I am considering upgrading my SG pickups from the standard 490T and R, as I am alittle disappointed in their tone. I came across the Gibson '57 Classic and the '57 Plus and was wondering if the $120 dollar price tag is worth it or should I opt for something else? I mainly play classic rock, blues, and occasionally funk. I don't think there is any room in the SG body for active pickups, but I don't know too much about them so I could very well be wrong. Assuming that's true, I am mainly looking for something passive.
oh and you could easily fit active's into there, blackouts or emg's would bea pricy but a good choice
I put 57's in my SG. They sound good, but I agree they're overpriced. I changed the bridge p/u to an Angus Young Signature p/u, and love it. If I had to do it over again though, I would check out the Seymour's.
Thank you all for the advice! Just curious if active pickups would sound good with what kind of music I play. I don't know too much about them and when I think about active pickups I usually associate them with heavy metal type music.
actually, if you play classic rock, you're probably after the PAF sound. for that the stephens design pickups (300 bucks a set - so only 60 bucks more than a set of gibsons, but handwound and really close to original PAFs) are the best afaik

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by eXperiment63
Or he could get some custom handwounds from CorduroyEW for around $220-250.

Yeah, but even CorduroyEW admits that he doesn't do PAFs like Stephens Design just because of the years of research Dave Stephens has put into PAFs. The Platinum PAF I & II sets by Stephens Design are really amazing pickups, as are his Pig 90s, which are another thought. There are sound clips and links to videos on his website.

Edit: And just so you know I'm not putting words in his mouth:
Quote by CorduroyEW
Of all the PAF's I have heard, his are hands down the best sounding. Real vintage PAF's were great sometimes and other times they were horrible. Stepens design PAF's sound like the good ones

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=621593&highlight=stephens+design
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Feb 6, 2008,
^exactly what i was gonna say
nothing against corduroyEW, but stephens has just got years of experience

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009