Not all of us have the same taste in music, wheter it is singinstyle, guitarsolos. etc.
Quote by Grönis
It makes you feel manly. Honestly, and i don't even listen much to them.
Their music speaks to your balls, and that's about as much metal as it gets.

So people who are worried that they might be gay stick on some Slayer and think 'Ah, I'm not gay after all, 'cos I'm listening to Slayer, which is man's music'
I agree with you on pretty much everything man, although I dont mind the vocals.

I only like Seasons In The Abyss and the intro to Reign In Blood (or is it Raining Blood? meh i dunno).
I'd like to address the issue of your not liking the solos:

Imagine a 32nd note neoclassical sweep solo over the chromatic chaos that is Slayer.

That's why they have to be chaotic, waily and sloppy; because otherwise, they would be about as well suited to the music as a cat is suited to a gas oven.
Quote by Jmz123
So people who are worried that they might be gay stick on some Slayer and think 'Ah, I'm not gay after all, 'cos I'm listening to Slayer, which is man's music'
It may very well be that way.
Quote by sSyLc
Looking for a bj from an unsuspecting animal eh?
Member of The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society
Quote by denizenz
I came, I saw, I cleaned it up.
I'm with you. They have some songs with good sounding riffs, but once the singing/talking/whatever starts, it turns me off. I went to see them live and there were a bunch of drunk Indians (I know, what other kind of Indian is there?!) going crazy for them, still couldn't figure out what the big deal with the band was. They did put on a good stage show for a couple of their songs though.
Gear:
Gibson Explorer (white)
Schecter C-1 Classic
Fender SuperSonic 112
Visual Sounds Jekyll & Hyde
EHX No.1 Echo
Ibanez Weeping Demon
I love Slayer, but I can agree with most of your points. Their solos have no structure, and are pretty much all the same.

I think the main reason that Slayer are so popular is because they were one of the first thrash metal bands to get heavy exposure. What they were doing was so different than anything else on the radio at the time. I know there are better thrash bands that didn't make it as big such as Testament, Vio-lence etc...

I can't stand any of Slayer's new stuff. I've had enough to be honest.
Calender

Quote by Xaldin714
why does Thin Lizzy sing in english if they are from ireland
Slayer were one of the original 'big 4' thrash bands back in the day and they have some of the top thrash anthems to their credit (raining blood??!?!?!) but kerry king solos and uncreative riffing has kind of left them flat, they're big because of their legacy not because they still produce blood boiling adrenaline pumping music. I still listen to slayer quite a bit, they give a feeling of evil that I haven't found with any other bands, and I dont mean that "GRR w'ere evil black metal crusaders' kind of cheesy evil, a song like 'angel fo death' is EVIL.
Quote by jim_stewart89
and the intro to Reign In Blood (or is it Raining Blood? meh i dunno).

One really odd thing Slayer did was make a cd called "Reign in Blood" and one of the songs on it is called "Raining Blood" so I think it confuses a lot of people because I mean normally the cd and one of the song names would be the same.
Quote by fireoptic
I love Slayer, but I can agree with most of your points. Their solos have no structure, and are pretty much all the same.

I think the main reason that Slayer are so popular is because they were one of the first thrash metal bands to get heavy exposure. What they were doing was so different than anything else on the radio at the time. I know there are better thrash bands that didn't make it as big such as Testament, Vio-lence etc...

I can't stand any of Slayer's new stuff. I've had enough to be honest.

That actually makes sense thank you
I agree with the solos thing. Kerry King does NOT know how to solo. It seems like he just moves his fingers real, real fast and hopes for the best. I like some of their songs. You don't listen to it for the lyrics or singing, you listen to it to get energized or angry. But then again, there are Pantera songs for that which are MUCH better. Plus Pantera is capable of more than just "beat the **** out of something" metal.
i cant stand them either... i just never thought they were that good.... imo their guitarist are WAY over-rated.
Quote by tarheelfan2
Oh ****, I just found out I got pwned by Joey! Damn...

Quote by funkbass369
GASPPPP! another one pwned by joey!

