Poll: Which Guitar (Preferably under $900 or so)
Poll Options
View poll results: Which Guitar (Preferably under $900 or so)
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
8 24%
Gibson Les Paul Studio
11 32%
Schecter C-1 Classic
12 35%
Other (Specify)
3 9%
Voters: 34.
Well, I WAS dead- set on getting a Schecter C-1 Classic once I sell my Gibson SG Faded. No longer the case. Now I'm being pulled in 2 different directions (this is a representation of what my mind is telling me right now)-

Direction 1: Dude, you're playing more and more metal, you should get something with EMGs or Blackouts, maybe even a Floyd Rose. You like Schecters, why not the C-1 Hellraiser FR?

Direction 2: Pfft.. you can't get EMGs, you play WAY too much light stuff for that. How would Sublime sound with an 81/ 85 set? Plus, you know nothing about Floyd Roses, do you really want to deal with that? You loved the LP Sudio you played at GC, you can get one used for around $800.

Direction 3: C'mon dude, stay with the C-1 Classic! Sure, some people say the Jazz/JB set is overrated but you liked them well enough! Plus, it looks dead sexy!

I'm playing through a Mesa F30, and I play pretty much everything on the gain spectrum. I'm in a Classic/ Hard/ Funk Rock band atm, and I might be joining a metal/ hardcore band soon. I play (In ascending order gain- wise)

The Beatles, Phish, Sublime, SRV, The Clash, Cream, Lynyrd Skynyrd, AC/DC, Buckcherry, GN'R, Eagles of Death Metal, EndeverafteR, The Darkness, Queens of the Stone Age,Iron Maiden, Metallica, Enter Shikari, Anthrax, Megadeth, As I Lay Dying, Trivium... you get the idea.

Give me suggestions, UG!!!
I bought the C1-classic bout 4 years ago, the guitar is simply amazing. I was in the same situation, and moved from rock to metal. The duncans sounded amazing for metal, but I am a gain junky so I switched them for EMGs.

Get the C1-classic, its an amazing guitar for any genre, and more versatile than the Hellraiser.
WTLTL 2011
I'm liking the Classic route. Since you might be changing tunings alot for those bands that play in drop D or D standard, you might not want a Floyd Rose. And, you're right, EMG's won't give you that good of a tone except for metal. I say, stay with the Sch. Classic.
Out of those bands that you listed the C1 Classic can get all, but might have a bit of trouble doing As I Lay Dying and Trivium.

As for anyone saying the Jazz/JB set is overrated, they are sorely mistaken and probably semi-retarded. Those pickups are amazing! To be able to go from a rich bluesy tone to harder metal with a flip of a switch is awesome!
Gear:
Gibson Explorer (white)
Schecter C-1 Classic
Fender SuperSonic 112
Visual Sounds Jekyll & Hyde
EHX No.1 Echo
Ibanez Weeping Demon
c1 classic.
My name is Charlie.

Gear
Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet
Fender Deville 410
Electro-Harmonix USA Big Muff
Digitech Whammy IV
MXR Micro Amp
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by pucci6d6
I'm liking the Classic route. Since you might be changing tunings alot for those bands that play in drop D or D standard, you might not want a Floyd Rose. And, you're right, EMG's won't give you that good of a tone except for metal. I say, stay with the Sch. Classic.

But, the way I understand it, EMG's push your amp into overdrive faster, right? So, couldn't I theoretically just dial down my normal gain settings for the mid- gain stuff (The Darkness, AC/DC)? I realize I'd be sacrificing the low- gain and clean tones, but I might be able to borrow my drummer's MIA Strat for playing them live.
WEll the EMS would suffice for the metal side, but dont sound that great clean. I love Seymour Duncans, and the JB does have a high output. But i agree with the buy who said the floyd rose would mess up drop tuning on the fly. I say get the Classic, and if you REALLY need EMGs for some crazy reason go and buy some.
other - a HSS strat and replace the humbucker with something hot for the metal and have the single coils for ska and indie or whatever
PRS Custom 22
Fender American Stratocaster
Fender Road Worn Telecaster
Fairclough Sky Accoustic

Laney VC15-110
Roland MicroCube
Quote by KrgrHomebrew
Out of those bands that you listed the C1 Classic can get all, but might have a bit of trouble doing As I Lay Dying and Trivium.

