Page 1 of 4
What do English people think about the American Revolution? I'm an American and I'm just really curious to see what you think.
Quote by Inimical
So he's sexually attracted to animal rights activists?

That's messed up.

Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
If Pokemon were real, I'd get me some sweet, sweet Jynx pussy.
Couldn't be fussed really. It happened ages ago and has nothing to do with us.
Quote by denizenz
Cute in English is the same as grim and frostbitten in Nordic.

Gear:
Washburn T14 B
Laney RB-1
Well, being Irish I don't really care about it, I'm a bit ignorant on the matter though.

We have our own history like the 1916 rising ect.
UG's Yellow Ranger

i dont even know what it is lol

shows you how smart i am

,--.-'-,--.
\ /-~-\ /
/ )' a a `( \
( ( ,---. ) )
THIS WAS MEANT TO BE A PIG
\ `(_o_o_)' /
\ `-' /
| |---| |
[_] [_]
Wow...okay. I mean, do you guys talk about it in schools. What is the general impression?
Quote by Inimical
So he's sexually attracted to animal rights activists?

That's messed up.

Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
If Pokemon were real, I'd get me some sweet, sweet Jynx pussy.
I'm angered by it even now, and am disgusted to see American's thinking they are free of us. WHAT WAS ONCE OURS SHALL AGAIN BE OURS!!!
It's beneath our interest. That's why practically no one over here really has a clue about it.
I know I sure as hell don't know, and neither do any of my friends or family, and nor do they give a shit.
You all stick to your history and we all stick to ours. I bet you couldn't name a lot of things about our history that we know, for the same reasons I just gave you lol.
I hope it doesn't seem, like I'm young, foolish, and green.
Let me in for a minute, you're not my life but I want you in it

O Dayya, te echaré de menos, siempre

Y siempre
Y para siempre
Quote by ragebass89
Wow...okay. I mean, do you guys talk about it in schools. What is the general impression?

Not really. To be honest, that's your history, not ours. History generally is taught as things that were good for your own country. I mean, It'd be a bit rubbish to teach in schools how America kicked our asses.
Quote by denizenz

Gear:
Washburn T14 B
Laney RB-1
Quote by Grimme
I'm angered by it even now, and am disgusted to see American's thinking they are free of us. WHAT WAS ONCE OURS SHALL AGAIN BE OURS!!!

jealousmuch?
Quote by ragebass89

Here's a serious reply...

People barely/rarely are taught about that in schools, at all.

People in the UK love to bash America, as you can see above.. on varying levels.

The irony is alot of people in the UK are certainly no better than what they bash - materially driven, cold to strangers, dislocated from other types of people in society etc, perhaps more than they even realise.

The whole thing is hypocritical at best. This is just my little opinion though...
I think tis safe to say we've got over it
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
Quote by About 2 Snap
Not really. To be honest, that's your history, not ours. History generally is taught as things that were good for your own country. I mean, It'd be a bit rubbish to teach in schools how America kicked our asses.

Then again, I'm pretty sure Germany teach both the First and Second wars in their schools. I mean, it'd be stupid if the most important events of modern history weren't taught, right?
Quote by BlackLuster
It's beneath our interest. That's why practically no one over here really has a clue about it.
I know I sure as hell don't know, and neither do any of my friends or family, and nor do they give a shit.
You all stick to your history and we all stick to ours. I bet you couldn't name a lot of things about our history that we know, for the same reasons I just gave you lol.

Now, this is a real flaw in the theory of Globalisation.

Since we are, materialistically, much like America, with a culture merging, the history remains seperate.

Interesting....
In Blighty we are taught about The Industrial Revolution, both World Wars, The Romans and Post-War Britain. The American Revolution is kinda Woosh! to us.
How do we -Americans- feel about the British blues invasion? I think it ruled. That's the real question.
Quote by ragebass89

History varies by region. I live in Scotland, scottish history is taught at school. We had little/no part in the revolution so we don't care. Plus, over all, its a tiny percentage of the enormous history of the UK.

America only has a few hundred years of history, so that's a big event for you. we've got about 2000 years of history. <10 years of war with Americans isn't that big of a deal.
Personally I don't think it really matters. It's a bit off tha most Americans consider it a great victory when we had to send soldiers thousands of miles across the atlantic to even fight, and we were fighting the french and plenty of other more demanding wars in europes at the same time. And considering the fact the Englad is like, tiny, it's not so surprising we 'lost' if you can really say that. Bit like vietnam really wasn't it?
well on some level we should be grateful to the US for getting rid of us because due to the setback in North America we turned our attention towards

dun dun duuun

India. Which turned out to be far richer in materials that we needed than America.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
Most people can't argue against independence being a good thing.

