i have a lil' tiny bit of a problem,

me and a mate of mine wanna start a band, no idea what kinda band yet or anything but he wants me to sing as well as play bass. i'm alright with this, i think it be pretty cool, but its kinda hard to have nice, groovy basslines and sing at the same time.

anyone else have this problem?

also, sorry if this is the wrong thread... its about playing bass though so i thought "oh hey! this one'll do."
playing is accompaniment to your singing. So, to make it easier, play while singing. (not the other way around)

Whith plenty of practice you'd be a pro in no time.
It just seemed a good idea at the time to try putting a tenth in above it, which is a corny interval. But somebody had to do it just once, and now no one can ever do it again.'
There was a point where I couldn't sing and play at all, and now I can sing and play all my bands' stuff and many, many other songs without really practicing. The key is to LISTEN to the songs over and over - there's a rhythmic push/pull thing going on between vocals and bass and you need to listen to both at the same time, hearing how they are with one another. Sing this word with this note, etc. That could mentally prepare you to pick up the bass, sing, and play without even practicing. You just need to know the song very well. Know how to play it well, how to sing it well, and listen to it.

However, some songs are too difficult to sing and play to by listening to the song alone. This requires shedding and there's no substitute. Listen over and over, play over and over.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
like everyone else said, just practice. try to learn either the singing or the playing so well you dont have to think about it, so then you can do the other without having to split your mind.
Quote by webbtje
I'd give myself buttsecks, because I have a small penis.

www.myspace.com/southeastexit
My Band. Check it out.
its metal/electronica
Just start with an easy one.
For example, I've started with Sunshine Of Your Love, by Cream.
Other easy examples (From the top of my head):
Eric Clapton - Cocaine
The Beatles - While My Guitar Gently Weeps
RHCP - Otherside
Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit

PS, its extremly important to play the songs to a metronome first.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Money by Pink Floyd is pretty easy to sing and play, too, once you've got the bassline down.
Whats My Age Again - Blink 182

Easy! lmao

Mark Hoppus sings and play bass, but then again he plays bass more like a rhythm guitarist...
For the longest while, I couldn't do this worth a damn. What finally locked it for me, was a trick that a drummer taught me: to play and "talk" through the song a few times, then try to sing it. Talking forces you to lock the rhythm of the song (singing part) with rhythm of the bass or if your a drummer, the drum part. For most of us rhythm section folks, this is the part we struggle with rather than trying to match the notes you sing with the notes you are playing.
^ oh mate thanks the mate i wanna start with is a drummer so i'll try that

thanks to everyone else as well, your all dudes!

*hands everyone on tread an e-cookie*
Check out MXPX
and KISS

both have bassists that sing and while it is possible to play
and sing more than likely you will end up playing more of a
root note bassed, rhythm guitar styled part.

Of course you have all the parts where you arn't playing
to go get your funky rhythm on!
in my band i used to cheat - I would play a bass line with the same rhythm and basic shape (like if there was a high note in the melody, i would play an octave higher) as the singing.

And lots of root notes too!
tossing Slayer up too, not the most complex bass lines, but some songs are particularly fast, and the vocals are quite fast, not really singing, more of a yelling. Araya does a good job at it.
i saw something i wanna touch on.

Jared: remember Gene didnt sing on everything. what he did sing on was pretty simple to play. love it loud, god of thunder and domino are pretty simple. but r&r all nite i dont see how he did it. there's alot going on in that bass line.

start off finding pretty simple songs where the rhythm and singing are pretty much run hand in hand. and groove on it. when youre used to it. find harder songs.

i tend to stay away from mics because my voice is tuned to Qsharp.. (tuned slightly flat).
I read the Sting auto-biography and the reason he was able to play and sing was because he practiced like hell to get there.

Its funny, he compared trying to sing and playing bass to juggling and riding a bike at the same time.
I love Cheezy Poofs, you love Cheezy Poofs,
If we didn't eat Cheezy Poofs, We'd be lame!

WHY SO SERIOUS SON!?
it helps to write parts that are easier to sing to. not necessarily simple, but for example, for some reason i can play Spirit of Radio and sing along while playing really easy, but some really simple songs i cant do it. Its all about when you play the notes and what rhythm and stuff. oh and knowing the bass part AND the vocal part both down pat so good that you could play them in your sleep.
[img]http://www.fan2band.com/DynamicImages/97465_906_49_1997.gif[/img]
Spirit of the Radio is one of the few Rush songs where Geddy isn't playing like a madman while singing.

I know what you mean also... there's something about the rhythm b/w the vocals and bassline that make it easy to play and sing for the most part.
While singing and playing bass at the same time is always hard, it can be done (think Sting or Paul McCartney). The more you do it, the better you'll get and the more comfortable you'll become at playing grooves and singing at the same time.

Also, since the bass and vocals work together to create the basic harmony of any song, the bass can be an interesting instrument to write songs on.