I've read numerous guides, multiple times, and I'm apparently a bit thick

I can understand the 1 - 3- 5 major triads, and how this relates to the major scale, but I still don't see how I apply this to the fretboard...for example:

C
x32010 = 1st 3rd 5th 1st 3rd

But how do I know to use the open strings and to mute the low E from this formula? How do I work out that the 1st and 3rd have to be repeated? I bet it's obvious and I'm just dumb....
Basically a major chord is any 1 3, and 5 from the major scale. That is the 1st, 3rd, and 5th notes from the scale. You play these notes together and you've got a major chord. If that is what your asking, I don;t really get your question.
"Blues is what you got when everything else is
gone." - J.Lansdowne
You don't have to repeat any of them. It's just that if you do, it sounds fuller and louder, as you're using more strings.
Quote by Riot Act
You know to not play the E because its not a 1, 3, or 5. And it sucks when you play it.

Oh quite the contrary. E is the 3. But it being lower than the root makes it sound bad. Its an inversion that way.
"Blues is what you got when everything else is
gone." - J.Lansdowne
Quote by GD_GC
Oh quite the contrary. E is the 3. But it being lower than the root makes it sound bad. Its an inversion that way.

+1
Strat / SH-201 -> DOD Mixer -> ZVex Mastotron -> Fulltone Clyde -> BYOC OD II -> Ibanez FLL -> VS Chorus -> DOD FX 96 -> Boss DD-6 -> MXR 10-Band EQ -> Boss RC-2 -> Stereo Mixer -> Alesis PicoVerb -> Peavey Delta Blues 210/Yamaha Fifty112
Quote by blue_strat
You don't have to repeat any of them. It's just that if you do, it sounds fuller and louder, as you're using more strings.

So anything under 1 3 or 5 can be played, it's just a matter of how it sounds, same with the other triads.

Good stuff, thanks guys!