hi, i've played guitar for quite a while now, and am thinking of branching into bass guitar territory. I'd love to stick some grooves on some of my recordings and jam with some of my mates who play guitar. Anyway, i pretty much know nothing about bass guitars, except a lot of the bands i like use 5 stings so i think i'd like to go for one of them. From looking at a few bass designs, Warwicks seem the most appealing to me, and then maybe stingrays also. However my budget is faily low, maybe £250-300 max, so real warwicks are out of the question, so i was thinking about the rockbass line. Also, as far as the rockbasses go, what are the differences in features and sound between the corvette and the streamer models? (these seem to be my favourite looking models). Oh, and i'm looking to play modern rock, hard rock and some metal. Things like Alter bridge, Breaking benjamin etc....

Any help is much appreciated
Quote by Lukeisonfire
tool and opeth definitly dont play tube amps . You cant get those distorted sounds out of it. tube is for like beatles stuff right?

Quote by evilbeaver22
You're right, just about the only thing better than a Spider 3 is an MG : )

Left field remark:

Go for a Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass.

It is a 4 string, but the default strings hold up well to a Drop B Tuning. (BEAD. Used to simulate a 5 string bass on a 4 string.)

The pickups are amazing, and its pretty damn cheap, too. It's supposedly made for funk, but dail the tone into the floor and turn the bass and gain up. You'll have a goddamn crunchy demon bass in your hands.

It doesn't exactly scream deathmetal, but its pretty nice looking.

I think I paid $230 US for it.

As far as Warwicks go, I think they're for rich people like Breaking Benjamin and KoRn. I would love to have a Warwick, or even a Warwick knockoff (halfway decent one, that is.), but they're so damn expensive. As for me, I'll stick to my Squier Funk-turned-Death-Metal crunchy bass.

Hope this helps.
See, I think the whole Warwick RockBass line is a bit of a misnomer. OK, the electronics, some hardware, and the body shapes and designs are undoubtedly Warwick, but the body woods and bridges are not. They're typically alder bodies with maple necks and rosewood fingerboards - i.e. Fender territory. RockBasses would sound more like modern MIM Fenders than actual Warwicks. The pickups give a Warwick-esque tone, but the body woods simply do not.

However, the Streamer Standard is a bit of an exception - it uses the same hardware, body wood, and electronics as the original Streamer Standard that Warwick made. The neck is the only difference, and a major one at that. Keep in mind that the Streamer Standard was Warwick's budget bass. That said, the Streamer Standard sounds more like it's Warwick counterpart, the $500 Streamer Standard, than the Corvette sounds like it's Warwick counterpart, the $1000+ Corvette Standard. But do not for one second think you'll sound anything remotely like the Streamer LX or Stages.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
thx for the tips and suggestions guys.......i was browsing ebay and found this....http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/H-S-Sequoia-II-5-5-string-bass-custom-modell_W0QQitemZ360010547284QQihZ023QQcategoryZ4713QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQtrksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem Now i know it's a no-name, but i'm just asking here on the off chance if anyone has used one, or knows anyone who has tried one. It's pretty damn cheap so i'm guessing it's gonna be bad lol, but it just caught my eye

Edit: also just another bass related question.....what sort of minimum wattage would i be looking at to keep up with a full band, say with an averagely loud drummer?

another edit: one of the posts above mentioned just tuning down a regular 4 string to the same as the 4 heaviest strings on a 5 string as an alternative....how do basses cope with that? do the strings go ridiculously loose, because tuning a guitar down that much ruins the tuning stability and feels far too floppy
Quote by Lukeisonfire
tool and opeth definitly dont play tube amps . You cant get those distorted sounds out of it. tube is for like beatles stuff right?

Quote by evilbeaver22
You're right, just about the only thing better than a Spider 3 is an MG : )

Last edited by Pete Griffin at Feb 5, 2008,