Quote by funkyfigure8
Lulz Joey Is Teh Ownage I Want His Penus
I agree. I love slayer, don't like King. Its just the energy of pissed off you feel from the song.
Check out jayninevideolessons.wordpress.com
Online Video Guitar lessons, ebooks, and so on. This above blog is how you may contact me for more information, or email me at jayninelessons@gmail.com
i love em. The reason their popular is because their 1 of the big 4 of Thrash. They laid the foundation to Death Metal, and because they just rule ass. IMO they embody "Metal"
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while f
I'm not a fan, I like maybe 2 songs. I hate when people call them death metal or the heaviest band on earth. Their latest album sucked ass, their older material to me was very repetitive and boring.
ohai little sig.
Quote by rhoads4ever
I agree. I love slayer, don't like King. Its just the energy of pissed off you feel from the song.

I can understand that actually. When Machine Head played Imperium at the Black Crusade, and the fast bit kicked in, I went mental in a pit and got a concussion

Great night
SLAAAAYYYYEERRRRRR!!!!

Theres your answer. No other band name sounds as good yelled out like that. Other than that, I really don't know. Probably cos they were part of the big 4 and developed a loyal fanbase from the start. I personally don't like them that much.

The same can be said for a lot of bubble gum pop acts as well.

edit: forgot to mention, slayer sounds a lot better when you're in moshpit.

also, Kreator >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Slayer
Last edited by Inahrima at Feb 5, 2008,
Ok this is the conclusion I have come up with:

They were one of the first and original thrash bands, and because they were so different they developed a fanbase. People still like them to this day because they still produce the same type of music, and even though people don't necessarily like them for their musical quality, people like them because it gives them a chance to go mental and break things.

cool
slayer is , well slayer. you don't have to like them but the ones that do, really do and are hardcore and know about slayer and their style. unfortunately most can't hear the nuances that slayer brings to the table. the reason i think most, slayer fans will understand the meaning from each song, and have a certain feeling about that song, on how it makes them feel. i think the most is just that, where slayer makes you feel certain ways where other bands are just ear candy. And SLayer fans will always be SLAYER fans!!
well slayer have pretty much been going from the start, back when bands like exodus and metallica were getting started when people were looking for the next level of heaviness. there's been much heavier stuff since and there's certainly been better stuff since but people tend to stick with bands that have been going forever. you can see it in other genres with bands like U2 and RHCP.

here are my answers to your points:

1) i don't care too much about vocals. i pretty much just zone them out unless they're whiny. or unless they're very very good, but i don't usually see them as very an important factor in determining the music i like. i know there's a lot more people who share my view.

2) yes, kerry kings solos are terrible. they're mostly just loads of notes (doesn't matter which ones they are) played really fast, with lots of really bad whammy overuse and poor tone. a lot of people are easily impressed by playing like this (i thought he was great when i was first getting into metal). jeff's got some good solos though, and i rate him as a player.

3) people who say slayer are the heaviest band ever need to listen to more music! people who base what music they like on heaviness need to get out more.

also, they are very good songwriters imo. they've always got great riffs, rhythms, structure etc. they just don't have that spark that makes them one of my favorite bands. but for a lot of people it's just what they're looking for.
Ok I get it now. The whole reason for me being irritated in the first place is because the other day I heard Slayer coming from my younger brother's room, and I went in and asked 'Since when did you listen to Slayer?' (normally he listens to My Chemical Romance) and he gave some stupid answer that pretty much meant 'People hail them as the pioneers of metal so I'm going to pretend to like them so I sound cool'.

The funniest bit of that conversation later on, was when he put on Trivium's Master of Puppets (which I think is quite good btw) and he thought they had written it

He had absolutely no clue that Metallica had produced the original
Slayer used to be the 1 band you either loved or hated, nowadays its gotten different. Possibly because how much "metal" is out there today.
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while f
Quote by Symmetry4321
Pantera do what Slayer want to do much better than Slayer ever could

Yeah, let's compare a THRASH METAL band who tried to play the fastest, most offensive stuff possible in a time where not many people went that fast to a band which used to play mid-tempo grooves like a GROOVE METAL band should, while cribbing most of their sound off Exhorder(and worshipped Slayer, as it happens).

Let's not get the fuck out of this thread, like we should. Let's go and compare apples and oranges, shall we?

Enough bloody Pantera fanboyism already.

Like it or not, Slayer influenced a whole generation of guitarists; Morbid Angel, Karl Sanders, Pantera, Suffocation, Cannibal Corpse, Deicide, just to name a few. Not to impose my opinion, but Slayer have obviously been doing something right, even if they got lucky along the way.
it should be "why is slayer popular", because they are still popular and their fan base is ridiculously huge.

i happen to like Tom's vocals, and they suit the songs well. Slayer are kind of "punkish" in term of song structure, and i kind of like that.

