Everyones telling me EMGs are the way to go.. I'm not sure..
Can anyone tell me if they're really THAT good?
I'm wanting to replace the bridge pickup as I need a slightly heavier sound..
I'm playing Epiphone Les Paul custom and the stock pickups are already decent.
Could anyone provide a kind of demo of one, or tell me if they're really worth it/explain what's so good about them?
I don't wanna go wasting £80
Quote by Brian 1.0
Don't listen to him, he likes rap.

Quote by napalm_monkey
i like to drink washing up liquid, it makes my throat feel fresh and smell like plates.

Quote by thomaserak
kill yourself, that'll show 'em.
I have 81/85 EMG's..
They're totally worth it. The signal is just a lot stronger and clearer. If you're using going to use distortion EMG's make your sound a lot beefier.
They provide much higher output than normal passive humbuckers can, but arent really toneful, especially clean. And you would have to replace alot of the electronics and the neck humbucker as well. Since you only need sightly heavier, I would try a DiMarzio PAF Pro or maybe an Evo.
I'm looking for a Trivium sort of tone.
Quote by Brian 1.0

Quote by napalm_monkey
i like to drink washing up liquid, it makes my throat feel fresh and smell like plates.

Quote by thomaserak
EMGs are worth it if you're looking for a really metal tone. If you're just looking for something beefier, I would consider a Seymour Duncan SH-5 Custom which is what I have in my Ravelle.
Main setup:

ESP Eclipse
PRS Torero SE
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster head, 2x12 cab
FX: Crybaby Slash Wah, Ibanez TS9x, Mesa Boogie Throttle Box, Boss TU-2, BF-3, DD-3, PS-6, RC-3, etc.
If i got an emg 81 would I have to replace the neck pickup aswell?
Quote by Brian 1.0

Quote by napalm_monkey

Quote by thomaserak
i've just built and IC300 and i fitted it with EMG 81 and 85, they are the dog bollocks, the sound is fat, chunky and heavy. Exactly what i wanted!
Quote by tomisfatt01
If i got an emg 81 would I have to replace the neck pickup aswell?

It'd be best to switch both pickups to active ones.
You wouldn't be getting the most out of actives with 500k pots, and the same goes for passives with 25k pots. You could wire the bridge volume and tone with 25k and leave the neck passive with the pots it has now, but using them together won't sound great. You could put a booster on the neck pup to match the output of the EMG, and you'd be fine with 25k pots.

But really, it's just best to switch to both active, or go with one of the passive pickups recomended earlier...
If you wanted to put the emg 81 in, yeah, I'd change the neck pickup. I have(like others above) the EMG 81/85 set. The set is killer, very high output, but really quiet as well. The only thing I dislike about the 81/85 set, is that the 85 is actually quite a bit louder than the 81, but is fixed by lowering the pickup.

You lose a lot of roundness with the 81, it's very......aggressive. Some say it's a bit thin sounding, which I agree with to a degree when playing side by side with other pickups, but it incredibly enhances the gain structure.

The 85 compliments the 81 very well. It provides a really round, deep, and clear tone great for clean channel playing or playing with some OD. I don't think you can go wrong with these things. I got them both together and replaced the pots and everything.

They're a great pickup if you're looking for something with tight high output. I wouldn't say that they are for everyone though...

If you want to replace your pickups, you might also want to look into Gibson Classic 57's or Burstbuckers though... I've been considering swapping them out for these.
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Oh and forgot to mention. I don't know where any sound clips are, but if you want to hear some in action, just give any Zakk Wylde album a play. He uses the EMG 81/85 setup.
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Quote by qotsa1998
They provide much higher output than normal passive humbuckers can, but arent really toneful, especially clean. And you would have to replace alot of the electronics and the neck humbucker as well. Since you only need sightly heavier, I would try a DiMarzio PAF Pro or maybe an Evo.

+1 on the Evo.
or maybe a Bare Knuckle Nail bomb or a Kent Armstrong Motherbucker ( tis like 2 hotrail pickups shoved into the casing of a HB).
GEAR:
Epiphone LP special model 2 (Heavily modded - killswitch and custom midi X-Y touch pad).
Digitech Whammy, Zvex Fuzz Factory, Boss Dynamic Wah, Electro harmonix Little Big Muff, Zoom G7.1ut, Digitech Grunge, Korg KP2.
Marshall AVT 50x
Quote by Matt-j-chapman
you write 'boss mt-2 modded' what does modded mean?

Slang for modifying a piece of Hardware or Software. in this case taking the MT-2 and adding and/or removing bits to change the "stock" product.
GEAR:
Epiphone LP special model 2 (Heavily modded - killswitch and custom midi X-Y touch pad).
Digitech Whammy, Zvex Fuzz Factory, Boss Dynamic Wah, Electro harmonix Little Big Muff, Zoom G7.1ut, Digitech Grunge, Korg KP2.
Marshall AVT 50x
Quote by Matt-j-chapman
you write 'boss mt-2 modded' what does modded mean?

It's modified..

I've replaced components within the pedal(circuit components) to change the overall sound characteristics from that of the stock pedal..

Detailed, it's not as nasally, provides a much rounder midrange, and the gain structure is a lot smoother from high to low...
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
go with a new passive or change both to emg's. may i suggest the 81 bridge/60 neck combo
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer