I posted this in the stick about tubes, but i think it is the wrong place for it so...
I am planning on getting an amp, and I think a tube amp is what i need. I want something that is good for Blues and Rock, will last a long time, and can play over drums, and maybe with a band.
I was thinking of getting a Peavey Classic 30.

How long will the tubes last if I play it with the volume at 2 or 3 for most of the time and occasionally higher.
Hello
From what I've heard about it, the Classic 30 should be a good choice, but you should also look into Palominos. The V3212 is in the same price range if I'm not mistaken.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Valves generally last about 2 years on average or so.
The C30 is pretty good for blues and rock, but if you're in Europe, I would point you in the direction of a Laney VC- that's the kind of stuff they excel at. A 15 watt valve amp will easily get over drums, but you *might* not have that much clean headroom for your blues-y stuff, so I would guess that 30 is about right.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by SSL27
From what I've heard about it, the Classic 30 should be a good choice, but you should also look into Palominos. The V3212 is in the same price range if I'm not mistaken.

Also the Fender Blues Jr. It's the amp that Peavey ripped off when they made the Classic 30
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
^ That's what I forgot! Thanks. Seriously though, the Blues Junior would be an equally good option.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Quote by SSL27
^ That's what I forgot! Thanks. Seriously though, the Blues Junior would be an equally good option.

MAKE SURE you get the tweed one though. It's a bit more expensive (530 USD) But it has a better speaker and it looks a lot better.

Either way, it sounds more "true" than the Classic 30 IMO.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Quote by MXBoy11
Any other suggstions? How long do tubes last?

I'm not too sure. Probably around 2 years, that would be my guess. It depends on how much you play.

Also, if you want to play harder stuff with a Blues Jr. you'll need a Tubescreamer or other OD, as it doesn't get very gainy.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
It's not a set time limit, it's how much they're used.

If you play it for two hours a week only, they'll probably last quite a long time.

If they're on for 20 hrs of gigs and practices, you might be replacing them every few months ot so.
- Fender, Taylor, Martin, Ibanez, Ramirez, Marshall, Boss, Morley, Mesa/Boogie, Univox, Shure, Monster, Dunlop, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Lace, Sperzel, DW, Tama, Zildjian, and a little Johnnie Walker
Quote by MXBoy11
How long do tubes last?

Read what I said...again...and slower...
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

I dunno, i have read that the Blues Jr doesnt last long, has cheap soldering, cheap soundpots, and go through tubes quickly.
Hello
Quote by Yngwi3
Read what I said...again...and slower...

You said valves last 2 years. Valves arent tubes...am i right?
Hello
Quote by MXBoy11
You said valves last 2 years. Valves arent tubes...am i right?

Lol tubes are just what us Brits call valves
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

30W is a good size for gigging, IMHO. You'll have the Classic 30 around 3 on the volume in rehearsal. It's pretty loud. As stated, tubes last around two years or so, maybe longer.

I wouldn't go smaller than 30W. I'd check out the Fender Hot Rod, Peavey Delta Blues, and the Traynor YCV 40, too.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
No, they're very similar to light bulbs. Instead of screwing in though they have pins and you push them in.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by MXBoy11
I dunno, i have read that the Blues Jr doesnt last long, has cheap soldering, cheap soundpots, and go through tubes quickly.

Yeah, in the ****ty black Blues Jr., but in the NOS Tweed one you don't have that sort of problem.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Quote by SSL27

V3212 = amazing. The Classic 30 is also very nice. Both would be good choices.

But, since I own one......... V3212 all the way. But if you go for a Palomino, definately check into used American ones. The Vietnam ones aren't nearly as good in quality or sound.

And Slatsmanian is right. I keep my V32 on 3 at all times (practice, playing alone, in my room........ gets a tad loud ). And don't go over 30w.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Last edited by stratman_13 at Feb 5, 2008,
I heard the blackheart half stack amps are good. check them out (there's also combos)
What is the difference between Tube Amps and SS Amps

oh we could go on for days
in a nutshell, tube amps sound much, MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better than ss amps.
going further, ss amps are more robust (as in you dont have to change any tubes).
that fender frontman may LOOK nice, what with its high wattage and all, but with amps its the sound that matters, and the sound from that isnt great. the reason it's so cheap is because it's ss. in the long run, tube amps about a much better investment, but beginners tend to buy ss amps because of their low price.
i'll let others add, because i probably havent covered the huge huge differences.
i second the blackheart amps, they are just as cheap and sometimes cheaper than many large ss amps, but are all tube and sound great.
Tube amps generally sound nicer than solid state amps, but you have to play them loudly. The good thing about solid state amps is that its easy to just turn one on and get the tone you want.

A 40 watt tube amp is much louder than a 40 watt solid state amp because of the way they function (more energy efficient I guess). So you can't use wattage to compare tube and solid state.

There are a lot of people on these forums that will tell you that it's not worth spending a single penny on solid state amps, bu the truth is, those people probably don't own tube amps anyway. I would go to a guitar store and try that frontman amp and see if you like it. 100watts seems like a lot of power though. You sure you need that much?
Main setup:

ESP Eclipse
PRS Torero SE
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster head, 2x12 cab
FX: Crybaby Slash Wah, Ibanez TS9x, Mesa Boogie Throttle Box, Boss TU-2, BF-3, DD-3, PS-6, RC-3, etc.
^ i think 100watts is too much. the companies are allowed to charge more for added more wattage.
however, like noodlegt said, tube amps are much louder than ss amps if the wattage is the same for both, so a 15 watt tube amp cranked would probably be as loud as a 40 watt ss amp (or more) cranked.
but yeah, like everyone says, just go to your local store and just try amps out. don't just base your choice on looks or brand, see what sounds best (obviously)
Tubes are much better imo but some solid states have pretty nice tone.
My friend has some ibanez amp.. I forget what kind.. about the same size as my peavey classic 50 and he got it for like 350 bux and it has a very nice sound
Quote by randomcomicboy
oh we could go on for days
in a nutshell, tube amps sound much, MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better than ss amps.
going further, ss amps are more robust (as in you dont have to change any tubes).
that fender frontman may LOOK nice, what with its high wattage and all, but with amps its the sound that matters, and the sound from that isnt great. the reason it's so cheap is because it's ss. in the long run, tube amps about a much better investment, but beginners tend to buy ss amps because of their low price.
i'll let others add, because i probably havent covered the huge huge differences.
i second the blackheart amps, they are just as cheap and sometimes cheaper than many large ss amps, but are all tube and sound great.

I saw the 5W Half Stack and it seems really nice! Do you think it is loud enough to gig with??
Hello
Quote by MXBoy11
What is the difference between Tube Amps and SS Amps, cause they are so expensive. I mean, this Fender Frontman 100W seems like a good amp, and it is pretty cheap.

That's a question that really only your ears can answer. IMO, tubes have a warmer smoother tone and SS is kinda harsh and well, digital sounding. Also, tube amps will be, or at least seem, louder than a SS of the same wattage.
^ No. Stick with the idea of a Classic 30.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Yeah, i just like the fact that i will save so much money. I have been looking around ebay, and i was wondering what the difference is between This and This. They are different. Are they very different?
Hello
You may think you are saving money by purchasing a SS amp.

But what happens to most of us, is that once we have been playing on a SS amp for a while, we become dissatisfied with its tone and begin to long for a better amplifier -- usually a tube amplifier. So in the long run, you are better off buying a nice tube amp once, rather than buying something you'll be unsatisfied with and then upgrading. If you would like to save money, buy a used tube amp.

I think SS amps are fine for bedroom practice and beginners on a budget. But tube amps are so much more satisfying to play and listen to. You don't have to be a tube amp snob to get it -- my wife, who has had to endure much crappy practicing by me, could hear the difference immediately when I switched from SS to tube.
Quote by MXBoy11
i was wondering what the difference is between This and This. They are different. Are they very different?

They're the same amp. Exactly. The first one is the older styling (I have the same one), the second one is the new design. The second one may have a cage for the tubes. That's not a bad feature, but not worth $200.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I believe that generally 15w tube fully cranked is loud enough to gig. If you want cleans at gigging volumes you would need about 30w.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Ha, I used to think solidstates sounded really good, I got a DSL 50 half stack for christmas, now im not the best guitarist by any means, im completely self taught and just love to learn songs and have fun, but I went try some guitars out the other day at the music shop and I played through a cube 30 and I couldnt get what sounded like a "good sound" to me out of it, I guess you just kinda get used to the sound and you dont realize it. So do yourself a favor get a tube amp, its worth it for the excellent tone you'll get. (I know solidstate tone, I have used a Cube 15 for 1 1/2 years, big difference.)
Quote by MXBoy11
What about the Peavey Valveking??

I played one today.....

It was a little harsh to my ears. I think you'll be much happier with a Classic 30 or a Palomino, or even a Fender tube amp.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
I tried a plaomino, but it seemed defective maybe. It wasnt really getting loud, and the distortion wasnt working. I think something was wrong with it.
Hello