Poll: What do you do unintentionally when playing challenging material?
Poll Options
View poll results: What do you do unintentionally when playing challenging material?
Blink your eyes
1 1%
Stick out your tongue
24 18%
The eyebrow twitch
2 2%
The stare
31 23%
The neck twitch
4 3%
Lick your lips
13 10%
Wtf are you talking about kid, who does any of these things?
18 14%
Other
39 30%
Voters: 132.
Page 1 of 2
What do you find yourself doing unconsciously when you're playing challenging material?

Personally I find myself opening my mouth and moving my jaw around on the hard parts. It looks really stupid (so I'm told) but I just can't seem to suppress it all of the time.
I look up when I'm playing really fast and it starts to hurt...Most of them I got over though.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Quote by NC777
What do you find yourself doing unconsciously when you're playing challenging material?

Personally I find myself opening my mouth and moving my jaw around on the hard parts. It looks really stupid (so I'm told) but I just can't seem to suppress it all of the time.

I used to do that a ton, but eventually when you cover the challenging stuff either it goes away, or you can focus more on making your mouth not move. Or, you could just say "Doodly doodly doo..." or something while playing, especially in solos. It looks pretty real when done on stage.
i move my mouth and close my eyes, and get a stupid look on my face =/
oh and i bend backwards O_o
my lips move and im not saying a word or anything its weird. i noticed it when i played in front of a mirror. my teacher grunts or curses really loud in spanish.
When I play challenging songs, I tend to move my fingers really, really fast.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
If you don't blink when you play then you could be in for some serious eye damage.

Seriously, blink.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
my gf told me once that I make my "sex face" while playing concentrated.

btw, after weeks of reading these boards I finally took the time to register
I kinda stick my tounge out and move it in and out, kinda thing I also squint, I get a similar reaction to hard Guitar Hero songs; makes me look stupid!
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Gotta be the tongue, I do it when i'm concentrating on ANYTHING
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
I open my mouth and count and switch from pick to fingers, damn i need a compressor my volume is so inconsistent
Quote by thefitz
Interesting. It turns out that there are people on the forum who play an upright bass. I'll make a note of that.

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

*stares at note for a minute*

*sits back down and resumes doing what I was doing*
Quote by Dudage
If you don't blink when you play then you could be in for some serious eye damage.

Seriously, blink.

Haha ya, I didn't really think that one out before wording it eh? Why is it so hard to make a post that doesn't get at least one smart-ass remark on this forum lol?

Quote by thefitz
When I play challenging songs, I tend to move my fingers really, really fast.

^ King of the sarcastic posters
Quote by NC777
Haha ya, I didn't really think that one out before wording it eh? Why is it so hard to make a post that doesn't get at least one smart-ass remark on this forum lol?

^ King of the sarcastic posters

it's thefitz, would you expect any less?
Slap a bass, not a ho.
I move my tounge from side to side in my mouth as fast as the fingers on my right hand go. It's really weird, but, whatever
I turn girls on.

I try to stop... but... well, it's quite frankly impossible.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
My mouth opens sometimes, or I grind my teeth too. Other times I bite the inside of my cheek for some reason. Not so much when I'm playing something hard, just when I get into the zone.
I open my mouth and cross my jaw or grind my teeth. Its a really sexy look.
Schecter Stiletto Studio-4 (Honey Satin finish)
Ibanez GSR 200 (Transparent Red finish)
Behringer BXL1800A
Hartke B150
Digitech Bass Synth Wah
Handmade killswitch

"Slapping is alot more violent and painful than fingering"
I tend to hunch waaaay over, so I've over the bass.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
I tend to move my jaw back and forth sideways, anc click my teeth in rhythm to the song. It's very subtle, but it never fails.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by NC777

same here im like what the f*k
Quote by SeveralSpecies
How the f*ck are you gonna get a cat to bark?

---------------------------5------8-----7-
----------------5-------------------------
------------------1-3-3-------/6----/5----
-1/3--1-1h3-------------------------------

Matt Freeman>You
I tend to bow my head more than normal (I also do it when I get into the music more), clench my teeth sometimes...bob my head some...Press my lips together pretty hard....I don't think I look that weird but it's noticeable...
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
What I do really varies from day to day. theres days where I kinda bob around and such, and sometimes I look like im glaring at something/someone but most of the time I kinda stick my tongue out. and if its something simple I'll dance around if im in a good enough mood.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Isn't this the same as the bass face thread from last week?

yep, pretty much a rip-off of my thread, but with a poll added to cover it up....ingenious!!!

haha, I still voted though

and it's all about the stare people!!!!
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Go wrong.

Oh, wait, that's intentional.

Really. I'm just letting the other guys save face.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
i usually just bite my lower lip, and have a weird ass expression on my face.
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

I make this face:

But seriously, if I'm trying something like the opening scales of Chromatic Fantasy, I've been told I make a very, very angry face. But, then again, I'm trying the opening scales of Chromatic Fantasy.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Im sorry Fitzy, but you look like such a redneck in that picture... Seriously it looks like someone opened the door to a trailer in Alabama after a Nascar race Earnhardt Jr. won.

Anyway I tend to put my lips in the inside of my mouth and lick my lips. It feels really cool after the songs over too.
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
Quote by silentdob
Im sorry Fitzy, but you look like such a redneck in that picture... Seriously it looks like someone opened the door to a trailer in Alabama after a Nascar race Earnhardt Jr. won.

Anyway I tend to put my lips in the inside of my mouth and lick my lips. It feels really cool after the songs over too.

It was taken at the Steelback Grand Prix, so I guess I am a redneck in that picture...
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I tend to bite my jaws togeather really hard! and crampt up in the middle of the song. don't feel anything my hands/fingers but in my freaking JAW! so stupid...
i tend to play a easy tune, like another one bites the dust, when i look at the music before playing.
~Insert Signature Here~
Page 1 of 2