Page 1 of 2
OK, so it's funny. I need amp help. My brother's kid (8 yrs old) wants to play electric guitar, so my brother found a nice Squier for dirt cheap, but he needs a decent amp for $100 or so, new or used. I admittedly know nothing about entry-level amps. (Many of you know I play some decent amps). I've seen hundreds of these threads, but never read them, because I never cared before. I simply don't have time to research this, & am NOT going to spend 2 hrs at Guitar Center wading through crap, when the UG brotherhood(& sisterhood) can supply the much needed info almost instantly!
I think the little guy would like a lot of different presets from clean to t3h br00talz. Just something simple enough for an 8 yr old. Also, it would help if it's resistant to spilled juice boxes & being kicked.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Check out the Roland Micro Cube if you want something small.
My Gear-

Guitars
- Schecter Gryphon
- Ibanez GRX40

Amp/Effects

- Crate FXT65 With DSP
- Dunlop Cry Baby Classic

My Choice
- DR 9's
- Dunlop 2mm
Microcuuuubbeee

Or a Vox AD15VT perhaps?
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
Yeah, get a Micro Cube, they can do cleans, br00talzzzzzzzzzzzz, and everything in between.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Quote by thrilla13w
spider 2

dont listen to him mine just broke 10 minutes ago.(left it on when i went to school )
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Quote by thrilla13w
anything but spider 2

fixed.

+1 to Vox Valvetronix.
Quote by lespaul#1
Indie stands for Industrial I think, like Marilyn Manson.

Ibanez RG2EX2 (Dimarzio Breed in bridge)
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Laney LV300T
Line 6 Toneport GX

The Falling Object Model
lololololol riffhog's making a which amp thread ! ZOMG101011.

seriously though, as mensioned before the roland micro cube seems a very good option.
also the vox AD15vt and the spider 3 15 watter. (an 8 year old won't hear the bad tone from a spider, but it has a buttload of effects which he'll love)
I'm going to have to go with the micro cube, but I hear good things about the vox da5 it's like ten dollars more than the micro cube and is supposed to have allot more features. I've played the micro cube and for such a cheap little thing it sounds awesome, I've never played throug a da5 but it's probably worth checking out.
Roland Microcube
Vox DA-5

Nice and small/simple.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by ibanez_rocker
Check out the Roland Micro Cube if you want something small.

+1

not too sure about the juice thing, but it should be cool other than that.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ I dunno, it may be able to survive the juice considering the amount of abuse mine has taken.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
I don't know much about the microcube to be honest. People seem to like it, but I'm going to throw in my 2 cents.

I'm not going to recommend any brands, but Search for used gear! you can get some really decent gear that is even hardly touched.
Thanks for the quick responses, folks. I'll stop by GC on my way home (I work 6 blocks away from GC!) today or tomorrow & check out the Cube & mini-Vox.
You guys are the best (except that smartass red Strat -JK!).
Thanks again!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Quote by SSL27
^ I dunno, it may be able to survive the juice considering the amount of abuse mine has taken.

ok, i guess i stand corrected.

i only tried one in the shop... next time i go i'll try pouring some juice into it.*

* not really.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I beg you to consider Kustom amps!
Har nånn egentli vorri langt sjøl om bestemt sæ for å bruk t å me gå å vill å gjør sjå mer lik?
@Perk - THE KID IS 8 YEARS OLD.

@Everyone else - THE KID IS 8 YEARS OLD. AND WILL PROBABLY ABUSE HIS AMP.

Forget the Vox. The Cube can do what an 8 year old wants. Plus it's built like a mini tank. I can almost guarantee that an 8 year old won't be able to break it.
The downside to the microcube is that there are a fair number of dials and such to control the tone and effects. The original post indicated that "presets" would be good, which I agree with. What are some beginner amps where the amp models and effects are preset?
Why don't you just give him whatever amp you aren't using today?

Otherwise, +1 on the Microcube. I've seen 'em in pawn shops dirt cheap, too.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
Why don't you just give him whatever amp you aren't using today?

Otherwise, +1 on the Microcube. I've seen 'em in pawn shops dirt cheap, too.

slats, obviously you are well on your way to getting my vote for funniest contributor for '08. I almost had to kill the last 8 yr old that breached the 2-mile territorial limit on my SLO, AND I almost spilled my beer trying to kill him.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard

If hes 8 years old, go with a Spider. He'll have fun with the LED's, effects, and purty knobs.
Sure they sound like terrible but hes an 8 year old. He'll probably **** his pants when he plays with the phaser
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Quote by riffhog
OK, so it's funny. I need amp help. My brother's kid (8 yrs old) wants to play electric guitar, so my brother found a nice Squier for dirt cheap, but he needs a decent amp for $100 or so, new or used. I admittedly know nothing about entry-level amps. (Many of you know I play some decent amps). I've seen hundreds of these threads, but never read them, because I never cared before. I simply don't have time to research this, & am NOT going to spend 2 hrs at Guitar Center wading through crap, when the UG brotherhood(& sisterhood) can supply the much needed info almost instantly!
I think the little guy would like a lot of different presets from clean to t3h br00talz. Just something simple enough for an 8 yr old. Also, it would help if it's resistant to spilled juice boxes & being kicked.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Can't help much with the spilled juice boxes. Nothing is gonna stand up to that.