I do have to agree that the solos ruin the songs. Imagine Slayer with no solos on any of their songs (NIRVANA). Don't forget people that Chris Hanneman also helps to produce at least half of the bad solos in Slayer's arsenal (Kerry provides the other half).
Look at my avatar and tell me it ain't the cutest baby you've ever seen.
Quote by wideheim
1. Its all about taste. All people in the world doesnt like the same thing.

2. Its all about taste. All people in the world doesnt like the same thing.

3. Its all about taste. All people in the world doesnt like the same thing. And no, they are not the heaviest band in the world but you dont need to be that too be good.. And many of slayer-fans will agree with me.

Not all of us have the same taste in music, wheter it is singinstyle, guitarsolos. etc.

Exactly, different people like different things. Its not like the opinion of one is the universal standard or anything.
Quote by Symmetry4321
Pantera do what Slayer want to do much better than Slayer ever could

*slap*

OP; Tom actually did used to be able to "sing." Their first album is very Judis Preist high sing if you know I mean.

Quote by webbtje
I'd like to address the issue of your not liking the solos:

Imagine a 32nd note neoclassical sweep solo over the chromatic chaos that is Slayer.

That's why they have to be chaotic, waily and sloppy; because otherwise, they would be about as well suited to the music as a cat is suited to a gas oven.

That's exactly right. If you put some crazy neo-class. stringskipping sweep it would sound even more like balls. They have to solo fast keep up with their riffs. Seasons is wayyy slower then like..Angel of Death, that's why everyone likes that solo so much.
bree bree look how fucking metal i am
Quote by Jmz123

Dying Fetus is manly music, Slayer is for women.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
Well, for one, I do like Tom's voice, its aggressive and raw.
I also like the solo's, yeah, they are chaotic, but still, I think they are sweet.
but, like you asked, I dont know why they are so popular, but I want to say, that you dont like them, doesnt mean everybody dislikes them.
1) Tom Arraya is the absolute worst vocalist I've ever heard. He doesn't sing, I don't even think he attempts to. There is absolutely no rhythm to the way he shouts, he just speaks at random times and it makes it sound ridiculous. He just shouts, he doesn't scream or anything (BEFORE anyone has a go at me for that comment, I am NOT saying that songs are made better by screaming). And.... yeah his voice just irritates the **** out of me

Preferance really, but I dont mind his vocals.

2) The solos are terrible. This is the paradox I always see. People bitch about metal bands like Dragonforce just playing super fast solos with no tune or structure, and then Slayer do exactly that to a worse extent and are hailed as one of the greatest metal bands ever?

Theyre supposed to sounds chaotic and they dont just play fast, they use whammy bar abuse too and other stuff. They play fast because they want it to sounds chaotic, not for showing off or anything else.

3) People say Slayer are the heaviest band ever. Well, if playing as quickly as possible so that you can't actually hear the basic notes is heavy, then Dragonforce (again, I'm sorry for the overuse and comparison of Dragonforce, but everything people have a go at Dragonforce for doing, Slayer do as well)

If you cant hear the notes in Slayers riffs then you must be deaf. Theyre not even that fast compared to some other bands. People bash Dragonforce because they just play fast SOLOS, not because they play fast in general, lots of bands do that and its really just a matter of taste. And they dont just play fast either, listen to South Of Heaven for instance.
To add: Like Slayer or not, but you cant deny that Reigning Blood had major influence on Metal these days.
i like slayer. i just like their riffs and vocals. thats all there is too it. i do agree with the solos thing though, even though i dont mind too much about that. because the chaos in their solos sounds cool to me a lot of the time.

Jack my swag
Quote by NewYorkShredder
Don't forget people that Chris Hanneman also helps to produce at least half of the bad solos in Slayer's arsenal (Kerry provides the other half).

Nope, Jeff wrote better stuff during the Seasons era. I hate the stuff when Kerry became the more prominant written during Diabolica, God Hates Us All, ect. It didnt have the ominous, evil feel that Jeffs stuff capture more of. (IMO) Jeff>Kerry. Also Lambardo was a pretty influencial drummer in his time, his drumming was more assaulting that the other big name thrash bands, which captured my eye when I first started listening to thrash.
Page 1 of 2