Being proud of your country's past=/=being proud of your country's government in the past.
Quote by wiggy1988
well on some level we should be grateful to the US for getting rid of us because due to the setback in North America we turned our attention towards

dun dun duuun

India. Which turned out to be far richer in materials that we needed than America.

And then we gave it back.
Big mistake on our part eh
I hope it doesn't seem, like I'm young, foolish, and green.
Let me in for a minute, you're not my life but I want you in it

O Dayya, te echaré de menos, siempre

Y siempre
Y para siempre
I used to live in America, so I learned (learnt?) it all from the point of the Americans.
Seemed a little biased to me... but then, History is written by the winners. You gotta wonder how the Germans handle WW2.
It's not taught at all in the UK, but some people have a bit of an idea of what happened.
I look at what America is now, and wonder if it's good we got rid of them.... How different would the world be if the USA was still part of the UK?
Quote by DistantScreams
Awwwww.... CaptainBec that was messed up

Why? Because I rap about reality? Like me and my grandma having a cup of tea?
There ain't no party like my nanna's tea party - heey - ho!
In all honesty though I've took history all my life and know nothing about the war of independece other than we lost it and had to go exploit some other countries.
We've never been taught the American Revolution at my school. It's generally just a footnote on the collapse of the British Empire, if that.

I personally don't care who technically rules a country, but how they rule it. It was inevitable that America would break away from the Empire - you lot are too far away, and your economy was just growing too quickly.
Quote by slayer_rule_\m/
i wonder what it would be like if britain stilled ruled america?

We'd be in the **** cus of their failing economy.
“The English could rule the world, Arthur did, He took an army to the far Indus. There was nothing left to conquer; the world was his.”

“But Arturious is dead. His empire is gone. And so we live in evil days. The free men of England have turned on each other, instead of their proper enemies – those who envy all the English have done. Arturious must weep. If the dead weep. I would weep in his place, But I would also hope. The world turns. What was may come again – the Fates still spin webs of men’s lives. So now, perhaps, the Gods wish England to be great again. Perhaps a new Arturious will take up the sword. Bring order where there is chaos. Remake the world of men to a better plan.”

-Rome total war ftw!
Not that bothered?
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by slayer_rule_\m/
i wonder what it would be like if britain stilled ruled america?

There would be a chain called "Crumpet House" rather than "Waffle House"
Quote by denizenz

Gear:
Washburn T14 B
Laney RB-1
It just goes straight over our heads. This is how its taught in schools:
We colonised America but they didn't want to be under British rule so we both fought and then they got to keep America.
Its usually used as an example when being taught about the commonwealth in primary school.

In other words, us Brits couldn't care less. It's not that important I'd say, especially compared to the rest of the history we've got.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

I suspect its a pretty interesting topic but it doesn't really bear any relevance to me, so I've never been inclined to look into it.
Quote by its_alive
rich_sg, I promote you to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. of the Pit. way to speak your opinion.

Quote by ErnieBallfists
RICH_SG you are a filthy person for accusing me of dirty trolling , you are a stiff coconut
Quote by rich_sg
I suspect its a pretty interesting topic but it doesn't really bear any relevance to me, so I've never been inclined to look into it.

I think history is a 'what can we learn nfrom the past' sort of thing.

What can we learn from the American revolution? If you're going to Tax a country, at least give them proper representation or they will attempt to kill you.

Well, since we don't do that anymore it's not a lesson we need anymore
As has been mentioned, we're not really taught about it over here, and I'll hazard a guess at this being because:

a) It's a comparatively small piece of history when you look at what else we don't learn about our history. I can't remember EVER doing anything about our glorious empire.
b) PC brigades, I remember reading an article about some school not teaching anything regarding the holocaust because it was "too sensitive". Come on! We need to learn about what's happened in the past so it doesn't happen in the future, yea?

Anyway, you Yanks threw a load of our tea into a harbour and had a minor skirmish over a continent, it's barely essential knowledge
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
Last edited by roythereaper at Feb 5, 2008,
Quote by roythereaper
b) PC brigades, I remember reading an article about some school not teaching anything regarding the holocaust because it was "too sensitive". Come on! We need to learn about what's happened in the past so it doesn't happen in the future, yea?

If it was related to this then it wasn't true: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7226778.stm
American Revolution?

When and why did America turn around?

On a serious note: I haven't heard anyone mention it, ever.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Page 1 of 4