As for anyone saying the Jazz/JB set is overrated, they are sorely mistaken and probably semi-retarded. Those pickups are amazing! To be able to go from a rich bluesy tone to harder metal with a flip of a switch is awesome!

My problem with the Classic is the Jazz in the Bridge... I use my treble pickup A LOT, even for rhythm playing. What if I got the Classic and put a SD Blackout in the bridge?

Quote by gishuk
other - a HSS strat and replace the humbucker with something hot for the metal and have the single coils for ska and indie or whatever

I thought about that, but there's something about playing Strats for anything other than really light- gain stuff makes me want to kill nuns.
Last edited by hrdcorelaxplaya at Feb 5, 2008,
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
My problem with the Classic is the Jazz in the Bridge... I use my treble pickup A LOT, even for rhythm playing. What if I got the Classic and put a SD Blackout in the bridge?

that seems like the best answer
Direction 3: C'mon dude, stay with the C-1 Classic! Sure, some people say the Jazz/JB set is overrated but you liked them well enough! Plus, it looks dead sexy!

ya, dat 1.
I Like Cake
I voted other, and here are my suggestions...

LTD H-1001 - $750

LTD H-500 - $650

The JB (Bridge) and the '59 (Neck) should easily handle everything you listed, plus they have 5-way switching for more options. They're both pretty sexy IMHO and are decently priced
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
Quote by jm1681

LTD H-1001 - $750

LTD H-500 - $650

The JB (Bridge) and the '59 (Neck) should easily handle everything you listed, plus they have 5-way switching for more options. They're both pretty sexy IMHO and are decently priced

oh wait, ya i'm with this one. But get the ltd with the pointy head. It's sexier.
I Like Cake
It seems to me that you liked the Les Paul's sound the best, but the Classic's looks. If this is correct, then I'd go for the Les Paul.
Quote by jm1681

LTD H-1001 - $750

LTD H-500 - $650

That looks like it's pretty much the C-1 Classic, with uncovered pickups and an uglier finish.
Quote by Epic_Name
...But get the ltd with the pointy head. It's sexier.
Seek and thee shall find...

Sadly, I think they're out of production
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
Quote by jm1681
Seek and thee shall find...

Sadly, I think they're out of production

Would've uploaded it but photobucket doesn't work right now.

WHAIT WHAT!?!?!?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
I Like Cake
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
That looks like it's pretty much the C-1 Classic, with uncovered pickups and an uglier finish.
Thats because it kind of is. ESP and Schecter are in relation somehow and do share body styles.

As for the finish and pickups, the '59 is a much more musical pickup than the Jazz IMO. Harmonics are easier and the tone overall is smoother. While the finish may look sub-standard, I'd suggest gandering at one in person, they are beautiful

Quote by Epic_Name
...WHAIT WHAT!?!?!?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
Word

They were hot guitars
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
Quote by jm1681
Thats because it kind of is. ESP and Schecter are in relation somehow and do share body styles.

As for the finish and pickups, the '59 is a much more musical pickup than the Jazz IMO. Harmonics are easier and the tone overall is smoother. While the finish may look sub-standard, I'd suggest gandering at one in person, they are beautiful

Word

They were hot guitars

Ohwell.

as for the Ltd - Schecter thing, I'd say for looks the Schecter but the '59 is slightly better than the Jazz imo aswell.
I Like Cake
Eh, I voted C1 Hellraiser. I won one and it rapes. The cleans are fine if you dial your amp in correctly. The gain sound can't be beaten.
Floyd Rose =/= life changing experience.

you get used to it. But it depends what you wanna play. I'd say, hit for the schecter, but i dont like gibsons, and i hate LPs. (yeah, yeah)