Page 1 of 2
Hey guys. I just strung up my strat with a vintage trem with the same strings I always use (D'addario Super light 09) and for some reason, now the strings are FLUSH against the neck of the guitar.

I don't really know why this happened, because I never made any adjustments to the bridge or the truss rod, so I really don't know what's going on.

Any suggestions?
Last edited by serizawa at Feb 6, 2008,
despite what you say about the same strings it sounds like you have a lighter gauge on, so the floating bridge is not being pulled up from the guitar body.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Nah, the strings are definitely the same gauge. I still have the box from the other ones I used before.

They didn't pull up the bridge before, either, but they were never touching the neck of the guitar.
It could be caused by the fact the the strings are new and not properly stretched yet.
Try stretching them for a while, if that doesn't work, raise the action?
stretching wouldnt help^

did you take all the strings off at once?
when you do, and dont stabilize the bridge in the trem cavity, the springs can pull, shift, and pull too hard on the bridge.

adjust the screws in the trem cavity. a couple of turns to loosen them up a bit.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
^ hes right ^
stretching wont make enogh of a change at all,
raise the action
or use a heavier gauge
GT

05 3 tone sunburst deluxe strat
line 6 spyder III 30 watt

epiphone special II les paul
SD-50CE silvertone acoustic electric
Quote by jj1565
stretching wouldnt help^

did you take all the strings off at once?
when you do, and dont stabilize the bridge in the trem cavity, the springs can pull, shift, and pull too hard on the bridge.

adjust the screws in the trem cavity. a couple of turns to loosen them up a bit.

Hm. I didn't stabilize the bridge. I read somewhere that it's a good idea to replace one string at a time.

Maybe next time I should do that. Until then, I'm going to try and loosen the screws in the bottom of the trem some.
no

not the screw on the bottom of the trem.

if the bridge is dipped into the guitar, adjust the screws in the BACK of the guitar, in the trem cavity.

if the strings are just a little low, then use a tiny allen wrench on the pegs on the front face of each saddle, to raise each of those strings.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by 05delstrat
^ hes right ^
stretching wont make enogh of a change at all,
raise the action
or use a heavier gauge

Jenny is a she

And yes, she is right.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
@jj1565
That's what I did. I guess I mis-typed it

But even after doing it, the strings still have a really low action. And as for adjusting the height of the saddles, I don't have very much space on the little screws left to do it on.

Anymore solutions before I'm forced to upgrade to a heavy string gauge? I really like playing on super lights.
Last edited by serizawa at Feb 5, 2008,
measure the neck angle.

fret the first fret on the Low E at the same time,
fret the last fret on the low E, where the neck and body meet.

with both places held, look at the middle frets, 7-9th.

if the string lays on the fretwire there, then you dont have enough neck bend,
too much bend, if you can fit a credit card in the space between the fret wire and the string.

^^haha FUA, i dont even notice anymore.

and TS you can can call me Jenny, everyone does.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

^im a little confused actually shotsie, at first i thought he was saying the bridge dipped. but now i think the neck just relaxed.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

i want a pic of his saddle screws. people say there isn't much left to twist it because they try it with a plier or their fingers. without using a hex key. imo, those fender saddle hex keys are hard to find... it's not a standard thickness.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
@Jenny
Hah, thanks a lot for all your help.

I did what you said and there was only a teeny gap in that space that can barely fit a credit card. If I let one go, it stays exactly in that place. But I'm not sure if maybe I raised the height of the tremolo too much, either way.

Sorry to be so difficult.

@ECistheBest
Haha, I've got one of those allen keys, though! It came with the guitar from Japan.
Quote by serizawa
But I'm not sure if maybe I raised the height of the tremolo too much, either way.

im really not sure what you mean by this. and it's why im so confused.

is the bridge level?

i wish you would post a picture, im not sure you didnt initially turn the worng screws.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

When you want to adjust the truss rod do it nice and slow and a 1/4 turn at a time. When you have the guitar in your sitting position, to make the neck bow foward, which would take the strings away from the neck, turn the wrench counter clockwise, or pushing the wrench away from you.

After you do about 1/4 of a turn play the guitar a little. Raise the bridge up slightly. If this doesn't solve the problems wait a few hours then adjust the neck a little more. You must do this very smoothly in very small amounts. You're bending wood, it can break. Take your time.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
u bought the guitar in japan??? me tooo!!!

hm. if u got the allen, then it's not the problem... and my guitar doesn't buzz with my bridge all the way down flush on the guitar...

i'd think it's the neck angle or a back bow...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by MESAexplorer
When you want to adjust the truss rod do it nice and slow and a 1/4 turn at a time. When you have the guitar in your sitting position, to make the neck bow foward, which would take the strings away from the neck, turn the wrench counter clockwise, or pushing the wrench away from you.

After you do about 1/4 of a turn play the guitar a little. Raise the bridge up slightly. If this doesn't solve the problems wait a few hours then adjust the neck a little more. You must do this very smoothly in very small amounts. You're bending wood, it can break. Take your time.

holy crap do you not even see me here. are my posts invisible?
*looks around, i dont feel invisible.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

^did u post something? i don't see a thing.

Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
LAf, ok well i guess it doesnt matter much anyway, as im going to bed.

TS, just trying to make sure there wasnt something else going on before i told you to adjust the neck.

seems like Mesa is dying to take you through it.

i was just trying to ensure the bridge was level first.
good night and ill check back tomorrow either way.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

1) Bridge is not level, try leveling it out by either adding springs or tightening the trem claw. (Unless you want it to be floating, in which case, all the more power to you.)

2)The screws that adjust your action are nearly falling out, check the neck angle, neck bow and nut height and adjust accordingly.

There's probably something else, but I can't think of it.
yeah, your bridge is lifted. fine if you have a free floating bridge. even still that's high.

so, you'll want to level the bridge, lower the pegs on those saddles and THEN you'll need to adjust the neck.

i dont suggest you bother adjusting the neck until you get the bridge in check.
the neck is still going to be curved the same way (most likely back bowed) but you'll get a better idea of where you stand, and how much you need to adjust, if you arent trying to compensate for that back bow all over the place.

i hardly ever suggest this, but there's a lot of work here, if you dont seem up to it then you can invest the $30 and let a good shop do it.

if you want to adjust, then tell me if anything what you want to do to the bridge to level it and then, we can adjust the neck.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Honestly, I think I might be able to manage it.

But that's half because I don't really have a choice, haha. I've got to do some saving up and that $30 isn't gonna be spendable any time soon, unfortunately. I hope this is really the problem, though. I don't want to f'up my new guitar--a new neck would be actually impossible for me to find.
ok flip the guitar over.

add a spring and or tighten those two screws to bring the bridge down a little.

after that, assess the saddle heights again, then remeasure the neck angle, if there's no room at the middle frets, then turn a 1/4" in a Counter Clockwise direction.

dont force the turn. and dont turn more than 1/4". let the guitar sit an hour to settle.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

The bridge looks similar to mine, except the action (quite low) is perfect with the neck almost straight.

Pics of my bridge here ---> https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=779902

Also, if you do decide to fiddle around with the truss rod, be sure to slacken your strings a bit. Make a small adjustment like how Jenny described, then retune to pitch. Repeat if it requires more adjustment.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
^yeah, his is a bit high and looks uneven as well.

nice guitar you got there.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

I'm about 90% sure it's not uneven. The angle I took the picture at, I think is kind of off.

I'm gonna have my guitar soon, so I'll write some updates then.

When I adjust the saddles after I put down the bridge, how much should I let the screws come up?
level the bridge a little and see if you can bring the saddles down a little. you might not even be able to, until you adjust the neck.

there's no "specific height" it's just that urs are so obviously maxxed out, there's an obvious problem.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
^yeah, his is a bit high and looks uneven as well.

nice guitar you got there.

Mine measured was a little under 1/8th of an inch up (recommended, according to Fender). His looks a tad bit higher. Hard to tell from just the pics though.

Thanks for the compliment!

Wanna see my other... stuff?
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."

I tried lowering the bridge some. I think it's fairly okay for me to lower the saddles now, yes? Or should I make it flush against the body? (Like it was before--when the strings were pressed directly against the neck.)

Here are some pictures of the saddles after I lowered them. It's back to where it was before I had raised the bridge as much as it was up before. What's weird is that now when I fret any strings, they don't sound. The strings are stuck up on the 21st fret, it looks like.

None of this sh*t makes sense to me. I have no idea what possibly could have happened.

Edit: I have no idea how, but now the bridge is sitting flush against the body again. WTF?
^its from angular force/torque thing.

6 screws is the pivot point (center of the circular motion), and the height of the saddles is technically your radius. when the radius of the circular motion is longer (when the saddle is high) the force required to raise the bridge is less. when the saddle is lower, the radius of this circular motion is shorter, requiring more force to pull the brdige up.

its like closing the door pushing on the handle, or pushing right next to the hinges.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
@ECistheBest

Ohhh, I get it now, haha. Thanks. I was worried I broke something. Again.
haha ok check the neck, you need some room there.

and the saddles didnt need to be quite so low.

it's frustrating trying to do this online. id rather just drive to ur house as this point.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565

it's frustrating trying to do this online. id rather just drive to ur house as this point.

Well hell... I shouldn't have bothered to learn guitar setups if I knew it would've been that easy...

serizawa: You're pretty quick with the camera, any chance you can take a picture of how the strings look on the neck? Admittedly I'm a little confuzzled as to where things are going here.
Haha, That's definitely possible seeing as we're both from NY.

Either way, I'm not really sure what you mean with room and the neck. I should s-l-o-w-l-y start adjusting the truss rod? In the meantime, I'll do the little first fret, last fret thing you wrote before.

Edit: Sure, I'll take some right now. By the way, sorry the quality of them is so weird and out of focus-y. I only have a semi-pro camera and the results are little...surreal, haha.
Page 1 of 2