I've been learning some jazz chords.
I can play the open ones but I cant work out barre chord versions of maj7th chords and minor7th chords... i know what 7th chords are though.
Please help.
"Jazz" chords are rarely played as barre chords or open chords. But to give you an idea anyway, if you know the 7th chord in a barre shape, the maj 7th is the 7th chord with a raised 7th, and the minor 7th chord is the same as the 7th but with a flat 3rd. I'm assuming you have some idea of how to spell out chords, and if you don't learn that.
12 fret fury
|-7--7--|-7--7-|
|-7--9--|-7--8-|
|-8--8--|-7--7-|
|-8--9--|-7--9-|
|-9--7--|-9--7-|
|-7--x--|-7--X-|
maj7s__min7s
There is no such thing as a "jazz chord". Jazz uses all types of chords, not just one magical one. Also, just because a certain chord may be used more in jazz than in other genres doesn't mean the chord is exclusive to jazz. A chord is part of music, not part of a genre.

To work out chords just look at the intervals and work from there. I'm fairly naff at it and it takes me for ages but say I want to play a Dmin7 chord. (yeah, I took an easy one for the example)

First I'd look at what intervals the chord has. 1 b3 5 b7. Minor third, perfect fifth and a minor seventh.

Then I work out what notes they'd be. So the root is D. The minor third would be F, the perfect fifth would be A and the minor seventh would be C.

Then I try to find where those notes would be on the fretboard and how I could voice the chord comfortably (this bit takes me for ages)

and voila! I have voiced Dmin7.
Last edited by confusius at Feb 5, 2008,
punk poser....if you dont play a chord as an open chord or a barre chord....how else do you play it??
XD

...and obviously you can move those shapes all around the neck.
are you familiar with the "CAGED" approach to chord theory?
it really helps to find chords around the neck if you're not too quick with spelling them out
Quote by BluesLP1990
punk poser....if you dont play a chord as an open chord or a barre chord....how else do you play it??

You can play them as three- or four-stringed chords on either adjacent or non-adjacent strings. For example, for an A7 chord, you could play it like this:

E|--
B|--
G|--
D|-5
A|-4
E|-5

Playing that would neither be an open nor barre chord, as it doesn't fit the criteria for either of them. And even though it has no 5th, it still counts as an A7 chord and is perfectly valid for that function.
Strat / SH-201 -> DOD Mixer -> ZVex Mastotron -> Fulltone Clyde -> BYOC OD II -> Ibanez FLL -> VS Chorus -> DOD FX 96 -> Boss DD-6 -> MXR 10-Band EQ -> Boss RC-2 -> Stereo Mixer -> Alesis PicoVerb -> Peavey Delta Blues 210/Yamaha Fifty112
Quote by seedmole
You can play them as three- or four-stringed chords on either adjacent or non-adjacent strings.

Playing that would neither be an open nor barre chord, as it doesn't fit the criteria for either of them. And even though it has no 5th, it still counts as an A7 chord and is perfectly valid for that function.

ehhh, alright i guess you're right about that. I still think of those kinds of chords as barre chords because they don't use open strings and they're built out of barre shapes with removed notes. But i guess technically you are fingering them without barring.