Simple? Epi Valve Jr. One knob and an on/off switch.
Great tone? Yep.
You can't even make it sound bad, because there aren't a bunch of knobs to turn the wrong way.

$100 or so, new or used? Maybe used for $100. $150, new.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
I just want to thank you all (even red Strat & slats )for your suggestions about my nephew's amp. My brother is actually taking your advice & buying the Microcube. I still had to convince him, though. He knows little about amps, & kept asking "What about this one?", "What about that one?", & the worst was "What about this little Marshall? Aren't Marshalls like the best amps in the world?"! Horrifying.
You guys saved me a ton of time. You're the best. Thanks again!
Hopefully you'll never see a "Which amp?" thread from me ever again!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard

Quote by riffhog
Thanks for the quick responses, folks. I'll stop by GC on my way home (I work 6 blocks away from GC!) today or tomorrow & check out the Cube & mini-Vox.
You guys are the best (except that smartass red Strat -JK!).
Thanks again!

dude! get a t00b amp! he'll totally be able to tell the difference!

I'd have to say the Microcube is your best bet, also.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
I picked up a Fender JAM 75watts 12 inch speaker built in overdrive, reverb, chorus. and dual inputs. I did a little looking on ebay and didnt find anything worthy once you add in shipping costs. So I went to a local pawn shop in san antonio (thousands of them here LOL) and found this Fender for 70 bucks. I looks damn near brand new and sounds great, even when my neighbor comes over to plug in we jam together on same amp and it stills sounds good. Point is if you have decent pawn shops in your town go check it out. I got a great deal and I love my amp all for 70 bucks and if its a decent pawn shop it will come with some type of gaurantee or at least a return policy. ALSO, I been playing for 5 months now and started off on a little 10 watt amp that cost me half of what my awesome amp cost now. what a waste dont start small IMHO cause those little amps suck. At least if it big and you suck you can turn it down vs. trying to pull watts out of a little overpriced 10 watter that ultimately sounds like crap. I have ADHD so i have no idea what I just said. Whatever be safe have fun rock hard and give me 5 dollars please lol peace to all people with a vowel in their name! Yes, Thats you!
Damn it, I missed my chance to comment on a 'which amp?' thread from riffhog
microcube is a solid choice definately, but its like 125, a bit over budget. The roland cube15 is like 90 bucks, but has less options. The ad15vt is another awesome choice, and definately worth the little extra it costs over the microcube and cube 15. Overall, go for the ad15vt, if you're not too concerned with budget.
Quote by mangaka82
microcube is a solid choice definately, but its like 125, a bit over budget. The roland cube15 is like 90 bucks, but has less options. The ad15vt is another awesome choice, and definately worth the little extra it costs over the microcube and cube 15. Overall, go for the ad15vt, if you're not too concerned with budget.

He can afford the extra cost, but he just wants to be sure the kid is going to stick with it for a while before he invests too much money. I also (as some suggested) told him to check pawn shops, but my bro is a big craigslist user. He's in sales, & drives all over, so he's always hunting deals on stuff!
Thanks.

Hakanku-
Next time. LOL
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard

Quote by riffhog
He can afford the extra cost, but he just wants to be sure the kid is going to stick with it for a while before he invests too much money. I also (as some suggested) told him to check pawn shops, but my bro is a big craigslist user. He's in sales, & drives all over, so he's always hunting deals on stuff!
Thanks.

Hakanku-
Next time. LOL

What is craigslist? better go check that out
Don't get a valvetronix... he's 8. they're quite tricky to work.

For once, and only in this circumstance i will recomend the marshall mg10.

It's simple and for anyone about to say that's not a good idea for the tone, he's 8. he's not gonna care!

The
Quote by turbulenced
Don't get a valvetronix... he's 8. they're quite tricky to work.

For once, and only in this circumstance i will recomend the marshall mg10.

It's simple and for anyone about to say that's not a good idea for the tone, he's 8. he's not gonna care!

The

why when you could get a cube for the same price...no brainer?
+1 for the cube, I've been playing guitar for 5 years... Played many many amps and the cube blew me away. It vomits tone.
Page 1 of 2