Well, ive had threads in the past about what amp to get...

I've never tried it but the 5150 II but from what ive read/heard it seems good for cleans/lead... not really crunch/clean but i guess thats ok.

It wouldnt be optimal at bedroom volumes But when loud itll be ok. Im in a band at this time, so itll be good for weekend jams/upcoming shows (as we are starting to try to book shows; i guess i could just also use other amps there too...) What if we'd break up though? This amp needs to be good for quiet volumes too and worrying about wearing tubes for bedroom playing? Eh. Doesnt seem too handy.

Hmm. I would go for a combo but i cant seem to find one. I dont NEED the head + cab, but i guess i may have to go with a 5150 II head and a regular 5150 cab, if thats ok?

What would be a good deal for these, both used? I may be able to find a good deal, but just some opinions on what others think would be good is nice

Note that this was up against an XXX combo and ive actually tried one, but for this type of heavier metal when i play it (though i would like a little versatility at least you know), this amp seems to be what i read as the winner. I have heard the XXX is good for thrash, but for heaviness, the 5150. Hopefully the 5150 II wont be too much of a gain sacrifice, and its not from what i hear.
Last edited by Aus-10 at Feb 5, 2008,
the 5150III is immense

its less so for bedroom volumes
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
the 5150III is immense

its less so for bedroom volumes

I think he's referring to the Peavey 5150II/6505+ as opposed to the Fender 5150 III.
You say you would like a little more versatility?

I would suggest a Peavey JSX. I believe it's a little more expensive, but it is extremely versatile. Read up on it a little bit and maybe give it a show, as well as the 5150II/6505+.
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
Quote by codybcool
I think he's referring to the Peavey 5150II/6505+ as opposed to the Fender 5150 III.

fender?!?!

i was on about the one with EVH plastered all over it. the peavey.

it took my face off, but its just not gonna do bedroom at all
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
it took my face off, but its just not gonna do bedroom at all

why? anyone can play any amp at bedroom volumes all day long. thats why amps have "volume knobs". you wont get as much tube saturation at low volumes, but its still going to sound like a 5150.
Well Enough Alone
It sounds good at low volumes.

It just sounds so much better when ear-shatteringly loud.
A b-52 amp looks very inexpensive for a tube amp... Its tempting.

But i wonder how much better a 5150 would be?

I'd like a 5150 II combo (unless i can get a really good deal on a head, but then again id then need a cab; and the stack would be a little too big for me.

I just missed a FJA modded regular 5150 head at around $750 on ebay.

Seems like a great deal to me, even used. Arent those mods like $550? (And what about shipping to the place)?

Or actually... Would a $700 bias modded head for a regular 5150 be ok for metalcore/leads and others (since its modded), or have nice cleans, if its biased "warmer".

EDIT: I've found both a combo AND a half stack [head and cab], each for $800...

I'd originally wanted a combo for easier portability and less massiveness than what it'd already have (not less tubes though, id say)... But both for $800 USD... Help please?
Last edited by Aus-10 at Feb 5, 2008,